Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM

36 posts, read 14,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Let me refresh your memory as to what I actually said:

Never did I say anything about you (or anyone else) needing to have a belief in anything. As a matter of fact, I said that if I was an atheist, I would approach the life the same way I do now. The thing is, for me, it was much more difficult when I thought there was no God. I'm not saying it is for you.

Okay. Good enough. So, again, you're looking to be empowered, and I think you can be, with or without a belief in God.

You asked me how my life would be different as an atheist. I answered you. I've never once implied that my experience is anyone else's.
You keep associating the existence of a creator with spiritual stuff, while I started the topic in a physical sense. We're not quite on the same quantum frequency (chuckle), huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
You keep associating the existence of a creator with spiritual stuff, while I started the topic in a physical sense. We're not quite on the same quantum frequency (chuckle), huh?
Yeah, maybe I was reading you wrong and all you really want is some water turned into wine. I can't help you with that.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
(Response to Pleroo from question above) People - especially disbelievers - often expect God to communicate and respond like man; in physical and material ways. I've found God to communicate on a completely different and unique level.
Except you folks have been doin' it the wrong way. I've talked him too, but he reveals that he's actually a centaur named Jack, and people have been misinterpreting him as God.

Follow me--the true prophet of Jack the Centaur!

Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Please, listen: You made an assumption that I told you that you NEED a belief in God. I never said any such thing. Clear?
And you made an assumption that I want water to turn into wine.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You should not need proof of a God but that the likihood of a God is much higher than there is not, the rest would be faith. I am not sure how you would change from what you think now to thinking that the likihood is greater than the unlike hood. Myself I think the likihood for a God is low and not sure what would change my mind hence it is not really a question I would seriously ask as I don't know myself what it would take.

Perhaps as a show of power and goodwill the religious will get together and pray for the recovery of our unnamed poster.
You got the ''don't know'' part correct. Except the likelihood of God is like, REALLY low. The best evidence theists can come up with are holy books (like the Bible) and personal experiences. Neither are objective evidence.

Wait, recovery from what? Please elaborate.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
And you made an assumption that I want water to turn into wine.
Correct, based on your post, I did make that assumption:

Quote:
I didn't say I'm a scientist. I'm not one--like, at all.

But if I were to conduct my own experiment, I'd:

1. Get a glass of water.
2. Attach it to a machine that will detect any anomalies.
3. Pray that it turns into wine.
4. Get people of various religious beliefs to pray that it turns into wine.
5. Do all of the above multiple times.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well, like a scientist, you could try it and investigate it. But you apparently don't want to, and/or are intimidated that you might find it all to be real after all.

It's up to you. Your potential loss has no effect on the rest of us. I could personally care less what you do.
Aw, you care, or you wouldn't take time to answer what might have proven to be someone sincerely wishing to have a worthwhile discussion. Not the case, obviously, but you can't deny you care about people.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
they don't really converse with other people. they read from a script and they read both parts. no other people are needed or necessary.

I actually asked someone who posts a lot on here, how many religious people he knew personally, how many he had spent time with over the years, over the decades. He was aghast. He said of course none, the very idea repulsed him. He said he did not need to actually talk to any of them because he "knew what they are like from reading about them on the internet."
Seriously? Does he live under a rock or something? Maybe he lives in a communist country? Even a mega-indoors atheist like me has a quite a few Christian friends.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Well, like a scientist, you could try it and investigate it. But you apparently don't want to, and/or are intimidated that you might find it all to be real after all.

It's up to you. Your potential loss has no effect on the rest of us. I could personally care less what you do.
Woah, woah, woah...I'm ''intimidated'' to investigate?

I've elaborated my position in the OP--I'm not convinced of a creator yet, but open to any new *testable* evidence that might change my mind.

Plus, appeal to emotion doesn't work. YOUR potential loss has no effect on the rest of US as well.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I believe this as well. And I think it's worth reiterating your words: "IF a person wants". There's no penalty imposed on those who don't want to as far as I know.
Except for burning in hell, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality