Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 01:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure what you're alluding to with this statement, but no.

You could have a system that has A+, A, B+, B, etc.
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/cla...on-s-Third-Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know this is for Clara but...my comment...

They are always welcome.

Quote:
I give a lot...and that's super...some know it's me and some don't...if they know it's from me or not
I don't say anything about God or a Higher Power of any sort....BUT, damn, I wish they knew it was from a Higher Power, because 'me'...is selfish and doesn't want to give anything.
It IS only because of the interventions of God's Spirit that has made me nice, fearless, generous, confident, happy, and carefree...I and my friends of decades (like of over 40 years) know that it
was Grace that turned me into a very, super, wonderful, fun, light-hearted person.
I'm with you there. I don't have the knowing you do, but I do have a strong belief that God IS love, and available to each of us to experience by giving and receiving love to each other. I don't think it's necessary to believe that God/Love is our Source in order to experience it, but I do think it can only enhance the experience if one does.

Quote:
But, I can't always give the glory to God..wish I could....cuz that 'nice lady' that just did that for them ...was just some nice lady that disappeared. Damn.

Every experience of love is beneficial to all concerned, as I see it, whether one knows that it's from God or not. Even if it's a slow drip, the cup is being filled.

Quote:
I am not obliged by God, personally, nor do I feel he obliges ANYone to do anything ...but I'm not spreading Christianity either to those that already know about it when on every corner is
a steeple with an open door.
And a Bible in every Motel!
They know it is right there available.

The only thing that is worth being "spread", imo, is simply that the God who is love is present and can be experienced both through the giving and receiving of it. There's no strings attached. So, if you don't feel that you're getting love from "Sky-Daddy" as some like to refer to God, that's okay. You can still give it, to anyone you want, and receive the benefits in that way. No religious beliefs necessary.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I don't buy pizza, but you are welcome to tell me about it ONCE with a 20 second time limit. After that, if you go on and on about it, you are just being obnoxious.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:16 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't buy pizza, but you are welcome to tell me about it ONCE with a 20 second time limit. After that, if you go on and on about it, you are just being obnoxious.
Do you know many Christians in the real world who tell you more than once? I'm just curious. I realize there are probably, in the U.S., a LOT of Christians telling you the same thing, (which can get wearing), but do many of them tell you more than once?

Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Even if it's a slow drip...
That's all I read...the slow drip....

Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
CV, I don’t mind if you enjoy your pizza, and I don’t even mind if you tell me that you like it, suggesting that I try it.

In the real world, that isn’t how the Christian pizza is handled.

In the real world, you enjoy it, many people tell me about it, other people legislate and tell me I have to ear flat food with cheese and tomato sauce. It doesn’t have to be pizza, as long as it is flat, cheesy and saucy (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, it isn’t establishment of pizza because I have “options”). Then other laws are passed giving pizza shops rent free accommodations, and pizza shop owners get to advertise their daily specials at government meetings.

That isnt enough though. I tell people I like tacos, and I am distrusted for this. I find out that pizza shop owners molest children, and nobody takes this seriously because pizza shop owners are special and wouldn’t do that.

Ok. So I say that I am willing to try this pizza that everybody talks about. I am told that is great, and presented with a bill forthe pizza. Not a menu, no choices of toppings, I am not allowed to see the pizza, or smell it, and I cannot open the box until I die. I ask other people if I can sample their pizza, oratleast smell it, and I am told that it is amazing, they know it tastes amazing, but they haven’t opened their boxesor tasted their pizza either, because they cannot until they die.

Do you see why some people would prefer to foto the taco place across the street 5hat has real, verifiable, tasty tacos?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I'm a bit puzzled by all the posters who feel oppressed by Christianity.

Maybe it's because I live in an area that is very liberal, (and I'm a libertarian so I get that completely) and I really DON'T see Christianity forced down ANYONE'S throat.

I live in Central Texas, and the schools don't have Christmas Parties, or Christmas Holiday. We have Winter parties, where snowflakes and showmen are celebrated, although we almost never have snow and none of the kids will build a snowman in their childhood, because you might be able to make a snowball but no way a snowman.

So I have to ask. Where (in general) do you people live, that Christians oppress you and annoy you with their constant sales pitches? Because in my world, God help you (literally) if you would mention Christianity in school.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-02-2019 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 PM

50,851 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

Maybe it's because I live in an area that is very liberal, (and I'm a libertarian so I get that completely) and I really DON'T see Christianity forced down ANYONE'S throat.

I live in Central Texas, and the schools don't have Christmas Parties, or Christmas Holiday. We have Winter parties, where snowflakes and showmen are celebrated, although we almost never have snow and none of the kids will build a snowman in their childhood, because you might be able to make a snowball but no way a snowman.

So I have to ask. Where (in general) do you people live, that Christians oppress you and annoy you with their constant sales pitches? Because in my world, God help you (literally) if you would mention Christianity in school.
How can you read and participate in this sub-forum and not have read repeated posts about that very topic. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:

I've wondered about that as well. IRL, most people couldn't care less what anyone believes or doesn't believe. And some of the posters, especially the foreign posters, have said they've never encountered anything like what's being stated and are just going by what others are saying on the internet.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
Quote:

It's a never-ending battle, in Texas and elsewhere, to stop the gutting of biology in high schools in favor of creationism - or, intelligent design, which is merely creationism under the pretense of not really being religious (ie, Christian) in basis.

In Texas, as in numerous other states, gays can only get married because of a long battle fought to allow it over objections that all boiled down to "But, the Bible says that's wrong!", and were it not for the United States Supreme Court, Texas would start that oppression all over again (see also: Lawrence v. Texas and the repeal of statutes criminalizing sex between consenting adults of the same sex).

Texas is also the poster child for abstinence-only education, which - not surprisingly to anyone, really - makes it the poster child for teen birth rates and STD infections rates as well.

Frankly, I don't feel oppressed by Christianity. But I am well aware that the restraint on that oppression is due to a secularized society that prevents a small but energetic that would enthusiastically oppress if only given the chance, and that oppression aside, in myriad ways (see above) that minority nibbles around the edges to cause problems wherever they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality