Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Oh pardon me, I'll alert the world that you who have taken science courses have trumped the World Experts. Shall I let them know they are out of a job and that you will be taking over?

If you had taken secular science classes, I would not need to post that Wikipedia link for you on what "theory" means in science.

Why is it that the only scientists you agree with are Creation Scientists? Doesn't that seem a little biased to you? A body of Creationists who happen to all be Fundamentalist Christians?

I will post another link where you can find answers to your questions:

talkorigins.org

The onus is on you to disprove modern, accepted science. Your special club of bible literalists are in the minority.
I actually amazingly attend a secular school, I know it must come as a shock to you that such an hick fundamentalist doesn't go to Bob Jones or something. I mentioned my classes only to let you know I know exactly what a theory is.

Are your only arguments bland generalities about the nature of science and whatnot? I do find it funny that you have to stoop to being condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What happened to lifespans since then? I guess medicine and technology haven't helped much.

P.S. You still worship a God that drowned almost everyone on his planet. Not very nice.
Science has helped increase life-spans but most of the work was done by raising living conditions by means such as sewer systems and running water. A person without disease does not need medicine to live long, just clean conditions. That medicine is quite useful when disease strikes though.

He drowned almost everyone, but he did promise not to do that again. And the reason was that everyone turned from him. He give them ample warning and time to board the ark. I also worship the God that sacrificed his only son to save humanity. God is not just some mean old man with a magnifying glass waiting...

Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM

How about the fact that Mt St. Helens eruption proved that rapid deposition didn't need long periods of time? Catastrophic processes are able to fossilize animals. How about the rapid erosion shown nearby? All these point to the fact that it is possible many features on Earth are a result of a biblical flood.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM

418 posts, read 708,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I actually amazingly attend a secular school, I know it must come as a shock to you that such an hick fundamentalist doesn't go to Bob Jones or something. I mentioned my classes only to let you know I know exactly what a theory is.

Are your only arguments bland generalities about the nature of science and whatnot? I do find it funny that you have to stoop to being condescending.
Examine our posts...I have presented substance and facts, and a link to talkorigins.org where much smarter women and men than you and I can explain it to you.

You have provided guesses, archaic literalist bible interpretations, and an assumption that your hobbyist studies have trumped the leading scientific experts of the world.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 PM

353 posts, read 552,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You can back up everything you say huh? Well go ahead do it. But as I believe the biblical story is mythical, use other sources please. By the way I have no blind faith. Science presents evidence and faith has nothing to do with it. Blind faith is belief without evidence.
The questions I answered have obvious "scientific" answers. Thats my point. Why question aspects of the Bible that CAN be explained through science?
This for example
Quote:
Well if there was a watery core, where was the iron and rock that exist today. Iron and rock and continents do not float on water you know. Don't you think this make your argument rather far fetched?
Its not necessary for there to be a "watery core" for the earth to contain water. There's a thing called aquifers. We pump millions of gallons of water out of the earth every day from wells. Every river on the planet is feed from springs, Yellowstone has geysers.
Explain to me "scientifically" where this water comes from if it doesn't come from inside the earth.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Examine our posts...I have presented substance and facts, and a link to talkorigins.org where much smarter women and men than you and I can explain it to you.

You have provided guesses, archaic literalist bible interpretations, and an assumption that your hobbyist studies have trumped the leading scientific experts of the world.
And yet you have contributed no evidence personally, only able to post a link to the thoughts of others. The truth is that men and women much smarter than us have taken up both sides of the issue. In fact, smart people have taken up opposing viewpoints on every issue in history, that doesn't mean there are more than 1 right answer.

My "hobbyist" studies are better than the headline-reading approach you have obviously undertaken.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
The questions I answered have obvious "scientific" answers. Thats my point. Why question aspects of the Bible that CAN be explained through science?
This for example
Its not necessary for there to be a "watery core" for the earth to contain water. There's a thing called aquifers. We pump millions of gallons of water out of the earth every day from wells. Every river on the planet is feed from springs, Yellowstone has geysers.
Explain to me "scientifically" where this water comes from if it doesn't come from inside the earth.
Aquifers are a miniscule amount of water, compared to what it would take to create a flood of the magnitude of the biblical story. Every river and even the aquifers are fed by the rainfall cycle.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM

418 posts, read 708,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
And yet you have contributed no evidence personally, only able to post a link to the thoughts of others. The truth is that men and women much smarter than us have taken up both sides of the issue. In fact, smart people have taken up opposing viewpoints on every issue in history, that doesn't mean there are more than 1 right answer.

My "hobbyist" studies are better than the headline-reading approach you have obviously undertaken.
How would you like me to present these facts personally to you? You make claims contrary to science, and in favor of a unscientific bible.

Your Creation Scientists have convinced no one other than Fundamentalist Christians that their Witches Brew science is right. These "scientists" only seek to validate the bible which they believe is inerrant. That is clearly against the scientific method. Can you not see this?

talkorigins.com is a great website filled with firsthand information that is not yours or my field of expertise. If you would like to learn more, I suggest you visit. If you seek to dismiss popular science and are only feigning an interest in seeing the facts, then don't bother.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM

353 posts, read 552,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Aquifers are a miniscule amount of water, compared to what it would take to create a flood of the magnitude of the biblical story.
If all the icecaps were to melt the ocean levels would raise, depending on which scientist you go by, about 20 feet. If the aquifers were emptied it would go up several more feet. If the water was warmer it would raise even further.
The belief is that at that time the oceans weren't as deep and the mountains weren't as high. Only a very small amount of the earths surface was above water to begin with.
Under those circumstances there would be no problem flooding the entire earth.

Quote:
Every river and even the aquifers are fed by the rainfall cycle.
And the sky is blue.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
When you have a chance to put bible aside, for just a few moments, open your eyes and mind, think of everything else you've ever learned at school and in your entire life, then come back and read your writing again.

Do any of you ever question anything at all? Do you guys even try look at the other side of things? I'm not asking for any of you to reject everything you believe, i just wonder if any even consider the possibility that may be, just may be, there are contradictions? Have you ever gave it a chance to explore and actually give it a really deep thought?

Sometimes i read responses of a few of the fundamentalists and wonder if they ever left the house or went to school, or read anything beyond the bible.

I can see how some people believe in something, i can very much understand that, but it boggles my mind that so many believe in a bible as a "literal truth", no questions ask.

Even if you believe in every written scenario in a bible, is it possible that those event are just metaphors and not an actual events?

Only thing I need to remember - My God is an AWESOME GOD!! Now that should go in bold! My Faith is 100% in God my Saviour. No doubts, no worries - I know that he is the Way the Truth and the Life!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality