U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Florida -
8,774 posts, read 10,882,294 times
Reputation: 16675

Advertisements

Interesting thread -- Here's another perspective. If you went 'back' to the 50's, would you be in a 'time lock' that never left Mayberry, RFD?? OR, would you again grow through the 60's etc. Plus, how do you know you wouldn't make the same teenage or twenties mistakes again? ..... Or, if you are happy with your life now, .... risk changing everything, by re-living the past.

Maybe the plan that we only 'go around once' has some merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,722,260 times
Reputation: 35455
If I could go back knowing now what I didn't know then I would certainly take my do-overs. But that would corrupt the time-stream and Doctor Who tells us we cannot do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
 
12,320 posts, read 15,241,711 times
Reputation: 8121
Today's teenagers will be talking about how good things were now, about forty years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
 
2,926 posts, read 3,559,207 times
Reputation: 4138
I would go back without hesitation. As for missing today's technology and mindless complexity, I say phooey.

I think that even lower-middle-class women had a better deal in the 1950's than men in many ways. Furthermore, the idea posted above that everybody's family was dysfunctional is baloney -- my family was just fine. There was absolutely no familial abuse of anyone ; quite the contrary. This was the case for everyone I knew in that time period. But Blacks got a raw deal, as they historically had, and there was always the threat of nuclear war . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I would go back without hesitation. As for missing today's technology and mindless complexity, I say phooey.

I think that even lower-middle-class women had a better deal in the 1950's than men in many ways. Furthermore, the idea posted above that everybody's family was dysfunctional is baloney -- my family was just fine. There was absolutely no familial abuse of anyone ; quite the contrary. This was the case for everyone I knew in that time period. But Blacks got a raw deal, as they historically had, and there was always the threat of nuclear war . . .
Would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
 
2,926 posts, read 3,559,207 times
Reputation: 4138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion? Thank you.
Hi, Lenora. Just my opinion. I understand that your opinion may differ.

Two things that influenced my thoughts were (1) women were not subject to the military draft, which amounted to involuntary servitude for men of the era, and (2) many women could, if they chose, stay out of the workplace. This option was not available to many men. Again, just my opinion, but my opinion is that the position of "housewife" is far superior to the position of some poor slob, male or female, subjected to the drudgery and abuse of the workplace while trying to get tenure, make partner, or climb a corporate ladder, only to find that there's no "there" there.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 10-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: compulsive editing is a disease of the retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,909,558 times
Reputation: 11886
I'd like to go back when we paid Americans to make clothes, furniture, shoes.
I liked it when we had corner drug stores with a lunch counter and the girl behind the counter could make you an ice cream sundae made with real hand dipped Ice cream.
I liked it when my mom stayed home and took care of my siblings and then made supper when my dad got home from work.
I liked it when we played baseball all day Saturday until my mom sent my brother to get me to come home for supper.
I liked it when my day surprised us in the Summer with a trip to Olympic Park, Irvington, NJ for the evening.

If I didn't have a computer I wouldn't be wasting so much time posting on topics read by people I don't even know.

Would I like to go back? Absolutely!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Hi, Lenora. Just my opinion. I understand that your opinion may differ.

Two things that influenced my thoughts were (1) women were not subject to the military draft, which amounted to involuntary servitude for men of the era, and (2) many women could, if they chose, stay out of the workplace. This option was not available to many men. Again, just my opinion, but my opinion is that the position of "housewife" is far superior to the position of some poor slob, male or female, subjected to the drudgery and abuse of the workplace while trying to get tenure, make partner, or climb a corporate ladder, only to find that there's no "there" there.
Hmm, I agree with you regarding the draft, but otherwise, no. Few women had choices at that time. Corporate ladder? Are you kidding me? In 1968, I worked in the local bakery. Females worked the counter, guys worked as bakers. Perfectly legal. I made less than minimum wage (not so legal.) I wanted the damn jobs that were advertised under the "male-white" column in the employment section of the local newspaper.

Housewife? Way too much work for no pay / no social security. I would like to have been one of the guys. Work 8 hours, maybe go out for a few beers with my buddies after work and go home to a nice home cooked meal. Sounds great to me!

Edit: I just remembered a true 50's story that illustrates my point. Mom went into labor and apparently things did not look good. The Doctor went to my Dad and and told him that it was possible that he, the Doctor, could only save my Mom or the baby. Dad was asked to choose and he complied. THAT is a perfect example of a woman's life in the 50's.

Last edited by lenora; 10-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM
 
2,926 posts, read 3,559,207 times
Reputation: 4138
Is it not true that many women had the option of staying out of the workforce? I knew many who chose to do just exactly that, and did just exactly that. In fact, I knew quite a few women who had a really good life in the 1950's. Although I am sorry that things didn't work out so well for you in those days, I think from reading some of your other posts that you are now an attorney. So I guess things worked out Ok for you in the long run.

You asked for my thoughts, so I told you. Really, I don't care at all whether you agree or not -- to each his own concerning a very subjective matter. At some point a discussion like this becomes a religious issue.

By the way, in 1968 I worked in the produce dept of the Giant Food one block off Loch Raven Blvd near Belvedere for about $2.00 an hour and no benefits -- not all that much different from working in the bakery, I imagine. I handled a lot of rotting produce. Have you ever dealt with a cart full of rotting 25-pound watermelons? The idea that white males woke up each morning and said to themselves something like "well, today should I be a captain of industry, or should I be Fleet Admiral?" is beyond ridiculous. Also, I would like to see a copy of the Baltimore Sun from 1968 that listed jobs under the category "white males." I read the Sun in those days, and until I see convincing evidence to the contrary I will continue to believe that this is nothing but pure feminist bunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,277,517 times
Reputation: 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Is it not true that many women had the option of staying out of the workforce? I knew many who chose to do just exactly that, and did just exactly that. In fact, I knew quite a few women who had a really good life in the 1950's. Although I am sorry that things didn't work out so well for you in those days, I think from reading some of your other posts that you are now an attorney. So I guess things worked out Ok for you in the long run.

You asked for my thoughts, so I told you. Really, I don't care at all whether you agree or not -- to each his own concerning a very subjective matter. At some point a discussion like this becomes a religious issue.

By the way, in 1968 I worked in the produce dept of the Giant Food one block off Loch Raven Blvd near Belvedere for about $2.00 an hour and no benefits -- not all that much different from working in the bakery, I imagine. I handled a lot of rotting produce. Have you ever dealt with a cart full of rotting 25-pound watermelons? The idea that white males woke up each morning and said to themselves something like "well, today should I be a captain of industry, or should I be Fleet Admiral?" is beyond ridiculous. Also, I would like to see a copy of the Baltimore Sun from 1968 that listed jobs under the category "white males." I read the Sun in those days, and until I see convincing evidence to the contrary I will continue to believe that this is nothing but pure feminist bunk.
"White" would have been illegal after the civil rights act, but all the newspapers I know of in those days had two listing categories, "Employment-male" and "Employment-female". And as far as saying women had the option of not working...are you really old enough to remember these times? Career women were the exception, some women had to work from economic necessity, most stayed home with the kids and would have been criticized for working outside the home, if their husband had even let them do so.

Last edited by subject2change; 10-04-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top