Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 5,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I don't know if you realize you are sounding a bit disingenuous. You posted to ask people for advice, people are stepping up and trying to help you, and all you're doing is making excuses for every sensible plan being graciously presented to you. I know you're very young , and this is generally how youngsters respond to suggestions. So what's really going on?
You're going to have to sever ties with your parents. This is not going to be a tearful goodbye; it will probably be messy, with angry words given and received. You need to decide what you are willing to do to create an independent situation for yourself.
Why don't you check out Job Corps? You'll never have to go back to your parents house unless you want to.
I know how Mormons act. They victimize their children.
No I am grateful for all of the advice and suggestions and I have tried maybe not the hardest, but even when I tell my parents I'm going to move out they have told me that they'll take my car and phone away (which i am grateful that they have given to me to use but idk seeing from my parents would just buy cars for my siblings and let them take it/use it even when they moved out, they threaten me just because I "don't act or do" as exactly as they say which I think as an 18 year old I should be able to be my own person and be able to choose what I believe in without being forced to be what they want) so it would be nearly impossible for me to move out and buy a car around the same time because I go to school and I have a job, so if I have no car therefore I cannot go to school or my job to get closer to getting a good paying job and making money so I can pay rent and make car payments. I've just decided to tough it out for another 3-5 years because I'm going into nursing school so once I start making good money I can get the hell out.

Last edited by anondeadgirl; 10-29-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:55 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
At some point, you'll decide to "gnaw off" a limb no matter how fur lined the chains, and just "go."
Millions of young adults have gone off and started living on their own, 18,19,20... whatever.

Work as a waitress or other low paying job to get inspired to work even harder for a higher education or skilled job. Or find that guy and get your "MRS" degree.
Live your life, make your own mistakes, learn.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
At some point, you'll decide to "gnaw off" a limb no matter how fur lined the chains, and just "go."
Millions of young adults have gone off and started living on their own, 18,19,20... whatever.

Work as a waitress or other low paying job to get inspired to work even harder for a higher education or skilled job. Or find that guy and get your "MRS" degree.
See not all jobs are flexible with a full-time student, the job I have doesn't have the best hours but they are super flexible with my schedule and I do pick up shifts here and there when I can

Old 10-29-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Of course it's not normal, but I'm honestly not convinced we're hearing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. To me, she came across like a whiny teenager who is rebelling against her parents. I mean, do her parents seriously steal from her? Or is there more to the story than we're hearing? We've all known kids like this, haven't we?

Okay, so maybe she'll need to bite the bullet and save up for a while. It may not happen overnight, but it's the only real solution, IMO.

Excuse me? What planet would this be on? She did say, "LDS," not "FLDS." No 18-year-old kid knows only LDS people, not even in Provo, Utah.

Maybe it's that I just finished reading the book, "Educated," which was proof that a young person from a home far worse than the OP's can accomplish the unbelievable.
Yes you guys have the right to not believe me or to believe me that judgment is on you, but I'm not as rebellious as you could imagine I come home before midnight 95% of the time, I pay for my own food, gas, clothes, or basically anything I need/want. I help around the house. I'm not gonna prove myself to anyone I was just simply writing about my situation and that it has been physically and mentally exhausting to pretend to be someone for my parents that I am just simply am not. Some people will understand and others won't, and I'm not gonna bash on anyone's replies but if you aren't here to help then why comment on something you know nothing about.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:46 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

I agree. Millions have done it. You can, too.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is exactly what the bible meant when it said jesus said I will tear apart families.

when families have misguided people in them, you, as a rational person, don't have to follow them.

you are learning that most people are no different than anything else that runs on instinct. i call them sleepers. they are sleep walking and you are wake.

good luck, I mean that.
No, that is really not what Jesus meant, althougn it may happen to physical family members. Jesus doesn't want anyone to hate their fathers, he doesn't want a biological father to hate hus son, nor the brother against brother.

''From now on there shall be 5 in a house, father shall hate the son and son the father.''

This has nothing to do with a biological father, and a house is a person.

You are the son of Adam and Eve as a king, and then you decide to become a submissive virgin in a legal betrothal, and now Eve has become your mother in law, and mother in law will hate the daughter in law, and daughter in law will hate the mother in law.

When Jesus told his disciples that they spoke by their father Satan, it should be understood that we are all the sons of Satan and when we act or speak in anger, vengence and unkindness with no mercy, we prove who our father is.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
God can do it. Nothing is impossible to God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Except stopping thousands of African children dying every day.

...Oh, and defeating iron chariots apparently!

Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondeadgirl View Post
Yes you guys have the right to not believe me or to believe me that judgment is on you, but I'm not as rebellious as you could imagine I come home before midnight 95% of the time, I pay for my own food, gas, clothes, or basically anything I need/want. I help around the house. I'm not gonna prove myself to anyone I was just simply writing about my situation and that it has been physically and mentally exhausting to pretend to be someone for my parents that I am just simply am not. Some people will understand and others won't, and I'm not gonna bash on anyone's replies but if you aren't here to help then why comment on something you know nothing about.
Since Katz has had a bit of a go at you, a bit of support.We all think highly of Katz. but she is a devoted member of the LDS and can have (so I have found) a few blind spots where anything impacts unfavourably on the faith.

Others here will be familiar with your situation and extend our support.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since Katz has had a bit of a go at you, a bit of support.We all think highly of Katz. but she is a devoted member of the LDS and can have (so I have found) a few blind spots where anything impacts unfavourably on the faith.
Yes, I'm LDS, but I believe I'm actually very objective about the shortcomings of my religion. I have spoken out against my Church's treatment of the LGBT community and against its previous discrimination against people of African descent. Incidentally, I also have two grown kids, both of whom have left Mormonism. I wasn't thrilled about their choice, but having always taught them the importance of integrity and following one's conscience, I couldn't fault them for their decision. I just found the OP to be very emotionally immature. It wasn't so much that she wanted to leave Mormonism as how she expressed her frustrations, some of which I suspect her parents might have offered another perspective on. If you'll go back and read my comments, I started out by offering some suggestions that were much the same as other posters gave, i.e. that she be patient a while longer and try to get along with her parents as best she could and then to move out at the earliest opportunity. The only thing I didn't do was say, "Poor baby. Trapped by the Mormons."

Old 10-31-2019, 08:22 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
These situations are always difficult and,while some atheists will suggest getting out now, others will say that patience is best. In the teen years, getting out simply isn't feasible, but,where there are family problems caused by religion, politics or personalities, getting a life, if possible, is a good move. I might mention that I (as did both my sisters) made the move, and all of us were better for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality