Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Did anyone else hear a buzzing sound?
You must have taken your tinfoil hat off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlisa View Post
that is entirely your opinion in order to understand the original King James version...
That's actually quite amusing, your use of the words "original" and "King James Version" in the same sentence. By the time that version came out, there had been more translations (and mis-translations) than you have fingers to count them on. The KJV is not "original" in any sense of the word. Nor, for that matter, is there any evidence that King James himself had anything to do with it. Kings of England tended to be monarchs by right of succession, not Biblical scholars.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?
The Bible makes it's clear, that much of it would be incomprehensible to the average and natural man. Christians groups can break up for any number of reasons. Yet the bottom line for Christians is, that without Jesus, there is no Salvation. God did not do a poor job when He authored the Bible, and much of our understanding of the Bible can only come from Him. Jesus said that if you will seek Him you will surly find Him. He tells us to study His Word. He also tells us, the Holy Spirit will reveal to us it's truth. It is no God who makes mistakes, it is people who think the Bible is just a badly written Book. Of course those who think this, are those who do not know God.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's actually quite amusing, your use of the words "original" and "King James Version" in the same sentence. By the time that version came out, there had been more translations (and mis-translations) than you have fingers to count them on. The KJV is not "original" in any sense of the word. Nor, for that matter, is there any evidence that King James himself had anything to do with it. Kings of England tended to be monarchs by right of succession, not Biblical scholars.
Not to mention that the "original" KJV had the Apocrypha in it, but was later taken out. The Apocrypha was in the KJV until 1886. It was that year that the Archbishop of Canterbury had it removed leaving only 66 books. I find it very amusing when I've heard fundies blast Catholic versions of the bible because it contains the Apocrypha. The earliest know KJV known is a 1611 version. That would mean that for 274 years, the KJV had this major "flaw" in it that Protestants didn't realize was a problem until they were told it was one. I say flaws in the KJV go well beyond 274 years and the inclusion/non-inclusion of the Apocrypha.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-27-2009 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 02:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Do you mean that some teach baptismal regeneration?
But what does the Bible say? That is the point.
The Bible says a wet, unrepentant, unconverted sinner is still not going to heaven.
Water Baptism in the Bible is for converted Believers in Christ, who obey Jesus' command to repent and be baptized. Jesus did not say anywhere that one could be baptized and go to heaven -see?
Now if you say I am 'interpreting' by stating the above, I would ask you to just go look up what Jesus said. -See how simple it is?
For those of you that believe Baptism is not necessary please read the following scriptures:

Mark 16:16, John 3:3-8, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, Romans 6:3-9, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Galations 3:27, Ephesians 5:25-26, Colosions 2:8-14, Titus 3:4-7, 1st Peter 3:18-21

Also, knowing that you "must be baptized" according to Mark, did Jesus lie to the man on his right? He wasn't baptized, and Jesus said he would walk beside him in the kingdom of heaven.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Here is another inconsistency

*Which* Ten Commandments?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It is no God who makes mistakes, it is people who think the Bible is just a badly written Book. Of course those who think this, are those who do not know God.
The Bible is a cheap ripoff of several different religious texts from earlier cultures. If there are any gods you can know by reading the Bible it would be Marduk, Enlil, Baal, Osiris, Aten, or Ra

Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
The Bible is a cheap ripoff of several different religious texts from earlier cultures. If there are any gods you can know by reading the Bible it would be Marduk, Enlil, Baal, Osiris, Aten, or Ra
Really. Can you prove that? Or do you just make statements without evidence? Christians my not always agree about the Scriptures, but true Christians do believe it is the Word of God.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no more spanish inquisition. if we still had it, trust me there would be no deviation.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Really. Can you prove that? Or do you just make statements without evidence? Christians my not always agree about the Scriptures, but true Christians do believe it is the Word of God.
There is some speculation that the story of Christ has been intermingled with that of Horace, an Egyptian pharaoh. His story is similar, virgin birth, disciples, belief in one God, that kind of thing. Personally, I don't know, there are similarities, but I just don't know.

I do know that the bible does take Jewish religion, and pieces it together to make their point that Jesus was Gods son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality