Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,529 times

Advertisements

I never said I liked him or agreed with him. All I said was I think he is a smart person, just not the way he shows or says it. I sure don't send any money to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM

33,560 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
I never said I liked him or agreed with him. All I said was I think he is a smart person, just not the way he shows or says it. I sure don't send any money to him.
I doubt that a smart person would say such stupid things in public even he believed them...Personally I think he is about as smart as bucket of rocks.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
No, I think he is a smart man, but doesn't show it when he says things the way he does, or what he says to start with. People get this image of Haiti, and lesser extent, Carribean in general, from media and stereotypes, etc. For example, Haiti is "90 percent Catholic and 100 percent Voodoo". Also, nearby Jamaica is center of Rastafarianism, where the idea for dreadlocks and all comes from, and of course, "Pirates of the Carribean" was based in this region, people having ideas of Jack Sparrow and Blackbeard and Captain Kidd (and Jimmy Buffett) still sailing these waters, and of course, Haiti lies immediately south of the Bermuda Triangle. I know what I wrote sounds a little silly, but you kinda get the idea. Frankly, without getting into the religion and theology part, I can't say I blame the Haitians of old, expelling their slave masters and all...
I beg to differ after watching this man say some VERY stupid things over his VERY long career. Then again, perhaps he is smart (in some respects), but clearly crazy and delusional which is no small part due to his wild theological interpretations.

Yes, as a black man from the Caribbean, you know I share your sentiments on your last few words.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I doubt that a smart person would say such stupid things in public even he believed them...Personally I think he is about as smart as bucket of rocks.
In reality, all he has to do is be smarter than the people who send him money.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,838,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
In a roundabout way, what you are really saying is "I agree with Pat Robertson's statement." I actually understand why you guys do because I once held such a back and white world view of demons and angels, sin and righteousness and all those other cute things in order to make sense of a world I did not understand or wanted to understand through plain old, observable, sometimes simple explanations. It sounded so much better to say that some deity was controlling everything and that those who did not grovel at his feet telling him how worthy he was, such people would be meet with judgement. Of course lost in ALL of this is that a huge portion of the Haitian population are actually Christians. Of course they are NOT true Christians in some other Christian's book.

Robin, I implore you, just try to gain a little perspective please.

Thanks.
No I have not said that but I will say this, He has a right to his opinion.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
I don't lend any creedence with the likes of Pat Robertson.

All the praying of God loving Catholics in Italy did not prevent Mt. Vesuvius from erupting and wreaking havoc on them. They continue to have earthquakes and they continue to pray.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
No I have not said that but I will say this, He has a right to his opinion.
Well forgive me, sir.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:20 PM

688 posts, read 1,490,529 times
Well, at any rate, I say kudos to John Calipari and the Kentucky Wildcats and Ashley Judd for the "Hoops for Haiti" money raising. Over 1 million dollars were raised by (including matching funds) by people calling in pledges a few days ago to go to Haitian relief effort. And who says sports in generals and jocks in particular and movie stars are callus and don't care? Point? - I see people here that are in the limelight that are doing something positive, not of either extreme of thinking their distaster is because of a "pact with the devil" or the other extreme of thinking that anybody that has any religious or spiritual conviction whatsoever is an idiot or "fringe" or looney.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I don't lend any creedence with the likes of Pat Robertson.

All the praying of God loving Catholics in Italy did not prevent Mt. Vesuvius from erupting and wreaking havoc on them. They continue to have earthquakes and they continue to pray.
This is petty but Mount Vesuvius erupted on August 24, A.D.79. This was prior to the catholics in Rome (around 300 AD) so I don’t think the catholics were doing a great deal of praying.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Oops! Can I get that photo edited out, please? Better sense just kicked in because of the minor "words."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality