Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0290.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	87373

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0172.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	87374

Here is a before and after photo of what we did to the kitchen. Fun project. We have always loved mid century homes and took this one for a bit of a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I remember a PBS documentary a while back about assisted suicide in Sweden. The film followed the decline of a man who had Lou Gehrig's disease (I think he'd been a professor?) and his wife who was taking care of him. They made their decision and moved to a facility in Sweden with a doctor known for this, and the whole film documented everything in detail including the man alertly testifying in front of the camera that he was going through with it, then drinking the potion and actually dying as millions of viewers watched on TV. It seemed very peaceful--but it was very well planned. I remember thinking that the stated cost of this (on the part of the facility) was not that much. I wonder about these practices around the world, from an anthropological/sociological perspective.
The nice thing is that there are still some options and when we get really bad we can opt to go under Hospice care and Medicare picks up the cost for the meds and the equipment. Saves the family and the tax payer tons of money. The notion that a bed ridden/vegetable is more comfortable in a hospital is a myth. My mom has all the care she needs right at home and has a nurse come twice a week or as often as needed 24/7. They keep the patient pain free, clean and comfortable. What more do people expect? I would be very please with simply this service at my time of dying. Of course there are different levels of suffering, like the Lou Gehrigs disease where you choke to death slowly. Very sad.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If I ever decide to go the take-my-own-life route it won't be with a gun. One flinch and you're still here and a vegetable. No thanks. Good drugs are the way to go.
Yes, a Keith Moon cocktail at the end. LOL

Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
This thread has taken a turn for the macabre.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
This thread has taken a turn for the macabre.
Yes let's get back to affordable places to grow old...

Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Those of us with dementia will have to get together on the White House lawn and Occupy. If we can remember what we're there for.
Oh, for fun.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

My siblings and I ... have thought about living together and hiring nursing help.
Actually, this is not a bad idea.

It would take about 4 CNAs to have someone there most of the daylight hours. At $3500 apiece to cover salary, taxes, health insurance (is this a reasonable figure?) and $2000 to cover meals, utilities, etc., it would come to $16,000 a month. Divided by 8 people, this would be $2,000/month apiece. Still would have to come up with the home to do it in, but certainly 8 people pooling their resources could find a suitable place. Maybe one of these McMansions that are sitting on the market.

Friends of ours joined a group of couples who built townhouses along the river in Duluth. They operate their own HOA and hire all the yardwork and exterior maintenance. When the time comes, they could all share housekeepers and CNAs.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Yes let's get back to affordable places to grow old...
On that note: I've been snooping at Del Webb Ponte Vedra, FL (Nocatee) and have read mixed reviews, I think it's going on our list of look-ats when we start traveling next summer.

Del Webb Ponte Vedra | Active Adult Community Ponte Vedra FL | Del Webb homes

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Has anyone looked into the coastal towns of central Virginia? I'm talking about all those small towns in the area of Tappahannock. I live in VA but have not spent any time in that section of the state--it's much less expensive than other parts of VA but I don't know what it would be like as a place to live. Any opinions?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:49 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Has anyone looked into the coastal towns of central Virginia? I'm talking about all those small towns in the area of Tappahannock. I live in VA but have not spent any time in that section of the state--it's much less expensive than other parts of VA but I don't know what it would be like as a place to live. Any opinions?

My mother came from that area, the northern neck of virginia, and i have been visiting there- primarily kilmarnock, irvington, white stone areas- for many years. there was a time when my husband and i had seriously considered retirement there, as it is a beautiful area and one where i've always felt at home. after looking at many properties there- this was 12+ years ago- we decided that it was too remote and too far removed from major medical facilities for an aging couple. i still love the area and can become very nostlagic still when i think about relocating there, as i occasionally do. it is surrounded by water with boating a major interest, and some of the properties available there can be purchased for a reasonable price. this is probably more true in essex and ricmond counties where tappannock and warsaw are located than in lancaster county where irvington is located. waterfront in most areas is still very expensive. but it is relatively easy to find a single house with some ground if this is an interest.

what makes it so appealing also , in my opinion, makes it less practical as a retirement location. there is no easy, fast route to richmond and norfolk, the closest cities.

have you ever considered the middle peninsula- gloucester , matthews, and middlesex counties, which are south of the northern neck but somewhat more accessible, at least to norfolk, but still very water oriented with some reasonable, lovely real estate? i've come to find this area more appealing than the northern neck- more ammenities but still country/village like in feel.

catsy girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement