Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't be either foolish or crafty. Nobody is making any guesses about you yourself. It is about what you do, why you say you do it and what our reaction is. You played the 'you know nothing about me' card before it was time for it. Bad fail there jimmie.
What do I do that bothers you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 10:32 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How has my desire for you affected you?
I didn't know you had a desire for me.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:43 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Very well argued - if the claims you make are true. Are they, or are they just what you require to be true to validate the argument? We know the 'argument from violent crime' stats do not support the claim. maybe suicide and peer -murder rates don't support it, either... And of course, there is no breakdown into religious afilliation, so you can claim that they had no religion or 'family unity' (as though you could only have that within religion) and we can't really disprove it, but it does remain an unsubstantiated claim on your part.
Validate the argument? It would be madness if atheists approached life in such a extreme manner. Where you can't believe in anything unless you prove it true first. No I can't validate it just like you can't validate the majority of "claims". It would require a God level knowledge like studying a sucide victim's life experiences and having access to their inner thoughts.

BUT the evidence does suggest that I'm right. For example, New Zealand is a highly developed beautiful country. Yet last year, they started addressing a real problem. EPIC suicide rates, on a scale never seen before. Now why is that? From a logical perspective, I would think the suicide rates would be higher in a country steeped in poverty rather than one where people can enjoy a high standard of living. Here is one article that backs up my "claim".

Quote:

“We know connection to identity is a protective force. And there is a huge lack of access to a strong, cohesive cultural history in New Zealand. When Maori have access to their language, geneology, whakapapa and marae, they are really strong preventive measures against mental distress and suicide.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...it-record-high

New Zealand is a country that is rapidly becoming more atheist. Combine that with a lack of cultural identity like this article mentions and you get the same level of hopelessness that drives someone to end their life.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Most NRA members are Christians.
Yeah so what does that prove? <crickets>

Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yeah so what does that prove? <crickets>
crickets, eh, before you'd even given him ten minutes to respond.

Shall we take that as a hopeful plea or just another false accusation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What do I do that bothers you?

Jimmie, a compulsive night-time barker three streets away bothers me far more than you do. Rather I value your fumbling contributions highly as a way of demonstrating what is lamentably wrong with theist apologetics.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Most NRA members are Christians.
Most terrorists around the globe are of the Islamic extraction.

It's interesting how these threads get so divisive and off-topic in this forum.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Validate the argument? It would be madness if atheists approached life in such a extreme manner. Where you can't believe in anything unless you prove it true first. No I can't validate it just like you can't validate the majority of "claims". It would require a God level knowledge like studying a sucide victim's life experiences and having access to their inner thoughts.

BUT the evidence does suggest that I'm right. For example, New Zealand is a highly developed beautiful country. Yet last year, they started addressing a real problem. EPIC suicide rates, on a scale never seen before. Now why is that? From a logical perspective, I would think the suicide rates would be higher in a country steeped in poverty rather than one where people can enjoy a high standard of living. Here is one article that backs up my "claim".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...it-record-high

New Zealand is a country that is rapidly becoming more atheist. Combine that with a lack of cultural identity like this article mentions and you get the same level of hopelessness that drives someone to end their life.
I just had a quick look. I don't know how it compares with its' previous Less atheist rcord but currently it is just below france and the US for suicide rates. Your argument seems to be (as i suspected) based on prejudiced accusations, rather than facts.

I had a look a violent crime rater (per 1,000) and the heftier ones (near the top, Highly religious India, - they could do with more atheism) and the Good ol' US of A up there in the top 20.

NZ? half way down with the piddlingly low rates. What's this uninformed garbage that you're posting Jeff?

I did note a sudden peak which fell off immediately. I have no idea what this signifies (a similar one in Norway what a Christian shoot up) but you are leaping joyfully to conclusions that it is related to increase in atheism.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-29-2018 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't know you had a desire for me.
Post #112

Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
crickets, eh, before you'd even given him ten minutes to respond.

Shall we take that as a hopeful plea or just another false accusation?

Jimmie, a compulsive night-time barker three streets away bothers me far more than you do. Rather I value your fumbling contributions highly as a way of demonstrating what is lamentably wrong with theist apologetics.
So, nothing.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Most terrorists around the globe are of the Islamic extraction.

It's interesting how these threads get so divisive and off-topic in this forum.
Nothing like a wide -ranging discussion and some toxic sectarian snarling before Mensa drops by and cracks some heads together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality