Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
A) Shame on you for attempting to act as the Thought Police.

B) No one needs additional reasons to slam the Bible or Christianity.
A)I'm not the thought police, I am an American telling someone that their actions are shameful.

B)Just because you are unhappy with life and feel the need to lash out, does not give you the right to belittle my beliefs and the most important book in my life.

Good day, God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I understand that, and even wore a uniform for several years to protect that right. But just because you are allowed to do something, does not mean I am suppose to just sit back and not call him out on it. So again I say, shame on you.
No shame in it, some just don't believe in the bible ( with good reason), it is their right. Whats to call out? He has a point of view, just as many believers like to call atheists evil and ignorant, he has a right to question.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
A)I'm not the thought police, I am an American telling someone that their actions are shameful.

B)Just because you are unhappy with life and feel the need to lash out, does not give you the right to belittle my beliefs and the most important book in my life.

Good day, God Bless
What on earth makes you think they are unhappy in life? Assume much?

And they have EVERY right to their beliefs and to question ours as you do ours ( which HAPPENS A LOT) kind of like you telling them they are shameful.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Tymberwulf wrote:

I think if you had read enough of my posts over the last two and a half years you'd realize that's not my intention. Afterall, I have alot of Christian friends and Christians on this forum who I respect and like. My question is completely sincere and I believe it's a valid question to ask. Christians themselves are constantly bickering about the meaning of some obscure passage because of the way that it's written.
I do agree with your points about problems in translation but shouldn't God, if he exists, have realized that this would be a problem in the future and been able to do something about it? In fact if God is all knowing why couldn't he have had people in the time that the Bible was written actually write copies in future languages? Even though the man writing it wouldn't understand it that wouldn't prevent him for doing what God was directing him to do. I don't think that would be nearly as difficult as other supernatural acts that have been attributed to God.
Excellent, someone who actually has a question and not the need to slam something they don't agree with or understand.

God is all knowing and he could indeed make it that not only would the bible be written in a way that left no room for misinterpretation but could go to the point where the bible wasn't even necessary and we all just had the information in our heads on the day we were conceived.

God doesn't do this for one reason, it would interfere with his greatest gift to mankind, the ability to choice. He allows us to choice to believe or not, He allows us the choice on what the words in the bible mean and the choice on how we are going to use those words.

This is why true belief is so amazing, we were not forced into it, but embraced openly, and by choice.

I hope this helps a little bit, I profess I am no pastor nor do I have any formal training, but I do have a great passion for the subject.

Have a great day and God Bless

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
The Bible has so many different interpretations because there are so many different people. No person is ever going to be exactly like you. In the end, the best we can hope for is to mutually coexist without hurting each other.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
What if it was? Nonchristians get slammed all the time in this country.

I have nothing else really to contribute to this thread, however, I couldn't help but notice the statement in your status.

"Husbands, love your wife. Wives, respect your husband."

Sounds like a parent-child relationship.
So you live to insult? Shame on you. And do you think of parent/child relationships often? Maybe you need to seek help.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
yeshuasavedme wrote:
Quote:
Instead of just a general charge, be specific about what it is that you, personally, think "Christians" don't "agree" about?
The two books of the Bible which seem to be the most contentious are the first one and the last one, Genesis and Revelation. The primary points of disagreement among Christians regarding Genesis is whether or not it is meant to be taken literally or whether it is speaking metaphorically. Evangelicals take the literal interpretation while Catholics tend to be a little more pragmatic and have accepted evolution as a tool used by God to create life. It also varies from one individual to the next when you get into various passages which seem rather vague and as a result it means different things to different people.
The understanding and interpretation of Revelation is practically a business of it's own in the racks of bookstores. Various authors proclaim their own interpretations and often try to tie it in with events that are happening today in society. The end times, which is of course the dramatic ending of the Bible, has been the source for countless groups of Christians over the centuries who believed that they happened to be living in the end times. There have been a great many predictions about the exact date the Jesus would return but since he never showed up this is always being postponed for a new future date.
These are just a few of the conflicts between Christians regarding what the Bible actually is saying.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Similar diversity has happened within Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam as well. It seems God really doesn't want to make a definitive statement to ANYONE.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
We have different interpretations of the bible mainly because people in general cannot all agree on anything..

People tend to interpret the bible to suit their particular need, along with what they learned from their parents and ministers as children..and what they are lead to believe from charismatic televangelists..

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,986 times
There is only two things we really need to agree on: God is loving and we should be as well, in everything we say, do, feel, and think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality