Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 02:20 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
The answer is fairly simple;
If you follow the bible, prophets played certain role in the unfolding events; they were there to prove the existence of god and his will. Once the desired "order of things" has been established and was running according to god's will, there was no need in prophets any longer, until the new turn of events will come, requiring their presence with the message of things to come.

P.S. Actually, it's incorrect to say that "there were no prophets" since "the bible and Christianity," because Islam with its Quaran and Mohammed ( as a prophet I suppose) came already later in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 02:23 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
One sense of "to prophesy" is to preach or to utter by claimed divine guidance or inspiration. Another is to predict via the same mechanism.
I doubt that most people outside the church understand the first definition that you're using.
Prediction is specifically forbidden as Divination. Prophecy is ONLY validated after-the-fact. We only know it was prophecy when it comes true.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
There are still prophets - just not so much like the legend of Moses.
A prophet is someone who sees a vision of a better future and leads people to it.
Consider Martin Luther King - prophet to me - though not usually called that.

I agree that obviously the words in the bible and other religious doctrines were written (& rewritten, translated, warped etc) by imperfect people.
Yet I disagree that they are irrelevant. There are truths in them but as someone said, to get a diamond out of the dumpster, you'll have to get dirty.
Not only are there truths that can help you personally, the bible, especially is a major part of the collective unconscious - or whatever. It's the basis of how and why your great grandparents did what they did, why the founders of America did what they did. To ignore its influence would be ignorant. Then again, to pretend that it is purely the word of god when it was written by people - is having false gods which will inevitably fail (according to the bible itself - I know: circular reasoning. ).

Your opening statement says so much TRUTH!!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not a priest. I'm a pastor. There is a difference. A priest is someone who presents a sacrifice. I simply declare what Jesus has already done for us. I proclaim the words of God.

Of course we are. To prophecy means to declare God's Word. I do that every time I preach the Gospel.

Where? Why don't we look at the exact verse in context and we'll see what it says.
Do you not "present"your congregations's sins as a sacrifice? Does your congregation not offer MONETARY sacrifices each week which you accept on behalf of he LORD?

Is baptism not a form of sacrifice?

Old 12-17-2016, 02:31 PM

243 posts, read 220,935 times
I am GOD . Those guys were not my prophets you fools !!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
I am GOD . Those guys were not my prophets you fools !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBLSGPN3hk

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 12-17-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 02:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Do you not "present"your congregations's sins as a sacrifice?
I have no idea what that means.
Quote:

Does your congregation not offer MONETARY sacrifices each week which you accept on behalf of he LORD?
They take a collection each week. I do not "accept it". The Treasurer is the one that counts it and deposits it. I honestly have no contact with the money, nor do I know what anyone gives. I do not believe, nor do I tell anyone that by giving money in the offering that God will love them more. Your question just seems so strange.
Quote:
Is baptism not a form of sacrifice?
How so? I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it would be a "sacrifice".

Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Prediction is specifically forbidden as Divination. Prophecy is ONLY validated after-the-fact. We only know it was prophecy when it comes true.
Many things now touted as "fulfilled prophecy" are clearly saying that such-and-such WILL happen in the future. That is a prediction. That doesn't mean the fulfillment being pointed to in fact fulfills anything or validates the prediction necessarily, but my point is that you can't claim that 100% of fulfilled prophecy is connected with a scripture that isn't making a clear prediction, and now, we just happen to be seeing it as one retrospectively. Even if that were true, it would be a problem for many people's eschatology, as it would tend to weaken any claims of fulfilled prophecy by styling the "fulfillments" as post hoc fallacies.

You are correct that divination is forbidden but it's never been clear to me how foretelling an event as a prophet of god is different from divination. Perhaps because it doesn't involve chicken entrails or something, I don't know.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:20 AM

481 posts, read 263,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Could it because all the prophecies have been made, enough to last for more than a 1000 years into the future?

The Prophecy of Jesus's death has been concluded. The coming 'Great Tribulation' is yet to come but the end times were foretold by Jesus to the Apostles when they asked him how will people know when the end is near. Armageddon has a lot said about it in the Bible and these are prophecy from the Apostle John as give to him in visions, not dreams, and the 1000 year reign of Jesus in the Paradise earth and then the final release of Satan who has been bound for the 1000 years to tempt the righteous and the unrighteous that were resurrected after Armageddon to the Paradise earth..There is nowhere else for them to go, they wont be in hell and they wont be in heaven, as hell is simply the grave of mankind, and Heaven is reserved for the Holy Ones who will serve as kings in the new world, the 144,000. It is all said, and now we wait until it is done.

God is forever revealing himself in his works towards the establishment of the new world. The Witnessing is being carried on in all parts of the world to all tongues and peoples as was required by Jehovah's Witnesses. This is a fact, not something that might happen later.

The challenge of supremacy that Satan laid down has had more than enough time for Satan to "prove" his power over Jehovah, but he has failed, and his time is near. Then you will see God's anger in reality as the followers of Satan are wiped from the earth, and Satan is bound and cast into the abyss for a time.

God has not created anything since Adam and Eve but at the end of the wicked system of things new creations will fulfill the promises of healing the infirm and the sick in the new world.

It isn't guess work, it is all there in the Bible. I am not preaching, just relating fact.

If you wish to read what the Bible says about Jehovah's Day have a look here What Jehovah

Old 12-18-2016, 02:27 AM

481 posts, read 263,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not a priest. I'm a pastor. There is a difference. A priest is someone who presents a sacrifice. I simply declare what Jesus has already done for us. I proclaim the words of God.

Of course we are. To prophecy means to declare God's Word. I do that every time I preach the Gospel.

Where? Why don't we look at the exact verse in context and we'll see what it says.
So as a pastor, and not a priest you do not preach the acceptance of tradition of religion, only God's Word.?

Could you, if you wish to, tell me what you tell your parishioners not to do, from God's Word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality