Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 12:28 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,500,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Good lord. What grown adult that is gainfully employed doesn't have a license? In fact, he has a Class C license, which means he's got more opportunity for jobs.

You really are a Negative Nellie, aren't you.
Some people have health problems that bar them from ever obtaining a driver's license. Do you want someone who has seizures to be on the road with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:05 PM

388 posts, read 536,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would have to game my app to get to the minimum qualifying income. I don't think much of 3x income to qualify since I have extensive experience timely paying rent with income 1.35 to 2.45 times rent. Why should I have to suffer because OTHER PEOPLE cannot manage their money?
Actually you're suffering because YOU couldn't manage YOUR money.

That's why (based on your past posts,) you have a lousy credit score, as well as have significant debt (and yet invested in silver, an extremely volatile commodity), which are major causes of of your problems.

Last edited by TampaBull13; 04-24-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 54,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Then it was paid for by a private disability policy and not coming out of your tax dollars. You have to have worked to collect SSDI.
That's not always true. My husband's best friend has been disabled since he was 14, and he gets a monthly disability check from the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Do your research....landlords (private and/or corp) do NOT require you to requalify annually. The ones that do are those that are income based...sec8, public housing..etc.
Mine does. We have lived here 4yrs now, and every fall, when our lease comes up for renewal; he comes and does a walkthrough, and asks for proof of our income. All we do is pull up our payroll off of Dayforce online to show our income for the year to date, and he's good. Just wants to see we are still able to pay him, and he's fine. (But we both work for the same company, and use the company credit union, so he knows we are still working and such). As long as he has his rent check mailed to him and in his hands by the 5th, he's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
I have never personally negotiated on rent, but in my area I have heard that over the November December holiday season when things are slow, some landlords will negotiate up to 5% off the listed rent in order to get the unit occupied faster, rather than have the unit sit vacant for a month or two. During the summer, no one dare negotiate. If you like the unit, put in an application immediately or it may not still be there later that afternoon, and if you don't like the rent rate, someone else surely will.
There are quite a few apt complexes that do specials throughout the year in this area. They usually do a $99/first month special in fall, Christmas, spring, and summer. But there are also 10 colleges within 50 miles of here too, so that makes a difference. (colleges include university's and community colleges both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Good lord. What grown adult that is gainfully employed doesn't have a license? In fact, he has a Class C license, which means he's got more opportunity for jobs.

You really are a Negative Nellie, aren't you.
I know 6 people that have never had a license. Four have medical disabilities, and the other two are terrified to drive stemming from car wrecks when they were younger.

Know a ton of people who can't get their license back for habitual offender status.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM

658 posts, read 722,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
People who fight for $15 minimum wage can't afford to own a home. That's why.
I paid less for a mortgage than I did for rent. Rents have become utterly ridiculous. Landlords are out of their minds.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I paid less for a mortgage than I did for rent. Rents have become utterly ridiculous. Landlords are out of their minds.
But isn't that because you have to pay water, heat, and taxes?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I paid less for a mortgage than I did for rent.
Because most Landlords want to make some sort of profit, so of course you paid more in rent then what you would pay for a mortgage.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:15 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because most Landlords want to make some sort of profit, so of course you paid more in rent then what you would pay for a mortgage.
But isn't it pretty much the same or a little more since someone with a mortgage has to pay

1. heat
2. water
3. Taxes
4. Repairs

Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Actually you're suffering because YOU couldn't manage YOUR money.

That's why (based on your past posts,) you have a lousy credit score, as well as have significant debt (and yet invested in silver, an extremely volatile commodity), which are major causes of of your problems.

??? ??? I was managing money until landing abruptly in hospital for several months with no income, and then unable to work for another year (was using a walker for mobility, it was ugly). I don't know anyone who can manage having NO money as I did.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
But isn't it pretty much the same or a little more since someone with a mortgage has to pay

1. heat
2. water
3. Taxes
4. Repairs

??? ??? I've usually had to pay water, which is outrageously priced where I live, plus utilities post a DISeconomy of scale when living with numerous roommates. In this house, individual use costs only 1/7 and individual conservation saves you only 1/7 - so there is an overwhelming incentive to consume rather than to conserve.

In the long run, rent is a financial killer. Consider the aggregate difference between owning a house for 30 years and renting the same house for 30 years. Homeowner wins hands down and laughs all the way to the bank.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
But isn't that because you have to pay water, heat, and taxes?

In most states, property taxes are lower on an owner-occupied home than taxes on the same property used as a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting