Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I get that part, I guess what I'm asking is, if you're a snowbird for four or five months, how do you handle your healthcare?
Easiest is by not having an Advantage plan so you are free to see any medical provider.
We established a primary also here in Florida for when we were here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:36 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
I get that part, I guess what I'm asking is, if you're a snowbird for four or five months, how do you handle your healthcare?
What do you mean? I would think most people can go 4 or 5 months without seeing a doctor, dentist, etc.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
We reverse snowbird: We live in Deer Valley during ski season, and Las Vegas during poker season.

I try to get in 80+ days on the slopes. This past winter I skied over 1.2 million vertical feet, much of which was in mogul fields and in dense trees.

Once the Deer Valley closes for the season, we come back to Las Vegas.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We reverse snowbird: We live in Deer Valley during ski season, and Las Vegas during poker season.

I try to get in 80+ days on the slopes. This past winter I skied over 1.2 million vertical feet, much of which was in mogul fields and in dense trees.

Once the Deer Valley closes for the season, we come back to Las Vegas.
Rent or own? Perhaps you don't plan to do this after a certain age or state of physical condition?

I know a man now in his early 60's who has a similar MO. He lives/owns in Hawaii but spends a lot of time skiing all over US and Canada during winter. I believe his favorite area is in BC, could be wrong about this though. Doesn't own any property in N. America.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Rent or own? Perhaps you don't plan to do this after a certain age or state of physical condition?

I know a man now in his early 60's who has a similar MO. He lives/owns in Hawaii but spends a lot of time skiing all over US and Canada during winter. I believe his favorite area is in BC, could be wrong about this though. Doesn't own any property in N. America.
We own in both locations.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Quote:
What do you mean? I would think most people can go 4 or 5 months without seeing a doctor, dentist, etc.
What if you break your leg? Or some other emergency?

Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,252,924 times
Quote:
Easiest is by not having an Advantage plan so you are free to see any medical provider.
We established a primary also here in Florida for when we were here.
I am also curious about the healthcare issue. Is the advantage plan a medicare supplement thing? What are the options, about what are the cost differences?

Im about three years from medicare eligibility but dislike the situation Im in now with Kaiser. Kaiser is in Coloardo and California but not Arizona. We are spending about half the time in Colorado and half the time in Arizona and am pretty sure its going to be an enormous (and extra costly) hassle if I ever need any sort of substantial care while in Arizona because no Kaiser there.

We are going to change things a little in the next year or so.. spend 7 months in Az and 5 months in Colorado (which means becoming AZ residents) and replace Kaiser Hopefully with something that provides a smooth transition when I become eligible for medicare.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
What if you break your leg? Or some other emergency?
Pretty sure my insurance would cover emergency room expenses incurred out of state.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:53 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Quote:
Pretty sure my insurance would cover emergency room expenses incurred out of state.
Pretty sure, or 100% positive?

Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM

151 posts, read 107,213 times
Here is what a child hood friend of mine did when he retired .

He searched the places his older brother had " snow bird" in South Texas but decided that wasn't for him.

Him and his wife bought a used double wide set up in a 55+ community in North Arkansas near a lake.
Nice park.......lawn that is taken care of by management, big lot, shade trees and wonderful neighbors who also are retirees from various states. They live there 7 months (Oct 1- May 1)

Him and his wife also bought a 36 ft used camper that stays year around on a seasonal ,small, RV park on a lake in northern Minnesota. They live there 5 months ( May 1-Oct 1)

He keeps a fishing boat at both locations.
The locations are about 900 miles apart.

Both him and his wife are friendly , outgoing type people that make friends easily.

They have been doing this since 2015 and plan to continue as long as they are able to make the trip.

Both are now early 70's and in good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement