Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 PM

45 posts, read 141,907 times

Advertisements

I guess I would be considered agnostic. I was raised in a non-denominational Christian family but I do not wish to be a part of the religion because it does not resonate with my personal beliefs. I am very confused about the concept of God and whether I believe in it but for the past 4 years i have been learning about Judaism and heavily considering converting. I am very fascinated by and greatly appreciate the cultural and spiritual aspects of the religion. What i also find interesting is the Jewish view of the Christian religion and what they believe are the important factors that differentiate the two. I'd like to know how you as a Christian (or whatever religion you may be) view Judaism, if you have any knowledge of the religion or not, and what you believe makes a person Jewish in terms of belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Good night, JessD. I do not have any opinions to give you, but I am sure that there are many out there who have. This is a much better post.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM

59 posts, read 128,770 times
Well Judaism is the foundation to Christianity because Judaism only uses the old testament and the old testament promis us a savior which is JESUS CHRIST.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Christians understand that the jews are Gods chosen people, some of the most staunch supporters of Israel are christians. Jesus was Jewish and he is the lord and savior of Christian's!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
I'm a Christian and could not convert to Judaism, BUT I have a lot of respect for them. They've been tormented throughout history and now they're back in their homeland. That's a very important part of what HAD to happen before the End of Times.

As was said before, they follow the teachings of only the Old Testament. That's one of the reasons they don't eat pork (the thing about animals with split hoofs being unclean).

We also have the New Testament so we don't follow a lot of the Jewish laws. Jesus changed things when he died on the cross for us. The Jews were the Chosen People and it's Biblical that they would not accept Jesus as their Saviour. They're only fulfilling Scripture by believing that Jesus was a Prophet.

I don't know a lot about Judaism, but they do seem very mystical and close to God. I admire them for always bouncing back because they've been displaced and tormented for ages. There's nothing that would be more fascinating to be able to visit with one of them and hear about all the things they believe in. Unfortunately, there are none that live right in my area so I've never had the privilege of chatting with one.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'm a Christian and could not convert to Judaism, BUT I have a lot of respect for them. They've been tormented throughout history and now they're back in their homeland. That's a very important part of what HAD to happen before the End of Times.

As was said before, they follow the teachings of only the Old Testament. That's one of the reasons they don't eat pork (the thing about animals with split hoofs being unclean).

We also have the New Testament so we don't follow a lot of the Jewish laws. Jesus changed things when he died on the cross for us. The Jews were the Chosen People and it's Biblical that they would not accept Jesus as their Saviour. They're only fulfilling Scripture by believing that Jesus was a Prophet.

I don't know a lot about Judaism, but they do seem very mystical and close to God. I admire them for always bouncing back because they've been displaced and tormented for ages. There's nothing that would be more fascinating to be able to visit with one of them and hear about all the things they believe in. Unfortunately, there are none that live right in my area so I've never had the privilege of chatting with one.
Well, you've got one right here! So there really aren't ANY Jewish people where you live? I guess that makes sense, since we're only about 1.8% of this country's population, but it still seems weird to me! Wish I could get you all to meet my great-aunt, who survived the Holocaust (in Lodz & Auschwitz) but lost most of her family... she actually doesn't ever talk about it, but I bet she'd have some stories to tell. Congressman Tom Lantos is a local & a survivor, and used to speak at our Temple about once a year - truly amazing and heart wrenching to hear him speak. Anyway, I'm glad you're all saying positive things about Judaism/Jews, and JessD, feel free to ask me any questions you might have... I'm not a scholar or anything, but will do my best to help.

P.S. If you want to read some great books on the Jewish experience, try these: Night - Elie Wiesel, The Chosen - Chaim Potok, The Bread Givers - Anzia Yezierska, and Maus I & II - Art Speigelman (that one's particularly fascinating, since it's done in comic-book style).

Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 AM

71 posts, read 400,101 times
My opinion is that most religions contradict themselves . . .
I was born Roman Catholic . . . My father was Greek Orthodox [which is double Catholic; twice the guilt, twice the sins!] . . . and then, when I was 8 years old, my mother [the Southern Baptist turned Roman Catholic] got "tired of being on her knees" and became a Congregationalist! I went with her to the Congregational Church (Prostestant).

I became confirmed in that church and later a Sunday School teacher. At 18 years old, I joined a performing arts group through "The Jewish Community Center" and they were the most loving, accepting and open-minded people I've ever met, at that time. I considered converting, as well . . . besides having fallen in love with a Jewish man, I just loved their mysticism and how they accepted me without judgement. At least, if they did judge me, they never stated it like many Christian's do.

My mother supported me learning all I could about different religions and to this day, I have the Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Koran and many, many other metaphysical, religious studies/overviews and learn and learn.

I decided, for myself, all the organized religions (so far) are much too "conditional" for my taste. They preach of "unconditional love" and then and go and tell you how you go to Hell or someplace not fun for the smallest infractions to the worst.

Sorry, an all loving, unconditional God CANNOT hate you enough to throw you into some "man-made idea" of a Hell. A loving being cannot possibly hate at the same time as love . . .

And no matter how you try to justify it . . . you are breaking a Biblical passage. Because you are, indeed, JUDGING us as sinners. That is not your job . . . Judge not and ye will not be judged.

That said, my dear, my Jewish friends . . . to this day, have yet to put any judgement on me. I believe . . . I know . . . go with what feels "right" to you.

I truly know . . . if you are a loving, good person in your heart. God, the Universe or whatever you want to call the Creator (Our Highest Energy) is UNCONDITIONAL in its love! Thus, there are no conditions if you follow the light . . . of your own soul and live the best, most positive life you can while you're here.

The only real hell is living among people who judge, purposely hurt or endanger others. Thus, if there is a hell . . . it exists right here! I know I feel like I'm in hell when people preach to me about all my sins (of which they have no knowledge) because I am not a certain religion or do not follow them blindly, or at all! Or tell me that my PROMISED unconditional love is conditional! That is truly hell to my senses!

Unconditional Love, Light and Peace my friends . . .

Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
Ooooooooook then.... I can understand not agreeing with a certain religion, but to sit there and say that "Christians" make you feel like you're in hell and/or make it sound that Christians make it "hell on earth" so to speak is rediculous! Didn't you just judge US they way you said you do not like to be judged???? BTW, I think the TOPIC of the thread is what do you think about Judaism...not what do you DISLIKE about Christians!

Anyway...back to the OP:
As a Christian, I/WE have the UTMOST RESPECT for Jews! The Jews are God's chosen people. And, as previously mentioned, Judaism is the grounds and basis for Christianity. The BIGGEST difference is that the Jews do not believe in Jesus as being the Messiah. The Jews BELIEVE in Jesus, but they believe He was a great prophet and not the Messiah/Savior that was promised in prophecy.
However, I do also know that there are Jews that have converted to Christianity because they were convicted that Jesus was in fact the Messiah. There is also a branch of Judaism (I don't know what they are called off hand) that DO believe that Jesus was the Messiah but are still considered Jew.
I guess the biggest thing that I would personally have to say to you is...
Do you believe in Jesus? Do you believe that He is the Son of God and was sent here to die for your sins? Or do you only believe in God and that Jesus was only a good prophet? You said you thought you were "Agnostic" you cannot be Agnostic and be a Jew...Jew's DO believe in God, with all of their heart!
I would suggest asking and asking and asking, whether on here or elsewhere and determine if you really do believe in God and His deity! That is the most important thing you need to figure out before trying to convert to anything

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me anytime! I will do my best to answer whatever I can for you

Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Wow AngelAura...now that was awesome. I applaud you for your insight!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 AM

71 posts, read 400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Ooooooooook then.... I can understand not agreeing with a certain religion, but to sit there and say that "Christians" make you feel like you're in hell and/or make it sound that Christians make it "hell on earth" so to speak is rediculous! Didn't you just judge US they way you said you do not like to be judged???? BTW, I think the TOPIC of the thread is what do you think about Judaism...not what do you DISLIKE about Christians!
Well, my post wasn't necessarily aimed at all Christians. There was just quite a few posts that spoke of "the last days" etc. and here, in NYC, there's a lot of groups pushing it down our throats everyday in the subways. And NYC has a strong Jewish community! I mean, sure, we walk by them as they try to stuff literature in our hands and yell in our faces.

Anyway, you had the greatest, most open-minded response! And I do have many Christian friends like you . . . the one's who truly do not judge and respect others choices.

Mine was more aimed at those who, in my humble opinion, seemed to be insinuating that it wrong not to accept Jesus as the Messiah. And if you don't, you go straight to hell . . . no matter what.

You didn't say that or insinuate it. Quite a few people did, though. [insinuate it].

I did say I loved Jewish people and found them open-minded and more accepting than MOST Christian groups [or at least, I am saying that now]. Not necessarily individual Christians -- just certain groups. My mother is still a strong Christian, as are most of my relatives. It doesn't change how I feel about them. I may disagree with them, or anyone, it doesn't mean I don't respect or care about some of them.

I just wish some of the one's who do try to judge or change others, would respect our right to freedom of choice in this country. And our right to not be followed or negative scriptures yelled out at us.

I mean, there's enough positive, loving scriptures to quote! I didn't even really say whether I still attend church. And actually, sometimes I do. I have found wonderful churches in several states that I've lived in . . . in NYC we have "Unity Church" and it's so wonderful, spiritual and open to everyone and anyone! There's more here, too . . . much more.

Even little Lancaster, PA has "The Metaphysical Church" and it's fabulous! I was rather shocked to find that in Amish/Mennonite country. But, it's there!

Thus, I apologize for generalizing. I was really responding to a few posts which seemed, to me, to be quite judgemental. Freedom of speech, I suppose -- it just can be annoying.

Bless all those who respect and love others as they are!

Love, Light and Peace to all the world . . .
Why can't we just love one another, differences and all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality