Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I always hear about this "the fig tree represents Israel in the Bible." Is that so? Where in the Bible does the fig tree represent Israel? Isn't that simply a Christian interpretation forced into the Bible?
You heard correct about the fig tree representing Israel, Matthew 24:32
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You heard correct about the fig tree representing Israel, Matthew 24:32
Based on what biblical verse?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Based on what biblical verse?
If you study the Bible (and believe it as truth) you know.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
If you study the Bible (and believe it as truth) you know.
Don't be elusive my dear. I'm serious. Based on WHAT biblical verse or verses?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Don't be elusive my dear. I'm serious. Based on WHAT biblical verse or verses?
I'm not, you really have to study ALL of the Bible to understand

Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Peter was pointing out that (IN THE LAST DAYS SCOFFERS WOULD COME). He was telling the people of that time (what would) occur.
So scoffers are only limited to the 20th and 21st century - right I got that, strange that he would address this matter for us folk 2000+ years hence?

Quote:
So do you think the League of nations allow the Jews to return to Israel to fulfill Bible prophecy? And do you think Hitler was killing the Jews to incourage them to return to Israel to fulfill Bible prophecy? LOL
Hitler played a role and if you do your research properly, you will find that not only was he half Jewish, the Zionists were actively involved with the weeding out of "undesirable Jews" in league with the Nazis.

The Jews had no legal claim to Palestine until the LON issued a decree as no-one including the USA wanted the filthy Jews (Apologies to Jewish readers, this is not my POV)
Quote:
And Second Peter chapter 3 is not a convenient passage, it is a true passage. And that is why in the Old Testament when it tells us God's people would be raised up on the third day, only an understanding of Second Peter would allow us to understand what is spoken of in the Old Testament.
Nope, you want the diaspora to end and yet there is no way in hell a Jew living pretty in Florida is going to exchange that for the "homeland"
Quote:
ONLY MOSES AND ELIJAH? Maybe you better go back and read the Text again. Matthew 17 verses 1 and 2. And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high montain by themselves. (AND HE TRANSFIGURED BEFORE THEM, AND HIS FACE SHONE LIKE THE SUN, AND HIS CLOTHES BECAME WHITE AS LIGHT.)
Boy what happened there? Did you (FORGET) to read verses 1 and 2?
He speaks of a return in glory with all his angels - that did not happen at the mount transfiguration.
Quote:
And then jump to verse 3. How convenient. LOL
Not even referring to the text, doing it from memory. I know the ETM crap verbatim as I taught it.
Quote:
If the Bible was a fairy tale, why did Christians who lived hundreds of years ago write books telling us that before Christ would return we would see the Jewish people return to their ancient homeland first. And how did they know that their return would anger many nations around the world. I can tell you how they knew, they based their belief on the Bible, and the Bible is always being proven correct. And it matters little how much you deny it, the truth is before you.
Well if you close your eyes tightly shut and pretend, then I guess you can make the bible say whatever you want it to say.

As for their beliefs, you pretend to think that early illiterate xians had the ability to question their pastors. So what they believed is irrelevant in today's world.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not, you really have to study ALL of the Bible to understand
I've done so a few times and used to simply take it for granted that the Bible DID refer to Israel as a fig tree. Looking back, I realize there was no such thing at least that *I* can recall. What I now know is that Christians forced this interpretation into the passage to MAKE it fit into their theology.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
As for the fig tree bit which is just a made up connotation, what connotation was there when Jesus cursed the fig tree? Was he in fact cursing Israel or the Jews?

Thought not.

Can you not see that your apologetics are just p***ing into the wind. Most of us know the scriptures and if you throw one verse as proof within a context, we can take a parallel from your same holy book and refute you using that same circular logic.

Saying I believe may help but please do not tell us it is FACT. Beliefs are personal and cannot be refuted but using the bible, well it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
This is totally wrong, first off Revelations is one of the most difficult things you will ever read. Its deeply rooted with symbolism and their is no need to discount it being that most if not all biblical prophecies have come true so thus far, and their is historical proof to prove it. Revelations was said not to become tangible until more information was revealed to us. The reason it doesn't give specifics is because John was only human, he could not fathom things that will happen in the 21st Century. Also, you have to read the books of Isaiah, Ezekial, and Zechariah to understand Revelations.
I've read it and the rest of the bible.
We have different beliefs systems. Yours is through the bible and mine is through channeled messages. We (our church) have several messages from John stating that this book is an allegory, a vision. He also states he didn't write the whole book. There are actually three authors to Revelations.

We have several messages from Jesus stating that this book is not necessary to get one into heaven. In fact, the bible is only partially true. Just because someone from the past labeled something as truth, does not make it so. The bible is stories of the authors. When Jesus was alive, He ended the age of stories and created His own. Sure He talked about the OT, Torah, whatever you want to call it but He did not make it His truth. He taught the lessons and told people to make their own stories as He made His own.

If you want to live in fear and believe a book over your own sacredness, argue with others so you feel justified in believing it, then by all means do so. But don't belittle others because they believe something else. I'm only inputting what I believe to be true. I don't ask others to follow.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I've read it and the rest of the bible.
We have different beliefs systems. Yours is through the bible and mine is through channeled messages. We (our church) have several messages from John stating that this book is an allegory, a vision. He also states he didn't write the whole book. There are actually three authors to Revelations.

We have several messages from Jesus stating that this book is not necessary to get one into heaven. In fact, the bible is only partially true. Just because someone from the past labeled something as truth, does not make it so. The bible is stories of the authors. When Jesus was alive, He ended the age of stories and created His own. Sure He talked about the OT, Torah, whatever you want to call it but He did not make it His truth. He taught the lessons and told people to make their own stories as He made His own.

If you want to live in fear and believe a book over your own sacredness, argue with others so you feel justified in believing it, then by all means do so. But don't belittle others because they believe something else. I'm only inputting what I believe to be true. I don't ask others to follow.

Is there any reason to believe your message over that of say.....the mormon church, or jehovah's witnesses? Both of those organizations claim special revelation from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality