Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?
I think that it was intended to be like a math book... you know, you study it you get what you need you take from it what you need... but you don't take your math book to the grocery store to find out how much you'll spend. Many people think that every word applies to everyone in every time and it just isn't so. If I wrote a letter to a friend about how to avoid 9/11, it would be ludicrous for people now to follow what I said... Does that make sense? It would only apply up till 9/10... But churches all over try to follow it in different ways.
I would say that the point of the book is to live life to the fullest, and take care of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default WHY do people disagree on any Subject?

MAYBE they have not seen the same evidence or , if they have , maybe they drew different conclusions...........Why do people do that? That is a Question for a Doctor.
Quote:
If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default Now There , two of us AGREE

Love each other and take care of each other! Why don't we agree on how to do that?....that requires a village, a government and involved citizens. And they need pure motives. But we can agree , not all do have pure motives. Not all agree how to handle that. So we air out our opinion. And in the U.S.A. we all can spread what ever story we choose . But words are important. Thoughts and beliefs are too. So we can consider this thought.........if we spend our time listening to a person with impure or ill conceived motives , what shall we think? I Say........IMPURE AND ILL CONCEIVED THOUGHTS..........WHATEVER IS GOOD, think upon these things.......how plain can it get?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
'Cos you know sometimes words have two meanings...

or more.

"Nemo me impune lacessit" actually can be translated in a number of ways, that are very similar to each other, but still different in degree.

If I say something is humungous, and the next person says it is large, aren't we both "right"?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
'Cos you know sometimes words have two meanings...

or more.
I think that's the very point the OP is making.

"If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean."

If Biblegod wanted his message understood and followed then the message should be clear and unambiguous. It isn't!

Quote:
If I say something is humungous, and the next person says it is large, aren't we both "right"?
The problems come when I say 'I will call before 5pm' and you interpret it to mean 'I will call after 7pm'.... because that's still before 5pm the on the following day. Christianity is pretty adapt at doing that.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,368 times
Because the bible is like our constitution, there are many interpretations of it. Each church becomes the SCOUTS in giving the ultimate interpretation. Couple this with the fact that the bible is bipolar. Old testament is anal retentive god that strikes down whole cities with hemorrhoids, and then the new testament where Jesus is a forging "god" that on occasion curses fig trees because it does not have a fig for him to eat. Then you have a god that just wants to see if his people love him and will be willing to carve out the heart of their children to sacrifice for him. Great religion for crazy people.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Well, aside from that danged comma in The Second Amendment, vitrovian, our Constitution's pretty straightforward by comparison to the bible. It also prevents the adoption of a state religion, which is routinely trampled on (or attempted at least) by religious organizations attacks on school curricula all over this land. And, as well, we don't have numerous translations of The Constitution, by guys like King James who sorta had an ulterior motive in modifying his bible.

No matter how it's read, the bible still supports whatever ambiguous belief system many Christians crave, since being ambiguous, it can be pretty much woven around any past, present or future event, with a suitably ambiguous conclusion or prophecy. Imagine what trouble it would be in if, for instance, it absolutely claimed that 1 + 1 always = 3. if we then categorically disproved it, where would they be?

So it's better to say: A white goat or other animal, maybe even a plant, shall appear before you in a fog, or perhaps on a clear-like day, and will make a statement with his/her head parts, that God is coming, in a chariot driven by noble gasses". So... would that be a Hydrogen-fueled Prius, destined to be here in 2020? Or a lighter than air balloon?

Your choice, obviously.

so. how do we interpret this one?

So, it's quite useful to them.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
And think about this. Counting all the denominations, conventions, sects, cults, sub cults etc. etc. There are more than 40,000 different ways to accept the writings called the bible. That might not be a record but it has to be above average.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think that's the very point the OP is making.

"If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean."

If Biblegod wanted his message understood and followed then the message should be clear and unambiguous. It isn't!

The problems come when I say 'I will call before 5pm' and you interpret it to mean 'I will call after 7pm'.... because that's still before 5pm the on the following day. Christianity is pretty adapt at doing that.

Well, it's pretty funny how these different translations of the Bible say the same thing...just in different ways.

I've seen comparisons done of certain verses, and they all seem to say the same thing with different words.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, it's pretty funny how these different translations of the Bible say the same thing...just in different ways.

I've seen comparisons done of certain verses, and they all seem to say the same thing with different words.
I agree but they come along with these earth shaking differences like whether to baptize or sprinkle...or whether either makes a difference. Whether or not to have musical instruments or sound systems in their churches. To accept their pastor's word that he was called to another church because he will be making $5,000 more per year at his new post. How many wives are allowed...regardless of how they look. Is faith dead without works to accompany it? Does it require a devinely appointed intermediary on earth to speak for god? I could go on but why continue to bore folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality