Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If a person's religion is untrue it's not like they're living an intentional lie. More likely they are living on something people believed was true, but turned out not to be true. Which means they're like most everyone else to one degree or another. Also due to that I wouldn't say people of the Hopi traditional religion or Shinto priests are exactly "spending their life believing a lie."

However fine let's say we've spent our life believing something that isn't true. So? Maybe our lives were richer and more fulfilling for it. And what makes you think you even know the truth or that you have it? I would say that it is certain that you don't. It's likely that after you die many things you believed will be disproved and become obsolete. Even if that's not the case there's no way you know anything but a fraction of "The Truth" because humanity in general only knows a fraction of it. We haven't unified the forces or reconciled Quantum Mechanics with Relativity or a host of other things.

Not to say that I have the Truth either because I don't. Much of the Truth is unknown to me because of the limits of my own intellect and the limits of humanity as a species. For me as a Christian I can at least have the hope that the Truth may eventually be revealed to me after death and when memory of me on Earth has evaporated to nothing. To me I found there to be no such hope in atheism and I suppose I'd rather even have a possibly false hope of getting answers than no hope at all.
This is a good argument. What it comes down to is, essentially,

(1) is it important that what we believe is based on the logical evaluation of good evidence (as distinct from what it makes us feel comfortable to believe)?

(2) do we acept that logical evaluation of the good evidence is the method with the best track record of getting at the truth?

If we buy both those parameters, religion, Culthink and fringe - science really isn't in the running.

If we don't, then one can happily select somethng to believe in - and I use the term 'select' advisedly, since only one or a few particular favoured beliefs are believed in.

That's ok so far as it goes and 'Living a lie' is perhaps a little harsh. But in many cases, it goes further than that. In wanting to persuade others of the validity of those beliefs (and it is only natural that people do) we start getting arguments put forward, facts adduced and reasoning engaged in.

But the reasoning is full of fallacy, the facts are cherry -picked, misrepresented or are not facts at all. Science is mangled to make it support the belief and, if it doesn't do that, is dimssed on the grounds that it led to the Death camps or the Bomb or some such stuff.

This is where the 'Lie' comes in. Not believing what a person may want to, but in those bods making a dog's dinner of logic, reason and evidence in trying to support that belief.

Quote:
For me as a Christian I can at least have the hope that the Truth may eventually be revealed to me after death and when memory of me on Earth has evaporated to nothing. To me I found there to be no such hope in atheism and I suppose I'd rather even have a possibly false hope of getting answers than no hope at all
You'll see that the problem here is not in hoping that, after death the truths which science freely admits it doesn't know might become known to a liberated after - life, which an atheist would probaly say would be quite nice, but who knows. The problem is that you (as a Christian) are expecting a very particular 'Truth'. You are expecting that you will be told after death that Christianity was right, after all.

An atheist has the advantage - a double advantage - in that he or she is not limited to expecting only one 'truth' but is ready for any of 'em, and that He or she is not wasting this life in ignoring what we can find out while we're alive in the hope that we'll have it revaled to us after we're dead.

It's the reverse Pascal's wager. Since we don't know which of the beliefs is the right one and since it seems impossible to believe that we will (after death) be excluded from true knowledge on a selection process based on what method of worship we practiced when alive, it is better to bet that we WON'T find out after we're dead and should do what we can to satisfy our need to know in this life.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-29-2010 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Always something more to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_DARLING View Post
What is the ultimate destiny of non-believers? Do Christians believe that they will be thrown into the Lake of Fire? If so I personally think that at least this kind of Christianty is totally discredited. What about Jewish people who don't believe? Will there be some Jews who were murdered by the Nazis in or destined for this Lake of Fire?
Ummm...the same destiny as what awaits "believers" I imagine.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
Fair enough. They are, interestingly enough, the questions I'd like answers to also and, if we went to some place after we died where we got all the answers to those questions, that would be nice.

But the point is that, for all we know, we will not get to any such place and as far as the evidence goes, it looks like no -one ever has, so, the bet is that we should better try to find out the answers that we can here and leave the possible 'other place' until after we die, since, as I say, there probably isn't one.

Unless the other place is in some way dependent on having signed up to some belief system otherwise we won't get it, which is what I covered by talking of expecting a specific and particular 'Truth'.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-16-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Even if I devoted my life to answering unanswered questions it's unlikely I'd answer more than a fraction of them.

However I get what you're saying. If non-believers can go to Heaven and get these answers too then there's no real advantage to being a believer. However if belief is wrong than non-belief is better because you'll do more to learn/achieve in this life.

Unfortunately I'm getting rather ill so I might have to stop there. Still I'm not sure if atheists go to Heaven or that trying to do everything in this life is even desirable. It seems like a good deal of pressure.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I think a difference Vic is that I'm talking about actual religions in the real world, not stereotypes of religion that exist in an atheist's imagination. I think I might be getting a fever though so read some Richard Swinburne or Alvin Plantinga or Huston Smith or something before you get back to me.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,798 times
The God of the Bible is a wrathful God, yet He loves you enough to let his son be whipped, tortured, jeered at, hung on a tree and die for YOU. Because He wants to spend eternity with you. Would you let all of that happen to your son for someone else you loved if it was the only way to save them? God is loving because no matter how many times I screw up, He still loves me.

~A College Student

Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,798 times
I would like to formally apologize for all the "christians" that have been accusing, angry, and just rude on this forum, other webpages, and in real life. Christians are supposed to practice being "Christ-like". Name calling, stupid smileys, and the like are immature and insulting not just to the unbelievers these "christians" are talking to, but also to those of us who seek to clear the stereotypical view of real christians as being intolerable, religious bigots. To all the "christians" who fit into what I described above, please think before you speak. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Thanks for the apology, but I assure you will all give as much as we get here.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
This one is veering off topic, folks, so let's keep the OP in mind and get it back on track, okay?

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Oh PUH-LEEEZZZZ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

√ Most unbelievers know exactly what is going to happen to them, they just choose not to take action for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelieving_rflmn™
And why would that be the case, if we KNOW what's in store for us? We're braver than you? Here, you are insisting that being an un-believer is a sure-fire (pardon the pun...) one-way ticket to a hell that, BTW, is never mentioned in the bible. An interesting [but understandable...] bit of good old fashioned fear-mongering, TBS)
√ Please tell me why most Atheist know more bible verses off the top of their head than I do! So I make no excuses for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
Because, silly, we educated ourselves with an unblinking perspective back when we were becoming understandably skeptical Christians, when we needed some rational explanations about all the obvious contradictions.

I mean, really.... Noah's Ark? A 6000 yr old Earth? Dinos alive today, & co-existing with man? What tripe and colossal nonsense, and yet, actual adults still buy into it, hook, line & sinker!

Most atheists, us horrible "unbelievers", were, yep, once equally devout, obedient Christians as you are, however we thought ourselves out of that nonsense, all on our own for the most part, which apparently fundy Christian adults are intellectually or spiritually incapable of accomplishing.

Instead, they actively prefer the assumed safety in being part of that "flock of bleating sheeple" mentality. Well and often demo'd right here on C-D and of course, out in the real world. Just check in to your local Baptist Church on any Sunday. Your loss I'm afraid!
√ The only reason unbelievers don't believe is because they have a fear of hell. All of them. They fear hell so they decide to reject the notion of a God and Heaven/Hell because they know the consequences that the bible foretells about it. And they STILL choose to not believe. Well, that's their fish to fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing_like_crazy_rflmn™
Now this was funny! Illogical from the outset! I mean, really... what staggering upside-down and intellectually bereft illiteracy! An atheist's simply reacting to a supposed fear of a made-up hell image, proven to be a simplistic administrative ploy intended to frighten the huddled sheeple into compliance? Please DO point out the specific biblical passage referencing a literal hell?

And also, please... don't find and link that amazingly stupid "Sounds of Hell from the Deep Drill Hole" bit. Even Art Bell shoulda known better, though his market-oriented brain may just be the best type for a Christian spiritual-lemming group.... He's got to attract his advertisers after all, and the Chruch always needs more funds, just like Art....

You can keep your own unjustified fear of an imagined HELL. You go, girl!

...in my personal view **we are all one and the same. No one is excused before the Lord.
Well OK; thank gawd you noted, correctly, that this is only your "personal view". Thank the Godz that you're also not in charge of this nation! Or our educational system!

("You vill all bow your headz undt pray to our nationally sanctioned God, on my kommandt! Now!") {Remembering that Hitler was, after all, a good Christian!}

**BTW, I'm NOT anything like you! We are not all one and the same. I came from a thoughtful and opportunistic proto-ape. But you? We educated scientific Evolutionists are having second thoughts about that: the devoutly religious denialists may indeed have descended from some other early organism. A blind bat perhaps?

So yup; I AM officially excused from your personal spiritual lunacy. I, unlike you, am unfazed by thinking things all the way through, and will therefore be excused from a meeting with your wooden-icon God.

But even if I do have the odd dis-pleasure of meeting Him, I will then be asking exactly why He made me the outrageous skeptic that I am, it all being pre-determined by Him anyhow, according to you folks.

Well anyhow; muddle on, my friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality