Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Very cool! Thanks for the link. However, I could not find anything related to "inexpensive senior housing (rentals)" or any rentals in this community, only single family homes. Did I miss this on the website? Thanks in advance.
\

I'm not sure why the senior housing isn't listed - it exists because we have seen it - a large building in the middle of restaurants and other businesses - really a prime area for concerts, movies, walking, etc..

I found this old ad that affirms there is senior housing and that it is for restricted income seniors

2br - Upscale Senior Living in Beautiful Norton Commons Development - Prospect - Houses - Apartments for Rent - norton commons

This looks like a current listing - $695 a month

SRMKY » 10639 Meeting St - #407
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I love reading about your wonderful location in KY. Can you elaborate on some of the less expensive places a retiree could live in KY that are safe, affordable and charming, if that's possible ? I love the arts and plan to drive down to KY for a visit, and will certainly visit Berea, but for retirement, I'm on a budget and would like to be closer to some larger city amenities such as Trader Joe's and maybe within driving range of a Costco. I love historic architecture, but am moving next year solo, so that's a consideration, as I would want to live where other people are close by (i.e., not rural) and with whom I could interact and develop friendships over time. I'm a renter and would look to continue that for the near future at least. Walkability would be nice, but affordability and safety are paramount. Any thoughts in KY? I'm so glad to hear you have found a wonderful place!
Let me think about that - there are quite a few historic areas in the Louisville area - several of them near Trader Joes (about 20 minutes from Costco and down the street from 2 malls - but busy area with quite a bit of traffic)....St. Matthews, Crescent Hill - full of charming old homes and a desirable area. Rentals are at a premium but they do exist. I have a friend who is a realtor - I will pm you tomorrow and give you her number....she is a great lady who would be happy to talk to you about areas that might work for you.

There are also other towns I really love that aren't close to Costco or Trader Joe's but have decent services, lots of charm, old-fashioned communities, farmer's markets, community events, fun shops and restaurants - La Grange is about 45 mintues from downtown Louisville, Bardstown is abouit an hour. I also love Danville - about 90 minutes from Louisville.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Let me think about that - there are quite a few historic areas in the Louisville area - several of them near Trader Joes (about 20 minutes from Costco and down the street from 2 malls - but busy area with quite a bit of traffic)....St. Matthews, Crescent Hill - full of charming old homes and a desirable area. Rentals are at a premium but they do exist. I have a friend who is a realtor - I will pm you tomorrow and give you her number....she is a great lady who would be happy to talk to you about areas that might work for you.

There are also other towns I really love that aren't close to Costco or Trader Joe's but have decent services, lots of charm, old-fashioned communities, farmer's markets, community events, fun shops and restaurants - La Grange is about 45 mintues from downtown Louisville, Bardstown is abouit an hour. I also love Danville - about 90 minutes from Louisville.
Thanks so much for the info. I did get the message with the contact information for the realtor you suggested and I appreciate it. Actually you posted it as a public message instead of a PM, but I still got the information. I'm still deciding where my ideal location will be, and I'll be visiting several places over the next year. It's good to have a contact for that area.

Thanks for mentioning the other towns as well. I will definitely be exploring KY in the coming year.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:47 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
\

I'm not sure why the senior housing isn't listed - it exists because we have seen it - a large building in the middle of restaurants and other businesses - really a prime area for concerts, movies, walking, etc..

I found this old ad that affirms there is senior housing and that it is for restricted income seniors

2br - Upscale Senior Living in Beautiful Norton Commons Development - Prospect - Houses - Apartments for Rent - norton commons

Perhaps that particular development doesn't have available rentals at this time, so that would explain why there aren't any listed on their website. I appreciate the link for future reference. The rentals look really nice and are reasonably priced, though one would have to meet the criteria.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:

Looks nice enough for the price and the amount of room but truth be known, we wouldn't be able to move our pots and pans into that kitchen, much less the rest of our culinary needs. Cooking is huge with us as a hobby and a delight. And, "No!" we're not overweight.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM

14 posts, read 40,243 times
Default Cherokee Village, AR

I work in Memphis and have a vacation place in Cherokee Village, AR about 135 miles NE of Memphis in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. It is hot for sure in summer but it is also a little cooler in the summer. In the South and Midsouth you are going to have hot summers and mild winters. A couple of snow days per year, that's it in the winter. Fresh air, lakes, beautiful rivers, golf courses, community pools, decent schools, LOW taxes, good small town living with just enough conveniences--no big box stores except for Walmart--1 hour in each direction for those and a good hospital (although you can find an emergency room clinic and some doctors in CV). The housing market is flooded there--there a lot of good deals to be had. Some nice lake homes $100-$150 with the average being about $200k. Other homes under $50+. Cherokee Village was the first planned retirement village in the State of Arkansas in the 1950s and 1960s by John Cooper who also developed Bella Vista, AR in the NW corner of the State near Bentonville (also might want to check out Bella Vista--a very good housing market there).

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Looks nice enough for the price and the amount of room but truth be known, we wouldn't be able to move our pots and pans into that kitchen, much less the rest of our culinary needs. Cooking is huge with us as a hobby and a delight. And, "No!" we're not overweight.
I'd have to sacrifice some pots and pans and gizmos, too. Cooking and food prep has long been a passion of mine, and for this amazing price - well, if needed, I could sure deal. I learned to cook at my granny's side and she would have been thrilled to have this kitchen. Cooking isn't about stuff, it's about technique and about the heart.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 AM

Here is their listings on Facebook - there are 2 units available right now. I don't know what the financial requirements are - these units are for those with "limited" income it says.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Here is a 1 bedroom for $575 http://www.srmky.com/apartments/457/

Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
lived in arkansas all my life simple don't live here period if you want a job and if you retire here please don't do like most northerners do and complain about the way things are in arkansas and how they are going to change them. simple living instruction to retire here. all northerners love it her. all arkansasans hate northers comming here taking all the jobs buying up all the land driving up the prices so no arkansan can now afford to buy land. some sellers won't even sell to arkansans only to northern people. best smart thing to do is remember this is a rural state.everthing south of the ark river is poverty, poverty, high crime and not generally a nice place to live. everything north of the captical is usually forest and small towns. good schools and a decient place to live. the more north you go more small mountains and very rural living. but anyone stupid enought to move to this state looking for a job forget it. unless you are illegal and don't mind working 12 to 14 hour days for below mimium wage. lived in this state all my life and like most people living here who have an ounce of intellengience were trying to leave the state. unfortunately most can't afford to leave the state or the place would be a ghost state.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Gee, Dictuss - my experience has been the polar opposite of yours - I've lived in several Arkansas towns and Little Rock, owned land, am buying land, and I'm native. Lived in Mississippi, New Orleans, and the Virgin Islands, too, and couldn't wait to get back. I'm employed. My husband is employed and indeed has changed jobs a number of times since he moved here from New Jersey...matter of fact, my entire family is employed, no one is on food stamps or working for below minimum wage. I'm most certainly not trying to leave and neither are any of my neighbors or anyone I know. Hmmm. Kinda wild, two people living in the same state and having such different experiences.

I think you have an ax to grind, but I'm not sure if it's with Arkansas or just life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement