Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well rifleman, I would love to adress the prophecy of Tyre, yet I believe that would be off topic. Maybe you could start another post? Right now I believe you need to debunk the prophecy stated by Newton.
You misunderstand, Tom. I was referring to your absolute confidence (but pure conjecture) that Newton's supposed prophecy about Christ's return in 2060 or 2069 is dead-on accurate. How can something that has not yet happened be considered valid or accurate? Answer: it can't.

Plus, (reminder time) where are all those other (remember: plural?) prophecies you claim Newton made? A full list please.

As for one of the 4 points Tim Callahan makes...

3. If it was written before the fact, was its fulfillment something that could be predicted based on a logical interpretation of the events of the prophet’s day?

This one directly applies to the return of the Jews in 1948, a decision by the UN and the Brits to stave off further bloodshed towards Jews in the world. Didn't work out to well, now did it? Their government's greed and arrogance regarding Palestine is obvious, and will likely be their undoing in the future.

BTW, did you download Tim's book, or will you just argue it based on AiG rebuttals? Or, (my bet) will you ignore Tim's valid and logical points?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
OP: You may be also surprised that many leading scientists also are aware of holy books beyond the bible but this does not give those books any more credibility. The fathers of atomic bombs of US and India (Oppenheimer and Kalam) both quoted from the Gita (hindu holy book). Here is a famous one from Oppenheimer - quoting Gita - right after the first bomb was tested (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer):

"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one." and "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

If Newton said something related to science, it gets peer-reviewed, and hence has credibility. For his religious prouncements, he is on his own as it is personal. Same applies for other scientists. I do not come to Campbell34 for scientific advice and I do not go to Newton for his prophecies. Same reasoning why I do not buy burgers from Garmin and GPS from Burger King.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Default It's like Britney Spears telling us how to behave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
OP: You may be also surprised that many leading scientists also are aware of holy books beyond the bible but this does not give those books any more credibility. The fathers of atomic bombs of US and India (Oppenheimer and Kalam) both quoted from the Gita (hindu holy book).

I do not come to Campbell34 for scientific advice and I do not go to Newton for his prophecies. Same reasoning why I do not buy burgers from Garmin and GPS from Burger King.
True, but I have read that Newton was an ardent theologist, though of a slightly different flair. He was into the occult (the inexplicable and somewhat irrational), and overlaid a level of Christianity on it. He was possibly known amongst his friends and perhaps "at the water cooler", they may have asked Sir Isaac his thoughts on some current or future topic.

After all, true scientific composure and reserve had not yet fully taken hold. Many folks were, by societal default, practicing Christians.

Remember; he is known for his efforts at bringing about The Scientific Revolution, which means, obviously, that he lived originally in The Dark Ages that organized religion sought to maintain. Heck, they still do!

As his thoughts apply to modern-day events? They don't unless a person chooses to let them.

Newton's later achievements notwithstanding, his professional standing does nothing to lend any additional credibility to his prophecy. His new-fangled Scientific Method had no influence or advantage on reading in to biblical prophecy. How could it? Nothing there is testable.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Campbell34 wrote:

As I've stated before I've never been persuaded that there are any facts that support the supernatural and I don't think that anything Newton may have predicted about the future of the Jews is all that astounding. Most of the world's Jews don't even live in Israel. America has more Jews than any other nation including Israel. Whenever a so called prophesy is examined it always turns out that it's worded so vaguely and so many important details are left out such as specific dates, names, etc. that I don't find them to be very impressive.
Well some are now saying that the balance of the Jewish population is now in favor of Israel, and not the United States. Also it has been stated, that if current trends continue, that by the year 2030, the vast majority of Jews in the world will be located in Israel. And I find that very amazing, because according to the Scriptures. God's third day begins in the year 2034. And don't forget, the prophecies of the Bible are on going. With each passing year, their reality will only become even more evident. And your belief that Biblical prophecies are vague, is pretty much nonsense. The prophecy found in Ezekiel did not have to use a date. For it speaks of an event that only occured once in world history. And that prophecy names Israel, and Jerusalem as the place where these future Jewish people will return to. So unless you can show us where these names appear some where else on the globe, I don't see how you can suggest the prophecy left out any important names.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
True, but I have read that Newton was an ardent theologist, though of a slightly different flair. He was into the occult (the inexplicable and somewhat irrational), and overlaid a level of Christianity on it. He was possibly known amongst his friends and perhaps "at the water cooler", they may have asked Sir Isaac his thoughts on some current or future topic.

After all, true scientific composure and reserve had not yet fully taken hold. Many folks were, by societal default, practicing Christians.

Remember; he is known for his efforts at bringing about The Scientific Revolution, which means, obviously, that he lived originally in The Dark Ages that organized religion sought to maintain. Heck, they still do!

As his thoughts apply to modern-day events? They don't unless a person chooses to let them.

Newton's later achievements notwithstanding, his professional standing does nothing to lend any additional credibility to his prophecy. His new-fangled Scientific Method had no influence or advantage on reading in to biblical prophecy. How could it? Nothing there is testable.
Yes, but you are missing the main point. Newtons prophecy is occuring around the time he predicted. And since his words were spoken 300 years ago, and we are now alive in the time he said this would all occur. His prediction is testable. And it appears to me, your just trying to ignore the obvious results of his test.LOL

Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Default A r e y o u t h e r e t o m ??

1) You were going to list the several (Plural. your reference, not mine. Remember Tom?) of Newton's supposed prophecies. I'd love to see them, with their dates and conditions detailed.

2) Did you download and read Tim's book discussing all the various biblical prophecies? I'd love your opinions on his well-thought-out and carefully presented ideas.

I can't make it any simpler than that.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
You misunderstand, Tom. I was referring to your absolute confidence (but pure conjecture) that Newton's supposed prophecy about Christ's return in 2060 or 2069 is dead-on accurate. How can something that has not yet happened be considered valid or accurate? Answer: it can't.

(reminder time) where are all those other (remember: plural?) prophecies you claim Newton made? A full list please.

As for one of the 4 points Tim Callahan makes...

3. If it was written before the fact, was its fulfillment something that could be predicted based on a logical interpretation of the events of the prophet’s day?

This one directly applies to the return of the Jews in 1948, a decision by the UN and the Brits to stave off further bloodshed towards Jews in the world. Didn't work out to well, now did it? Their government's greed and arrogance regarding Palestine is obvious, and will likely be their undoing in the future.

BTW, did you download Tim's book, or will you just argue it based on AiG rebuttals? Or, (my bet) will you ignore Tim's valid and logical points?

Just curious.
Common sense would tell you that before such events could occure, the stage for such event would first have to exist. Israel became a nation in the year 1948, and this stage is still under construction. And many more Jewish people still have to return to Israel before the play begins. But I can assure you, the opening act will be one this world will never forget.LOL

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Why would Newtons Biblical view change, when it is obvious that Newton was correct about the return of the Jews to Israel, and Jerusalem? And their desire to rebuild their temple. A true scientist will acknowledge facts, and Newton was a true scientist.
Correct about the Jews? Since when? They are not all returning, sorry bud. I know tons here that have no desire to go there!!

ANd he would realize how wrong the Bible is, science has pretty much ruled it out ( to those that are willing to see it).

Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,259 times
I believe when the sign of God is showing, and he comes forth out of the heavens in his City...and the whole world will see it happen...and there will be signs before it comes...in the world, in the heavens, and in the sun...Then all the Real Jewsish People (and the Christians who believe in Jesus and God) will come to the place foretold of its resting place.
And they will all Come to whorship, and pay tribute to the Lord..on his holy mountains...And they will all know the Lord..is the Lord thy God!

Then he will put his will in everyones mind to do!
And there will be no debates, no denial, no opposition..for they will be done away with...

Yep a very special time is coming...and it could already be happening...in a symbolic way right now!

For Does God not also say..."he will cut these days short"...coming before the time alotted?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Why would Newtons Biblical view change, when it is obvious that Newton was correct about the return of the Jews to Israel, and Jerusalem? And their desire to rebuild their temple. A true scientist will acknowledge facts, and Newton was a true scientist.
Except people made this come true. If the bible said Jews would go to china and live there, they wouldn't be in the middle east now would they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality