Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would/could you kill and die for your religion?
I would both die and kill for it. 0 0%
I would die for it. 7 16.67%
I would kill for it. 0 0%
No, I would/could not. 35 83.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

I would never, never do harm to my fellow human beings for the sake of man or the religion he indulges in..Religion is mans built on his own ego not God...

Neither would I kill or die for my beliefs which are from God..I don't condone murder and I would not willingly give my life for my belief..What would that profit me or my loved ones? I figure when the Lord wants me to exit this life the decision will be His, not mine..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
.What would that profit me or my loved ones? .
"profit"???

Better think about that....
Do you really want to be connected to that type of thinking ?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
"profit"???

Better think about that....
Do you really want to be connected to that type of thinking ?
Profit, meaning lesson, benefit, etc. I do not support condoning murder or suicide in the name of Christ..I would gladly and in a heartbeat lay down my life for my children or grandchildren's life...out of love, not because of some religious duty. God does not put burdens such as that on us..

Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
God does not put burdens such as that on us..
Can you name one thing that Jesus did not ask his men to give up to follow him?

friends?
Family?
money?
position?
Family business?

When you look at the Text you see men who gave up everything to follow Christ.

Do you really think there is one thing that you own or have in your life that God would not ask you to give up?

Think about that....

Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
yea, I've encountered that problem before too, once in class it was asked would you rather be high class or low class, I said high class, then later realized he meant monetarily where as I meant character wise language barriers will get you all the time

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Anybody who responds "Yes" or "No" here is just grandstanding. Nobody knows how they'll respond until they actually face this situation.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM

428 posts, read 800,100 times
I would rather die than renounce my faith in Christ, but I would never kill...nor do I believe that God would want me to.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Can you name one thing that Jesus did not ask his men to give up to follow him?

friends?
Family?
money?
position?
Family business?

When you look at the Text you see men who gave up everything to follow Christ.

Do you really think there is one thing that you own or have in your life that God would not ask you to give up?

Think about that....
I thought
Money, position, family business, etc all those things that so many people put above their relationship with God are things that don't last..They are materialistic..I was born poor, raised poor and have been poor many times in my adult life..

It means nothing compared to my faith in Him that he will not give me any tests (what ifs?) or ask me ( kill for Me?)to do anything against what He has taught me through the gospels and the Holy Spirit who was given to us for further guidance when Christ was no longer on this earth.

Also those men were under the old covenant, not the grace and mercy of God..Nor had the Holy Spirit been sent to them yet....
Alan I am following Jesus and His teachings, and try hard to let some of the light of His love show through what I say and do..

There is nothing I would do that would harm my friends or family..nothing...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-28-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Okay so now that we have established that pretty much no one would want to harm another human being for their faith. How do you feel about persicuting or forcing someone to do what you see as right? Do you think that you could tell someone how to live their life? Realize that you dont know this person or how their life is going. All you know is they fallow a certain lifestyle that your faith does not support.

Could you or would you condemn someone for their lifestyle choices even if they arent hurting anyone?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Default I had to vote the last choice.

But, the fact is my answer is "No, I would not kill", not "No, I could not kill". To defend more important things, like my freedom or the life of my family, I "could" kill someone. I know I have it in me if I was pushed to that point. I would never willingly set out to kill another, but I could if that person was a major threat to my life or the life of my family or my family's freedom..

But, I "would not" kill someone based on the words of any leader, religious or otherwise. Words are not enough to bring me to action. I would not accept any teaching that specified that part of my job was to murder other human beings in the name of my God. Any truly spiritual person knows there is no God that would order you to slaughter innocents. Any truly spiritual person knows that since there is always the chance for redemption, no God would order you to take the life of another. For Christians, murder is considered a terrible sin. I believe this holds true for most major religions. And any who kills in the name of God has obviously either been led astray by an instructor or they have severely misinterpreted the teachings when personally reading them.

There is no justification for murder based on religious belief. It spits in the face of the core message of all religion. Sure, a nut can read text and find justification for their murderous actions. But many often forget to take the whole into account when drawing from a small portion. If you read a small bit of text which seems to tell you to spill the blood of infidels, you may want to consider what concrete laws of your religion you would be breaking by performing this act. If you would be in direct conflict with one of the core themes of your religion by performing this act of violence, odds are you have misinterpreted the small bit of text you are drawing from.

Hope this came out understandable, I had a lot running through my mind so I don't know if I worded this post as well as I'd like. But anyway, the core of my message is it is never OK to hurt or kill based on the words of some religious leader or religious text. If you are going to take action like this, don't do it because some chump told you to. Use your own mind, and make all your own decisions. And never let a person have enough influence over you to convince you to commit an act you know is wrong. It is never OK to take a life, but it is acceptable if you are defending your own. And in the end, that decision will be entirely up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality