Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,219,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Everyone has been conned and wants a prophet like the OT nomads that wandered the countryside..

Prophets are found throughout our lives. Some are public-- others are simply delivering a message one-to-one..

LISTEN oh people...The message is there for those who have ears...
I would point out that we all have access to the very words of God if only we pick it up and read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Hebrews 1 states that in the past God spoke to us through prophets, but today speaks to us through Jesus.

In addition to that, there was some manifestation of prophetic gifts, and some signs among the early church, and there is a reason for that --

1 Cor 1:21-23 “It pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles.”

Going on in 1 Cor 14:22, Paul says “tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers.”

There was a reason God gave worked in the church that way for a time -- it was to validate the message of the Gospel. I don't see that happening anymore. If God wants me to lay my hands on a person and heal them, or make me speak Swahili..it's going to happen. But for the most part, I just don't see that happening. I've been in services where people claim to speak in tongues, or healing goes on..I just don't see it as an authentic occurrence.
So which is it? No more prophets, or there are still prophets???

The "bible" seems to clearly tell us THERE ARE STILL PROPHETS---

Romans 12:6

Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;

So the same Paulie who claims we no longer have prophets, says SOME HAVE THE GIFT OF PROPHECY...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I would point out that we all have access to the very words of God if only we pick it up and read it.
No, you have access to WORDS written by MEN...Access to GOD is via SPOKEN word---reading 2000 year old words that have ZERO relevancy to the 21st century is FUTILE..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So which is it? No more prophets, or there are still prophets???

The "bible" seems to clearly tell us THERE ARE STILL PROPHETS---

Romans 12:6

Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;

So the same Paulie who claims we no longer have prophets, says SOME HAVE THE GIFT OF PROPHECY...
The gifts of Romans 12 are not sign gifts....do you see that? They don't list things like tongues, healing, etc.

Prophecy is defined as speaking god's Words. A pastor "prophecies" when he stands up on Sunday morning and proclaims what the Bible says. Historically, even OT prophets were less about foretelling the future than they were about declaring what God had to say on a subject.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
The gifts of Romans 12 are not sign gifts....do you see that? They don't list things like tongues, healing, etc.

Prophecy is defined as speaking god's Words. A pastor "prophecies" when he stands up on Sunday morning and proclaims what the Bible says. Historically, even OT prophets were less about foretelling the future than they were about declaring what God had to say on a subject.
So that is why you entered the priesthood? To be seen as a prophet speaking the written words of men under the guise of being from god?

But modern preachers are NOT prophesying..they are regurgitating the words of MEN...the OT prophets had NO book to read from and were RECITING GOD'S WORD straight from GOD...

ONE Corinthians says there is PROPHECY...TODAY

Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So that is why you entered the priesthood? To be seen as a prophet speaking the written words of men under the guise of being from god?
I'm not a priest. I'm a pastor. There is a difference. A priest is someone who presents a sacrifice. I simply declare what Jesus has already done for us. I proclaim the words of God.
Quote:
But modern preachers are NOT prophesying..they are regurgitating the words of MEN...the OT prophets had NO book to read from and were RECITING GOD'S WORD straight from GOD...
Of course we are. To prophecy means to declare God's Word. I do that every time I preach the Gospel.
Quote:
Where? Why don't we look at the exact verse in context and we'll see what it says.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
Quote:
To prophecy means to declare God's Word. I do that every time I preach the Gospel.
One sense of "to prophesy" is to preach or to utter by claimed divine guidance or inspiration. Another is to predict via the same mechanism.

I doubt that most people outside the church understand the first definition that you're using.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One sense of "to prophesy" is to preach or to utter by claimed divine guidance or inspiration. Another is to predict via the same mechanism.

I doubt that most people outside the church understand the first definition that you're using.
It's all about what God has to say. In the OT, it was God giving a message to Israel. Many times it did include a foretelling of the future -- specifically that Israel would be judged for their wrong-doing. Or that Messiah would come to redeem them.

As Hebrews 1 states, in the past, that's how God communicated to man -- now it's through His Son. NOW, we can proclaim Jesus--he has come. Jesus told us in Matthew 28 to go out and proclaim that message to the world.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:29 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,761 times
Quote:

This, prety much. You've as a priest been essentially bought. A prophet is basically a priest that has learned to speak without being bought by the system. People in this forum, even the atheists, are more prophets than those sellouts.

Well, my dad being a priest, I cannot be overly critical. But Preaching on your own is a different can of worms than doing it because it is your job.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,135,051 times
There are still prophets - just not so much like the legend of Moses.
A prophet is someone who sees a vision of a better future and leads people to it.
Consider Martin Luther King - prophet to me - though not usually called that.
Quote:
No, you have access to WORDS written by MEN...Access to GOD is via SPOKEN word---reading 2000 year old words that have ZERO relevancy to the 21st century is FUTILE..
I agree that obviously the words in the bible and other religious doctrines were written (& rewritten, translated, warped etc) by imperfect people.
Yet I disagree that they are irrelevant. There are truths in them but as someone said, to get a diamond out of the dumpster, you'll have to get dirty.
Not only are there truths that can help you personally, the bible, especially is a major part of the collective unconscious - or whatever. It's the basis of how and why your great grandparents did what they did, why the founders of America did what they did. To ignore its influence would be ignorant. Then again, to pretend that it is purely the word of god when it was written by people - is having false gods which will inevitably fail (according to the bible itself - I know: circular reasoning. ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality