Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, they don't and no, they don't.

Does your landlord (who is a freaking genius, by the way) require you to submit your employment and income information on a yearly basis? No, he doesn't. Katie's does because she's living off the govt and that's what they require.

Do your research, landlords commonly require their applicants to have income 3x or 4x (or more) the rent.

How can these landlords NOT requalify their tenants annually? If they do not requalify their tenants annually, then isn't 3x or 4x a meaningless requirement NOT related to ability to timely pay rent? What's to stop applicants from gaming their rental apps by working extra for six months to get to the magic qualifying income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
You can do that in the rural area but then you want the convenience of being in town. Something have to give here. You can't expect to have it all and blame it to the government.

Being able to get to my job and my doctor is important to me.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do your research, landlords commonly require their applicants to have income 3x or 4x (or more) the rent.

How can these landlords NOT requalify their tenants annually? If they do not requalify their tenants annually, then isn't 3x or 4x a meaningless requirement NOT related to ability to timely pay rent? What's to stop applicants from gaming their rental apps by working extra for six months to get to the magic qualifying income?
Do your research....landlords (private and/or corp) do NOT require you to requalify annually. The ones that do are those that are income based...sec8, public housing..etc.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:

*sigh* I require 3x times the rent - I think that's pretty standard. I also factor in past rental history and general credit history. I've never required a recertification, the most I require is a walkthrough before renewal.

Yes, I suppose you could game you application - but what I don't understand is why you would want to. I've never feel comfortable spending anywhere near what the bank is willing to give us on a mortgage when we have shopping for a home for ourselves.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
How come I've never seen residential rent negotiated? Why is it always dictated as a take-it-or-leave-it proposition?

What is there to negotiate? When I have a rental go on the market - the price is already set by the local market. For there to be negotiation - the tenant would have to offer me something for more favorable terms on the rental. I've never had a property that needed any sort of "caretaking" by the tenant so that's out, and I'm running a for-profit business so I'm not lowering prices based on "hard luck" stories.

Frankly, I think negotiating on a tenant by tenant basis is a quick way to get into a lawsuit. Our market is a little different here though - I basically hold an open house on a weekend and take applications. I timestamp all the completed applications and rent to the first one who meets all the requirements even though they might not be my first choice for personal reasons.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM

305 posts, read 570,015 times
I have never personally negotiated on rent, but in my area I have heard that over the November December holiday season when things are slow, some landlords will negotiate up to 5% off the listed rent in order to get the unit occupied faster, rather than have the unit sit vacant for a month or two. During the summer, no one dare negotiate. If you like the unit, put in an application immediately or it may not still be there later that afternoon, and if you don't like the rent rate, someone else surely will.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
How come I've never seen residential rent negotiated? Why is it always dictated as a take-it-or-leave-it proposition?
Because it is. Just as the price of groceries is never negotiated.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
??? ??? If I can afford to buy a 400 sq ft house and its land, but the zoning does not allow the independent sale of said property, how does it have NOTHING to do with zoning laws?
How does it have NOTHING to do with the fact that you make no money? That you are fixated on a particular area and refuse to consider moving? That your credit is shot? That you "believe" that you can afford this mystical tiny house on a tiny lot, but in reality couldn't anyway.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 AM

234 posts, read 202,397 times
Quote:
BZZT! In many areas you will have a difficult time finding a tenant who makes $6000 a month because in those areas people who earn $6000/month own homes.
Considering my rent is ranges from 2500 - 3500 a month it isn't too hard finding tenants that make $6k a month.

They just happen to not be broke losers that complain about landlords. They WANT to live in my place and I usually even underprice the market so I get bidding wars on my rent.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Hm, the last time I rented I had ZERO income, having recently moved to a new area and hadn't found a job yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting