Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

Tymberwulf wrote:
Quote:
One, if this is just an attempt to slam the Bible and Christianity, then shame on you.
I think if you had read enough of my posts over the last two and a half years you'd realize that's not my intention. Afterall, I have alot of Christian friends and Christians on this forum who I respect and like. My question is completely sincere and I believe it's a valid question to ask. Christians themselves are constantly bickering about the meaning of some obscure passage because of the way that it's written.
I do agree with your points about problems in translation but shouldn't God, if he exists, have realized that this would be a problem in the future and been able to do something about it? In fact if God is all knowing why couldn't he have had people in the time that the Bible was written actually write copies in future languages? Even though the man writing it wouldn't understand it that wouldn't prevent him for doing what God was directing him to do. I don't think that would be nearly as difficult as other supernatural acts that have been attributed to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
One, if this is just an attempt to slam the Bible and Christianity, then shame on you.
What if it was? Nonchristians get slammed all the time in this country.

I have nothing else really to contribute to this thread, however, I couldn't help but notice the statement in your status.

"Husbands, love your wife. Wives, respect your husband."

Sounds like a parent-child relationship.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
The bible contradicts itself several times, thats why there are so many views.

There are some who think that Christ created a new covenant with God, and that all of the old Mosaic laws were cancelled out by Jesus. However, there are some who believe that all of the old testament laws are still in place.

Constantine tried to stop all of the different "Christian" groups, and have one religion. It never worked.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?

Probably the same reason people from different political persuasions interpret the american constitution differently.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Oakback wrote:
Quote:
Probably the same reason people from different political persuasions interpret the american constitution differently.
I think you make a good point as you always seem to do. However, the Bible uses such a wide variety of writing techniques (probably because there were so many authors) and it always raises the question as to whether or not this is a literal statement that's being made or is it a metaphor of some kind. Much of the Bible almost seems poetic while other parts appear to be a description of historical events that have taken place. I have read the entire Bible and I can honestly say that I find it to be extremely confusing and lacking in a coherent train of thought. I don't think it's just me because as I said earlier Christians themselves can't seem to agree on what it means either.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Some of that may not be due to confusion, but the intention to do something which may benefit only an interest group.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I have no problem with Christians using parts of the bible to advance kindness, and good deeds, but I get riled when they ignore certain passages, and focus on what other people are doing with their private parts, or advocating some violence, like the ol' hellfire.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?
Instead of just a general charge, be specific about what it is that you, personally, think "Christians" don't "agree" about?
And one who is born into the family of God by second birth of spirit is a baby when born. They are instructed to grow in grace and understanding of Jesus Christ, and to study to show themselves approved unto God, workmen who need not to be ashamed.
Just because one is born into the family of God does not make them mature in understanding. If they contradict themselves and the Word of God, then they have an issue, but the Word does not have an issue -and the Word explains the Word.

And FYI: the Book of 1 Enoch is the Word of God and no one can understand the foundational truths by casting it away. It explains what the Book of Revelation is about, and it explains what the foundational doctrines of the Gospel of Christ; Sheol beneath earth; the Lake of Fire; the Regeneration of the heavens and the earth; the week of thousands allotted to this creation before the regeneration of the heavens and the earth; the origin of demons; the fall of the angles; and every major doctrine which is not explained in the OT and NT is laid as foundation in 1 Enoch, so it behoves all to be literate in 1 Enoch to really understand the doctrines listed above.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,026 times
If the bible truly was the writing of God, it WOULD be clear.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Why he has a right to his beliefs just as you. He has freedom of speech as well, as do you.
I understand that, and even wore a uniform for several years to protect that right. But just because you are allowed to do something, does not mean I am suppose to just sit back and not call him out on it. So again I say, shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality