Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM

433 posts, read 587,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Edit: So your point is, as applies to this thread...? The OP's contention is that belief in God "should" die out like belief in Santa Claus dies out. You're refuting this, then, and agreeing that Santa belief and God belief are not the same thing?
That's not what I was saying -- it should, agree -- but, they are also very different in many ways, and God did not die off as easily as Santa did (even though they both are fairy tale figures).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Why Santa died off while religious God did not as a person growing up?

Because Santa is not a coercive religion; God is. There is no church of Santa, one does not need to worship, repent, rapture to Santa. Santa is not coercive. God is all of that.
No A child merely has to stay up all night on Christmas Eve, and there is the proof, no Santa. The urban legend of Santa was not clearly thought out, Santa must make an annual appearance or his existence is proven false. Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, and others, all suffer a similar fate when they can't show up as advertised.

Deities on the other hand don't have to make routine appearances. Kinda like Leprechauns, no schedule to follow, so who can really say and both will always have someone deluded enough to say they saw/heard them

In summation I leave you with this thought:
Quote:
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Old 05-06-2010, 02:59 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No A child merely has to stay up all night on Christmas Eve, and there is the proof, no Santa. The urban legend of Santa was not clearly thought out, Santa must make an annual appearance or his existence is proven false. Easter Bunny, tooth fairy, and others, all suffer a similar fate when they can't show up as advertised.

Deities on the other hand don't have to make routine appearances. Kinda like Leprechauns, no schedule to follow, so who can really say and both will always have someone deluded enough to say they saw/heard them

In summation I leave you with this thought:What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
Hitchens has more good sense in his pinky than most of the half educated bible thumpers can muster in total.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Why Santa died off while religious God did not as a person growing up?

Because Santa is not a coercive religion; God is. There is no church of Santa, one does not need to worship, repent, rapture to Santa. Santa is not coercive. God is all of that.
And other than the bible or other verbal meanderings of primitive mankind how can you prove that? The most modern initiation of a new religion happened about fifteen hundred years ago...unless you want to seriously entertain the fabrication of Joseph Smith about angels and tabloids of gold which nobody ever saw except Joseph himself. Mr. Smith was a convicted con man who was more or less run out of his home town.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud235 View Post
anything can be said about santa also can be said about god -- true.

However, santa is more of innocent, nice figure. God, on the other, is temperamental, tyrannical, full of "wrath".

I see no harm in santa.
lol!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
Santa Claus isn't jealous. He doesn't mind if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy too. Now that's a Trinity for you!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
And other than the bible or other verbal meanderings of primitive mankind how can you prove that? The most modern initiation of a new religion happened about fifteen hundred years ago...unless you want to seriously entertain the fabrication of Joseph Smith about angels and tabloids of gold which nobody ever saw except Joseph himself. Mr. Smith was a convicted con man who was more or less run out of his home town.

Yes, Mormonism is a religion and I think you are forgetting Scientology. Fifty years ago or fifty centuries ago - all of them are equally man-made fabrications.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Santa Claus isn't jealous. He doesn't mind if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy too. Now that's a Trinity for you!
In my experience, it doesn't seem that your mind is particularly open to allowing others to freely believe in the way they choose.

Equating the "Father-Son-Holy Spirit" to "Santa Claus-Easter Bunny-Tooth Fairy"...veeeeeery disrespectful...and I think you know that. So, to what end did you do that? I know the answer to that...I just wonder what you'll have to say.

General snark--Cool

High-end snark, a la Rafius--Very Cool and great entertainment

Snark that puts forth a completely unnecessary disrespect toward differing beliefs, a Deity, or sacred writings...like Trinity mocking--Not cool, insulting just for the sake of insult, and indicative of bias and gratuitous hatred.

At least you stay true to form...so, props for consistency. Though I can see my words fall on deaf ears...in fact, you take exception to my taking exception. You want a free pass for your disrespect. Lucky for you, you live where you live...in some countries you'd probably do that at your great peril. I bet you wouldn't be so bold there.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,118,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don’t think it is disrespectful to Santa to say the Easter bunny and Tooth fairy are part of the trinity.
I see it as pointing out the obvious.
Some can’t see the obvious.
Others see it as snark.
I like that word. SNARK.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
GldnRule: I actually meant no real disrespect, as I made the Trinity comment in fun and most would take it that way, but I'm not surprised that you took offense. A sense of humour should not be too much to ask, at least for anyone not hopelessly orthodox. Lighten up! Everyone knows you're very religious. You needn't be in any doubt of that. You have nothing to prove except the validity of your beliefs. OK, now that was a bit snarky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality