Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would/could you kill and die for your religion?
I would both die and kill for it. 0 0%
I would die for it. 7 16.67%
I would kill for it. 0 0%
No, I would/could not. 35 83.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Okay so now that we have established that pretty much no one would want to harm another human being for their faith. How do you feel about persicuting or forcing someone to do what you see as right? Do you think that you could tell someone how to live their life? Realize that you dont know this person or how their life is going. All you know is they fallow a certain lifestyle that your faith does not support.

Could you or would you condemn someone for their lifestyle choices even if they arent hurting anyone?
I think there's a real difference between persecution/coercion and just saying stuff. Mostly I'm not even sure I'd "tell people how to live", but I think that is different. If someone told me I was a parasite, and they have, I was miffed but that wasn't persecution.

I would never coerce or force anyone to do anything based on my religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Profit, meaning lesson, benefit, etc. I do not support condoning murder or suicide in the name of Christ..I would gladly and in a heartbeat lay down my life for my children or grandchildren's life...out of love, not because of some religious duty. God does not put burdens such as that on us..
He places many burdens on us, to be a Christian is to enter into a position filled with strife.

Quote:
"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 10:34-39 NASB)
While some try to interpret this to mean we are to war with others, it is more of a point that God must be first and foremost in our lives. That he must never come second and that to follow him is to enter the same ridicule and judgment to which Christ suffered on earth which creates conflicts with many, including family and friends. Through our beliefs and servitude, it will brew hatred among those who hate God and will also hate you because you serve him. Christians have a very heavy burden if we truly follow his path. Though God rewards the faithful and those who carry such burdens will be blessed by him.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Okay so now that we have established that pretty much no one would want to harm another human being for their faith. How do you feel about persicuting or forcing someone to do what you see as right? Do you think that you could tell someone how to live their life? Realize that you dont know this person or how their life is going. All you know is they fallow a certain lifestyle that your faith does not support.

Could you or would you condemn someone for their lifestyle choices even if they arent hurting anyone?
Anything that someone is coerced to do by others is completely worthless as regards their soul development and ultimate fate. Our fate is determined by what WE WANT to do, CHOOSE to do, and ACTUALLY do . . . NOT whether or not we follow rules that we have been condemned for by others or otherwise coerced to follow (by threats or persecution, or . . . whatever)

Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times
Quote:
If another Holy Crusade started or a prophet said that God said to, would you/could you kill people who refused to believe in your religion?

Would you die for you religion?

Please dont just say Yes, think about this and answer truthfully.

If you where told by your religious leaders to kill thousands or millions of innocent people, could you do it? Could you kill a woman? could you kill a teenager? could you kill a child? could you kill your own family or friends if it was commanded of you by a prophet or by God?
No, because of my Full Pretereist views. 99.9% of religious leaders are in conflict with my views.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,229 times
There are times when Christ asks you to walk away from family and friends...to leave your wife and children inorder to serve Him.

There are times when you will place your family in great danger for the sake of Christ,

There are times when all your money that was to be used to put your kids in school will be used in a way to spread the Words and you kids suffer for it...

anything you try to protect from God's reach will be asked of you to give up.
Nothing can be hidden....nothing can be saved...

Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
There are times when Christ asks you to walk away from family and friends...to leave your wife and children inorder to serve Him.

There are times when you will place your family in great danger for the sake of Christ,

There are times when all your money that was to be used to put your kids in school will be used in a way to spread the Words and you kids suffer for it...

yeah, okay...well when your god asks for the lives of all non believers(innocent people) do me a favor and off yourself first...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:

There could not be more convincing evidence than this that God has nothing to do with what you know or believe. NO ONE who has God within could possibly believe this is representative of God's love for us. This is entirely man's intellectual BS . . . not God.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
actually....I want you to think about this for a moment.
I want you to dig out the bible, (Doesn't matter to me what version)
and look at LUKE 18 verses 22 - 29
and then edit you post to reflect the Words of Christ...
You just don't get it . . . God requires NOTHING of us. EVERYTHING that has been "commanded" is for our edification and learning so that we can avoid the negative consequences of spiritual ignorance. As children of God (not Pets) we are expected to spiritually mature and become self-directed . . . not constantly looking to our master for reward or punishment for our "tricks." God is within us and there to guide and comfort us spiritually . . . but this is OUR world . . . we have been given dominion over it. WE must solve our problems, try to prevent or prepare for disasters, recover from them,etc. . . . AND love God and each other through everything, period. God is doing NONE of it TO us.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,949 times
I believe that dying for Christ Jesus would be the ultimate sacrifice. All throughout history and even today the debate over taking a life or the laying down of a life in the name of ones belief has divided mankind. Yea, the old testament followed the "eye for an eye" rule. However, Jesus Christ came to this earth fully God and fully man, not to condemn the world but through Him the world might be saved. Jesus totally rearranged the human existance. What other faith has for its core, a man, born in a manger, living a lowly life, doing no harm, but dying a common criminals death. If we would stop harping on what "Christians" have screwed up in the past and look at what Christ Jesus taught and acted out in a sinless life, we would come to the realization that he is the way, the truth, and the life and no man will ever see the Father but by faith in Him. He gave his life that I might live. YES, without a doubt I would die for him. To live is Christ, to die is gain.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:10 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No, because of my Full Pretereist views. 99.9% of religious leaders are in conflict with my views.

I looked at some sites about preterism it was interesting. I have learned something today.... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality