Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
There is another character cast in this play, the 12th Imam aka, the hidden Imam.

American Thinker: Ahmadinejad Awaits the Hidden Imam

Cambell, you're very knowledgeable and I have enjoyed reading this thread. However, imho, the temple rebuild will be spiritual, not physical brick and mortar.

I try to think of this world still in existence in the year 3060 and I can't. We don't have what it takes to live that long.

Also, did Sir Newton take into account in his equations a variable named Ahmadinejad and Nukes!
I just wanted to second the notion that Campbell is very knowledgeable.
he is a whole lot more knowledgeable about his subject matter than 98% of the rest that hold his world view.
A watered down and loose version of his type of world view is taught alot in the southern U.S.A.. Again, for some of us it's a watered down and very loose version. I really wanted to ask a Pastor or two, if we were suppose to be minding Isreal? Was Isreal something we need to include into our prayers since it seems our whole belief system goes back to Isreal? Which I felt was dumb question in itself because that's where Jesus is suppose to be coming back to make an appearance. Anyway I have come to a resolve that most of the people who preach this world view do not know what they are talking about and would better benefit to study thier own cultures.

I wish that I could ask without offending ....how does one come to believe that Isreal becoming a nation was a devine act? There was nothing wrong with them becoming a nation but it doesn't quite seem devine...it seems to me it was put in place and accomplished through agreements-"No God needed"- biology guy. Again I mean no offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,445 times
Sir Issac Newton forgot to take into account the world ending in 2012.

It'll be too late for Jesus by 2060, I'm afraid.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Ooohhh eeewwww! Phun Stuff continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Sir Isaac Newton, who is considered by many to be one of the worlds greatest scientist, also had a great intrest in Bible prophecy. This may come as a shock to some. Yet recent 300 year old manuscripts that were written by Newton, have been revealed to the public.

...here we have one of the greatest scientist who ever lived saying the very samething that we Christians have been saying in recent years. Only his report, comes to us from 300 years ago.

Sir Isaac Newton was correct, when he said the Jewish People would be returning to Israel near the time of the end.

rifleman's comments: Well of course, there's absolutely no sign of that yet. it;'s only speculation, and a whole lot more Jews choose to move to and live in, for instance, NYC, Newark, NJ. or LA. Etc.

He was correct when he said the Jewish people would be in control of Jerusalem during the sametime. And time will show him to be correct again, when the Jewish people rebuild their third temple.

And the reason Sir Isaac Newton could make such accurate predictions 300 years ago, is because Sir Isaac Newton believed in the God of the Bible.
Most prominent people back then professed a Christian belief, and tried to bend reality around those beliefs. To claim non-belief in God back then was to court social stigma, as Darwin also faced. He was able to make such predictions solely because he was a believer? What?

BTW, if Newton was such an accomplished scientist you choose to Selectively Believe in, what do you have to say about Hawking and his recent anti-God (no god needed) proclamation? Hawking's also taken math, Newtonian and quantum physics considerably further than Newton. He probably has an IQ even higher than Einstein's estimated 213.

So I'd have to assume, as you like to do
, that all the world's scientists agree with Hawking, right Tom? Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I saw a program about this on the history channel the other day. My first thought was that he was making a lot of assumptions, and they didn't do a very good job explaining why he made those assumptions in the first place.

Newton was brilliant, and his contributions to science are great; however, that does not mean that every single thing he worked on is dead on. His methods (as presented in the documentary) were very unscientific, and that is probably why he didn't want this work to be made public.
Oh My! You're not supposed to say that sort of thing on one of Tom's new-age threads, Eresh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think Newtons whole views would change dramatically if he were alive today and saw just how far advanced science has come.

You betcha. He broke new ground, but later-day scientific research has certainly "sussed out" a lot of intricate details, including that Newton's physics have very real limitations. i.e.: it turns out not everything he thought up was right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Why would Newtons Biblical view change, when it is obvious that Newton was correct about the return of the Jews to Israel, and Jerusalem? And their desire to rebuild their temple. A true scientist will acknowledge facts, and Newton was a true scientist.
...and a true faith-based believer will deny obvious facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
God has already written His Word, and anyone who wishes can read and see what He has said. What He said that He will do, He will do.
And this means? as regards Newton's comments? Are you trying to honestly and intellectually participate in the details of this discussion, YSM, or are you just proselytizing again? I suspect the later....

BTW though, most of what God was so far supposed to be responsible for achieving has never happened, and He also chooses to never show himself to anyone in public, your own personal dark-closet experiences notwithstanding, I'd like to see some real-time evidence.

Meantime, I have lots of real-time reproducible evidence that supports a rather different world-view, no blindered fear-mongering required. You guys will just keep moving that Apocolyptic goalpost further and further away. It was absolutely supposed to be 2000, but then, according to your very own words, YSM, 2012. So now we have Tom/C34 claiming Newton absolutely said 2060+, and you concur? So.... which is it? What exactly did your God write?

Hedging your bets by chance?

BTW, now watch for Tom saying, in a day or so, or even later today, that "scientists now agree that the world will end in 2060!" You know: an Appeal to [Unidentified] Authority and all. You'll see.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I just wanted to second the notion that Campbell is very knowledgeable.
he is a whole lot more knowledgeable about his subject matter than 98% of the rest that hold his world view.
A watered down and loose version of his type of world view is taught alot in the southern U.S.A.. Again, for some of us it's a watered down and very loose version. I really wanted to ask a Pastor or two, if we were suppose to be minding Isreal? Was Isreal something we need to include into our prayers since it seems our whole belief system goes back to Isreal? Which I felt was dumb question in itself because that's where Jesus is suppose to be coming back to make an appearance. Anyway I have come to a resolve that most of the people who preach this world view do not know what they are talking about and would better benefit to study thier own cultures.

I wish that I could ask without offending ....how does one come to believe that Isreal becoming a nation was a devine act? There was nothing wrong with them becoming a nation but it doesn't quite seem devine...it seems to me it was put in place and accomplished through agreements-"No God needed"- biology guy. Again I mean no offense.
I'll answer this one the way Jesus answered it. He was talking with is disciples and he said something like this,
if I tell you of worldly things (physical things) and you understand not. How is it you will understand when I tell you of spiritual things? For me that is the best question in the world.

That is how for me, when people talk of a temple that is to be rebuilt, they see a brick and mortar building where as I see, something that is built spiritually.

You ended your post with biology guy so I'm wondering are you aware of Science/AAAS | The Neandertal Genome which is quite an interesting find. If you are interested in my fact finding mission and the science journals I have read and their conclusions, pm me and I will share.

The Bible was written in a time that society was the way it was. Those folks wished to tell us something about, the way it was and what to expect in the future as no change had happened for them, they predicted the out come of the human race, based on that no change in humanity.

Newton, all though I have yet to find, I believe talked about the magnetic pull of the earth towards the sun and he gave calculations. The Bible predicts the earth will end in fire. If, for every rotation the earth is moving towards the sun, well there you have it. Those people were indeed very smart and we are very stupid not to pay attention.

The only thing that I know of that God asks of us, is to love one another and we fail, miserably at doing that.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:12 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Sir Isaac Newton Predicts the general time of the second coming of Jesus Christ

Yeah, but he was using biblical references so all of his results were skewed. That's what happens when ya start from a faulty premise.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Yeah, but he was using biblical references so all of his results were skewed. That's what happens when ya start from a faulty premise.
So when does time for mankind begin in the assessment of history? And, to what reference can be used to determine, when societies began to form and to that the probabilities of futuristic time for us?

Take for instance if a person wrote a diary about the day in the life today 2010 and that diary was discovered in the year 3010...oh forget it, their will probably be people around to say the diary written was lies and any references to it skewed.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times

First of all Campbell, Newton was very religious:
Quote:
"Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done."
"This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being. … This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont to be called ‘Lord God’ [pantokrator], or ‘Universal Ruler’. … The Supreme God is a Being eternal, infinite, absolutely perfect."
"Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors."
However, Newton was NOTHING like the typical theist:
Quote:
In spite of his deep religious conviction, Newton was unorthodox when it comes to his belief of the devil, spirits and ghosts. He also assailed people who claimed to be tempted by personal demons as deluded by their own imaginations. This might seem like a reasonable position for a man of science, but in that era, the reverse was actually true: most learned men believed in the existence of Satan, and considered Newton’s view as blasphemous.
Ten Strange Facts About Newton

A theist that doesn't believe in spirits, demons, and ghost; and THIS is the man you chose for your argument?
As for the second coming of Christ; there's little evidence that there was an original visit from Christ (much less a second).

Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
I'll answer this one the way Jesus answered it. He was talking with is disciples and he said something like this,
if I tell you of worldly things (physical things) and you understand not. How is it you will understand when I tell you of spiritual things? For me that is the best question in the world.

That is how for me, when people talk of a temple that is to be rebuilt, they see a brick and mortar building where as I see, something that is built spiritually.

You ended your post with biology guy so I'm wondering are you aware of Science/AAAS | The Neandertal Genome which is quite an interesting find. If you are interested in my fact finding mission and the science journals I have read and their conclusions, pm me and I will share.

The Bible was written in a time that society was the way it was. Those folks wished to tell us something about, the way it was and what to expect in the future as no change had happened for them, they predicted the out come of the human race, based on that no change in humanity.

Newton, all though I have yet to find, I believe talked about the magnetic pull of the earth towards the sun and he gave calculations. The Bible predicts the earth will end in fire. If, for every rotation the earth is moving towards the sun, well there you have it. Those people were indeed very smart and we are very stupid not to pay attention.

The only thing that I know of that God asks of us, is to love one another and we fail, miserably at doing that.
no! no! i'am no biology guy. i was referencing rifleman's famous saying "No God needed" i just didn't know if he had copyrighted the phrase yet, so i was attempting to be vague.
yes i am aware of the neanderthal gene and i have even brought up this matter with YSM. she was very nice about it and offers a religious perspective.
well i'll tell you it's just gonna have to be one of those lost allele type deals....apparently, just like some of us can lose our alleles some of us can lose our neaderthal genes. anyway what's one to do? i guess you can start with those of us whom have none of the neanderthal gene and progressively discriminate on through those who have various amounts.
i don't know but i'am not going to fret too much more over it. my future generations are arriving and it is so very important to me what is being and what will be taught to them. so we'll see how this info. is going to be applicable to their lives so that the they can be educated appropriately.
i personally am sick of it all; it smells of Hitler.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
I will raise your second with this link:
Textual Criticism of the Greek New Testament happy hunting for errors.
Did you read the link you provided? It does a great job of proving the Textus Receptus (on which the KJV is based) is full of errors.

In any event, Newton's use of the New Testament for prophecy was mostly confined to Revelation.

The real issue is the K-weer Jimi Vision's faulty rendering of Daniel, especially Daniel 9 which led him to erroneous conclusions.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Ladies and Gentlemen....we got 'im!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality