Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2022, 08:25 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Good for you for surviving your grandmother Isn't it bizarre how Catholics are Christians yet Fundies don't see it that way at all? At least around here. You know where the term "bible belt" originated from? Yep, from right here. Anybody seen "The Righteous Gemstones" on HBO Max? There you go. They're not wrong, it's pretty damn accurate and funny as crap. Bad language though, not many will appreciate that. Sorry, don't watch it, I forgot who I was talking to

I would not joke about a thing like that, I am dead serious because that is exactly what my entire religious family thought. Funny though, guess who I married? Yep, Catholic AND Polish....need I say more? My Dad used to make Polish jokes while my husband was present, he really thought it was funny. My ex would just laugh along with my Dad's stupid jokes, he didn't really care. How completely and brazenly disrespectful.

Great, thank you. Yes, I've heard of the NAB but I never knew a single thing about Catholicism until I talked to people on CD and started my journey. My ex was a, how did Mordant put it(I think it was Mordant) something about non-practicing Catholics but it was clever how he phrased it. Help me out here Mordant.

Thanks Mink.
Perhaps a recovering Catholic? I have heard some describe themselves that way.

Just a point of interest for you. On the City-Data Christianity forum, some fundamentalists have tried to either insinuate or say outright that Catholics are not Christian. It is against the rules of our forum to tell another Christian that they (or their particular denomination are not really/not true Christians. If you see that, please report it.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:22 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
Good for you for surviving your grandmother Isn't it bizarre how Catholics are Christians yet Fundies don't see it that way at all? At least around here. You know where the term "bible belt" originated from? Yep, from right here. Anybody seen "The Righteous Gemstones" on HBO Max? There you go. They're not wrong, it's pretty damn accurate and funny as crap. Bad language though, not many will appreciate that. Sorry, don't watch it, I forgot who I was talking to
Ha! Explaining my grandmother and her 'Catholic Antics' would probably take a blog to do! OH! Plus, my grandmother was from the Bible Belt! Go figure.

I've also heard that some Christians (including some Catholics) don't consider JW's to be Christian.

Never saw "The Righteous Gemstones."

Quote:
I would not joke about a thing like that, I am dead serious because that is exactly what my entire religious family thought. Funny though, guess who I married? Yep, Catholic AND Polish....need I say more? My Dad used to make Polish jokes while my husband was present, he really thought it was funny. My ex would just laugh along with my Dad's stupid jokes, he didn't really care. How completely and brazenly disrespectful.
How sad for your husbband.
But now that you've brought this up, I'm curious as to WHY fundamentalists don't consider Catholics to be Christian... I'll have to do a little research on that. Google, here I come!

Quote:
Great, thank you. Yes, I've heard of the NAB but I never knew a single thing about Catholicism until I talked to people on CD and started my journey. My ex was a, how did Mordant put it(I think it was Mordant) something about non-practicing Catholics but it was clever how he phrased it. Help me out here Mordant.

Thanks Mink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've only heard the terms "Lapsed Catholic" and "Cafeteria Catholic", but I'm not sure if Mordant used them.

Mordant, what say you? Either of those terms ring a bell?

Quote:
Just a point of interest for you. On the City-Data Christianity forum, some fundamentalists have tried to either insinuate or say outright that Catholics are not Christian. It is against the rules of our forum to tell another Christian that they (or their particular denomination are not really/not true Christians. If you see that, please report it.
I must have been signed off on those days any fundamentalist said that. I'm sure if I saw it, it would have given me a good belly laugh.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 03:12 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I've also heard that some Christians (including some Catholics) don't consider JW's to be Christian.
Some evangelicals (and probably some other scattered protestants) identify Catholicism with "Babylon the Great" from the book of Revelation. This is a symbolic female figure representing all the false religions of the world, prostituting herself to them. To identify that with the RCC is way too specific IMO.

I hasten to add that this would not be ALL evangelicals. For example, I suspect that BaptistFundie here on this forum would reject this thinking, even though he disagrees with Catholicism. My sect would have said only that some Catholics are cultural Catholics rather than really understanding the evangel.

Anti-Catholic bias sometimes is found in the same people who are anti-semitic. It is just a way to otherize people who are different from you.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:27 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I can't remember what was said, it was something along the lines of non-practicing Catholic. Yes I have seen Fundies do that and I didn't consider JW's, they were definitely not considered Christians by my little family circle of fundies. Interesting, I didn't know that Fundies were ACTUALLY doing that on CD, sometimes I feel like people think I am lying about Christian Fundamental extremism, but it's proving itself out with some of these Fundie posters. It's a good example of what I'm talking about.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:43 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
I can't remember what was said, it was something along the lines of non-practicing Catholic. Yes I have seen Fundies do that and I didn't consider JW's, they were definitely not considered Christians by my little family circle of fundies. Interesting, I didn't know that Fundies were ACTUALLY doing that on CD, sometimes I feel like people think I am lying about Christian Fundamental extremism, but it's proving itself out with some of these Fundie posters. It's a good example of what I'm talking about.
We have had several members who were determined to make judgments about which denominations are real Christians and which are not. Since City-Data is open to anyone and Religion is not the primary focus of the web site, we have no reason to allow such insulting behavior. It could drive off believers who feel insulted. Those judgmental folks may have experienced infractions or may no longer be members.

BTW, I know you are not lying about Fundamentalists. I live in the Bible Belt, too, and I have seen it for myself.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We have had several members who were determined to make judgments about which denominations are real Christians and which are not. Since City-Data is open to anyone and Religion is not the primary focus of the web site, we have no reason to allow such insulting behavior. It could drive off believers who feel insulted. Those judgmental folks may have experienced infractions or may no longer be members.

BTW, I know you are not lying about Fundamentalists. I live in the Bible Belt, too, and I have seen it for myself.
I always thought that Christianity was supposed to be about Christ, go figure. And the Christ of the bible was an inclusive kind of guy. It is so bizarre to me how there are so many different sects of Christianity and they all seem to be claiming that other believers are wrong in their interpretations, therefore not Christians. It is rather insulting.

Thanks MG, didn't know you enjoyed the benefits of the Bible Belt also.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:38 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
I always thought that Christianity was supposed to be about Christ, go figure. And the Christ of the bible was an inclusive kind of guy. It is so bizarre to me how there are so many different sects of Christianity and they all seem to be claiming that other believers are wrong in their interpretations, therefore not Christians. It is rather insulting.

Thanks MG, didn't know you enjoyed the benefits of the Bible Belt also.
I've recently had a couple of posters, one fairly new and the other a long time poster imply that I might be going to hell.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I've recently had a couple of posters, one fairly new and the other a long time poster imply that I might be going to hell.
LOL well you can't believe in god and evolution too, you know. That's heresy. But yeah, know the feeling about being told I'm "doomed", as one poster put it.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:37 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
When proselytizers have told me that, I have usually responded with, "Well thank god I won't have spend eternity with people like you!"

Old 10-31-2022, 10:06 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
LOL well you can't believe in god and evolution too, you know. That's heresy. But yeah, know the feeling about being told I'm "doomed", as one poster put it.
I find it...interesting (?!)...that some of those who claim to believe in the bible "extremely", only seem to practice extreme judgment of others.

And not extreme love...
Or extreme forgiveness...
Or extreme mercy...
Or extreme kindness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality