Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 02:23 PM

36 posts, read 14,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I occasionally get a peek at how Arach's coming along. On the showing of the last post, not at all.

You will eventually discover that Arach gets ideas into his head about atheists and if you say that isn't how it is, he will simply refuse to listen.
Couldn't agree more. All theist arguments I've seen so far can be boiled down to ''nothing will ever shake my belief''.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:26 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
I'm not convinced of a creator yet, but open to any new *testable* evidence that might change my mind.
No, you're not open to it. You could test it as discussed before, but you won't even begin to try. No guts, no glory.

You're just playing games with people here.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
I occasionally get a peek at how Arach's coming along. On the showing of the last post, not at all.

You will eventually discover that Arach gets ideas into his head about atheists and if you say that isn't how it is, he will simply refuse to listen.
And I always appreciate that Arach is an atheist who approaches the subject with an even hand, unlike so many others.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And I always appreciate that Arach is an atheist who approaches the subject with an even hand, unlike so many others.
That's how he presents himself, and the Theists swallow it whole. As an atheist (and he is) he does not believe in a god (yet - he's working on it) and will have no truck with organised religion even if he manages to persuade himself that a god or some sort exists. If that appeals to you or you rather like his detestation of atheists who are trying to eliminate religion from society, then you are welcome to see him as he sees himself - the only rational person on the board.

For me, that idea is stuffed by his refusal to accept evident facts if he doesn't want to hear it. He may still be an atheist but his subconscious is Theist, in closed -minded irrationality at least. And you are welcome to him. To me it's an embarrassment that he calls himself an atheist.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:49 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
You got the ''don't know'' part correct. Except the likelihood of God is like, REALLY low. The best evidence theists can come up with are holy books (like the Bible) and personal experiences. Neither are objective evidence.

Wait, recovery from what? Please elaborate.
Yes the likelihood is extremely low, maybe even close to zero which is why I do not believe.

The recovery is about a very good, no great poster who has terrible health issues. She is definitely not a believer. Stick around perhaps you will get to read one of her brilliant posts.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:57 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
That's how he presents himself, and the Theists swallow it whole. As an atheist (and he is) he does not believe in a god (yet - he's working on it) and will have no truck with organised religion even if he manages to persuade himself that a god or some sort exists. If that appeals to you or you rather like his detestation of atheists who are trying to eliminate religion from society, then you are welcome to see him as he sees himself - the only rational person on the board.

For me, that idea is stuffed by his refusal to accept evident facts if he doesn't want to hear it. He may still be an atheist but his subconscious is Theist, in closed -minded irrationality at least. And you are welcome to him. To me it's an embarrassment that he calls himself an atheist.
I respect Arach's perspective, and I've never gotten the impression that he sees himself the way you insist that he does. Perhaps you are projecting a bit?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM

63,827 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I respect Arach's perspective, and I've never gotten the impression that he sees himself the way you insist that he does. Perhaps you are projecting a bit?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No, you're not open to it. You could test it as discussed before, but you won't even begin to try. No guts, no glory.

You're just playing games with people here.
Are you open to Islam?

Old 05-29-2018, 06:46 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Are you open to Islam?
Well, I looked into it and investigated it, and meditated on whether or not that was a good course. The end result was no. What's your point, and why Islam?

Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well, I looked into it, investigated it, and meditated on whether or not that was a good course. The end result was no. What's your point, and why Islam?
Islam claims to have the same God, but different theology. Did you give it the same investigation and meditation as your current religion? Did you disprove its claims? Did you "really" give either diligent research?

The point is, with the lack of evidence either presents, why come to the conclusion either is viable? Anyone, and most do, submit to both of these religions, without viable sound reason. Clearly, because religions are generally geographical, what evidence should one be open to that provides reasonable viability to your religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality