U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: would God punish His children forever
definitely 9 24.32%
never in an eternity would He 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Just how good does a person have to be to earn God's favor (without faith in Christ)? God says our best is as "filthy rags". Wouldn't that insinuate we could never meet His standard on our own?
Jesus said "be perfect because your heavenly father is perfect" why would He say that if He didnt beleive it could be done?

do you think Jesus is a liar-Jesus Himself said that-it makes sense because He knew where we came from He knew we were eternal beings absorbed in devine love-bliss-He knows our original state is and always was love of God- pure perfection of soul-

Jesus wouldnt have said that if He think it couldnt be done and Jesus is not the only one that is on that plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
15,246 posts, read 8,273,272 times
Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
Jesus said "be perfect because your heavenly father is perfect" why would He say that if He didnt beleive it could be done?

do you think Jesus is a liar-Jesus Himself said that-it makes sense because He knew where we came from He knew we were eternal beings absorbed in devine love-bliss-He knows our original state is and always was love of God- pure perfection of soul-

Jesus wouldnt have said that if He think it couldnt be done and Jesus is not the only one that is on that plane.
Christians are "perfect" in God's eyes, but not because of anything we've done. It's because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.

Romans 3

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Mark 10

18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

Isaiah 64

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,140,784 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christians are "perfect" in God's eyes, but not because of anything we've done. It's because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.

Romans 3

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Mark 10

18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

Isaiah 64

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
Do you ever feel guilty if you've ever done anything wrong. Anything that goes against becoming perfect. If so, you are reaping what you are sowing. And, if so, it also means that Jesus is not paying your bills, you are. You reap what you sow. Jesus does not pay anyones bills. And, if you remember what you read in your bible, Jesus tells us that we will pay to the last farthing.

Beliefs are of the mind and can do nothing for your salvation. You have to do the work of purifying your own soul. Blood and sacrifice are primitive ways of appeasing God. God does not need that. The only thing He wants from us is to come back home. Blood and sacrifice do not get you there. Love is who you are and Love is where you have to return. There is no love in blood or sacrifice. Jesus died because men did not understand His message. He did not come to change the world, He came to show us the way to God through Divine Love. If you love Jesus the way you claim, why not do as He asks. Love. Love. Love. Love till the hurt goes away and then Love some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 AM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christians are "perfect" in God's eyes, but not because of anything we've done. It's because of what Jesus did for us on the cross.

Romans 3

23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Mark 10

18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.

Isaiah 64

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;
we all shrivel up like a leaf,
and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
so if i just become a christian then ill be perfect you say- i used to be a christian and it only made things worse realy-i was afraid of God- now that my fear is gone i can start working on my Love for Him

one minute your saying your perfect the next your saying your a filthy rag -im confused

i agree with reverend111 -perfection has to be acheived its not just some mental concoction -oh i beleive this therefore im perfected-

if jesus died for you on the cross then why do you keep sinning,if your taking Jesus' name for your sins then why keep doin them,unless you are perfect but i doubt that -i personaly would rather take responsibilty and karma for me own thanks-if i ask Jesus for forgiveness but then keep on sinning then im only a cheat -lets ask Jesus to forgive us and it wont matter what sin we commit because He will forgive us no matter what,thats like using Jesus' name as an excuse to sin, unless you can say your sinnless-

again youve totally ignored the question

why is God sending non christians here knowing that they will burn in hell just for living their lives?

Last edited by dobeable; 03-27-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 AM
 
701 posts, read 659,512 times
Reputation: 128
Many places in the Bible, eternal simply means 'for as long as it lasts', for example the city of Sodom and Gomorrah was said to burn forever, but we know that it is not currently burning today. It simply means that the city burned until it was consumed completely. the Bible makes it clear that everybody will have a choice to accept God or reject Him. For those that decide to chose sin over God, then they will be cast into a lake of fire with their sin, and burn until they are fully consumed. Not eternally as is commonly viewed today. They will also burn according to their deeds, meaning some will burn like flash paper (consumed very fast) and others will burn like steel beams. The lake of fire will not be created till after the final judgement of all the wicked. God is a God of infinite love, but true love means granting free will and free will means having to allow people to make wrong choices even if it means their destruction. God ultimately seeks to destroy sin and it breaks His heart when the children he loves choose to die with their sin rather than accept His gift of eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 AM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Many places in the Bible, eternal simply means 'for as long as it lasts', for example the city of Sodom and Gomorrah was said to burn forever, but we know that it is not currently burning today. It simply means that the city burned until it was consumed completely. the Bible makes it clear that everybody will have a choice to accept God or reject Him. For those that decide to chose sin over God, then they will be cast into a lake of fire with their sin, and burn until they are fully consumed. Not eternally as is commonly viewed today. They will also burn according to their deeds, meaning some will burn like flash paper (consumed very fast) and others will burn like steel beams. The lake of fire will not be created till after the final judgement of all the wicked. God is a God of infinite love, but true love means granting free will and free will means having to allow people to make wrong choices even if it means their destruction. God ultimately seeks to destroy sin and it breaks His heart when the children he loves choose to die with their sin rather than accept His gift of eternal life.
i dont think thats completely true IMO- for one-how can Gods heart be broken ,He is in constant spiritual bliss-no man can break the heart of God-theirs nothing we can do that can effect Him-if this were true then God would be in a constant state of sadness since 99%of us are sinners

2-its the same question that keeps being avoided-God knows past,present ,future right-so why would He send people here knowing that they will be destroyed?-would you send your children to a place knowing that they wll fall for temptation and then be destroyed-it would be better for them not to exist at all -there existence would be pointless in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,791,154 times
Reputation: 10455
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
why is God sending non christians here knowing that they will burn in hell just for living their lives?
Shhh...I'll tell you a secret, but you've got to promise not to let anyone else know. Ready?

Christianity does not date the human race. There were non-Christians long before there were Christians! So the idea that we've been "sent" here to serve as some sort of measuring stick against which Christians may judge their own perfection is not only wrong, it's rather laughable.

But once again, you have to promise to keep this to yourself. Christians won't like the implications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 09:19 AM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,934,841 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Shhh...I'll tell you a secret, but you've got to promise not to let anyone else know. Ready?

Christianity does not date the human race. There were non-Christians long before there were Christians! So the idea that we've been "sent" here to serve as some sort of measuring stick against which Christians may judge their own perfection is not only wrong, it's rather laughable.

But once again, you have to promise to keep this to yourself. Christians won't like the implications.
ok i promise-LOL

but the sad part is is that Jesus did preach about love and love wouldnt have anything to do with that type of system-they just cant see past that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,498,392 times
Reputation: 7265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
ok i promise-LOL

but the sad part is is that Jesus did preach about love and love wouldnt have anything to do with that type of system-they just cant see past that
That is sad, but not as sad as following a myth which did not exist, or killing hundreds of millions in the name of this peace loving non existent myth. I think what we need is a major reality check on the whole christian religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,948,743 times
Reputation: 8127
Many people ( Christians included) only look at phrases that state God loves us.

Many quote -------" Love thy neighbor as thyself"

Why don't they quote the entire gospel?

" Love thy neighbor" was #2
" Love God" was #1

In that gospel, Jesus was asked------" How do we love you"
Jesus replied------" Keep my commandments"

It is interesting why many quote #2 but " conveniently" forget #1.
( perhaps it's because the lifestyle they lead is in violation of #1)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top