Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps it's this seemingly pervasive attitude from all too many "immigrants" that can pose difficulties for those of us who are happy to assimilate and who, by the way, get (or is that "git") along just fine out in these here Aux Arcs.

?????????????????????

Got trouble reading ?

Who says I don't get along with the locals ?

I'm just not going to dish out $$$$$$$$$$$ to them just because they got a hammer hanging from their belt and post cards all over town advertising .......carpenter work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
?????????????????????

Got trouble reading ?

Who says I don't get along with the locals ?

I'm just not going to dish out $$$$$$$$$$$ to them just because they got a hammer hanging from their belt and post cards all over town advertising .......carpenter work.
No trouble at all. And you? Your question is insulting and I'm now a local. Is that the best you can do?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,688 times
One of the person who told me to be very carefull about hiring locals has lived here since 1972.

( a little longer than some Californian who recently moved to an upscale area of the Ozarks on a lake and pretends to be a long time local )

Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

5. Speaking about changes that happened as a result of the recession... how do I put this delicately... the local residents have become less friendly and are not always happy to see visitors from out of town. They are sometimes a little openly racist. I have had people try to run me off the road (just for laughs, I guess). When you go into a local business you can expect that Fox News will be playing, and people will want to share their political opinions. I try very strongly to avoid this, but it gets harder and harder.
I could not live in a community with this mindset.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,075 times
To the states you have mentioned, there is a Thread about Single Woman retiring; which state would be best for a single
woma, how about TN, NC, to live in a college town? Any suggestions? Was told to live six months before deciding to relocate.

Currently, living in the Olympic Peninsula, WA, think of relocating to TN, MO; dear husband and I vacationed in the
Great Smokies, feel in love with area and people, good food. Had planned to visit Hendersonville, NC, south of Asheville.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
^ Thanks for bringing in a few new states to consider. It seems like a good time for this thread to move on to some new states. I visited Henderson NC a few times when I was staying in Asheville and remember it as a sweet town that looked like a nice place to live. Somewhat artsy, as I recall, and a fantastic little theater. I wasn't looking for retirement towns at the time, though, so not really evaluating it in that way. I don't know about the low COL, though. Asheville doesn't have a low COL, so I suspect Henderson wouldn't either. Also, be sure to check into things like nearby hospitals.

I get the impression that the best place to find low COL in NC is around Hickory. However, the reason it's inexpensive is due to the hit the local economy took. There have been a few threads recently from people who retired there and did not find the local people friendly, which can happen in a town that has seen hard times. If you're interested in Hickory I'd so a search for those threads and see what they had to say.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well let me tell ya something, and I say this with a smile on my face, the day Trader Joe's decides to come to Rogers/Bentonville is the day NWA will finally really be Heaven.. Forget Yoga Spots...
Trader Joe's generally establish in liberal areas....be careful what you wish for, as liberals also follow TJ's.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
.... the reason it's inexpensive is due to the hit the local economy took. ...
I would be curious, if a region was expensive and then took a hit due to the recession, would that region be prone to being expensive once again whenever unemployment goes back down?

It is great to see regions where nearly everyone has a good job; but when everyone has money the COL goes up.

On a fixed-income pension it made sense to us to seek regions that had not seen an economic boom for decades. Long term unemployment and low COL meant that with my small pension we could fit in and have an income above the median.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would be curious, if a region was expensive and then took a hit due to the recession, would that region be prone to being expensive once again whenever unemployment goes back down?

It is great to see regions where nearly everyone has a good job; but when everyone has money the COL goes up.

On a fixed-income pension it made sense to us to seek regions that had not seen an economic boom for decades. Long term unemployment and low COL meant that with my small pension we could fit in and have an income above the median.
When cities and towns run low on money, taxes go up. The best strategy is to find an unassuming place that is not being touted for anything, that does not have an abundance of town offices and pensions to pay, and is happy with their little library with no plans to expand. Also, a town with no kids. Those danged schools and their budgets!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

An interesting point, especially for renters (rents can rise rapidly if an economy picks up). Stability seems like the thing to aim for, whether low COL or not--even if some things are a little high, in a stable economy you know what you'll be dealing with. (If you feel it's going to remain stable, of course... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement