Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't know what the answer is--maybe find a state with tax relief programs for seniors? Down where I live they have programs like that but I'm not sure how easy it is to move to a new place and get the relief program. Plus, would you really be happy moving to a new state for a reason like that?
The answer lies in politics. Even though I lean liberal for public programs like for children, I would choose a conservative place in terms of spending. But that complicates matters on other levels. I understand there are tax relief programs in some states for seniors at a certain age. I was thinking this morning how unbalanced it is for seniors – here, typically 60–65% of a town's entire budget is for the schools, and the schools are always lobbying for more (despite poor performance in general). That leaves 35% – 40% for the rest of all the town's needs. Administration and pensions take up a huge piece, and then snow removal and emergencies, fire dept, police, and libraries. I would wager that services for seniors make up 3% or less. And they're always threatening to discontinue meals on wheels and senior transport, and reduce the senior center hours. Something to think about, since seniors are getting to be a rather large segment of local populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Taxes aren't the only worry - utility increases can be substantial. The electrical in Kentucky is mainly derived from coal burning plants - the Federal government has mandated that the plants upgrade to more efficient methods of burning the coal so this means that those costs will be passed on to consumers - our eclectric costs are scheduled to increase substantially over the next 5 years - thankfully we have some of the cheapest electric rates in the nation.

Also, sometimes it is difficult to get a total picture of the overall taxes because there are local taxes - both sales and property even luxurytaxes and other areas of unknown costs. I'm finding that one of the largest increases is groceries and I know this is a national issue, but this is where rural areas might not always be the cheapest in some areas because there is little competition - the one grocery store in town has no competition or there is one Walmart (I don't think their prices are always that great)....same with gas - one station in a little town might not be all that reasonably priced although we also notice that cities (and Louisville - Jefferson County is one of them) will add a gas tax for anti-pollution additives that the rural areas do not require.

Last edited by Cattknap; 06-17-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The answer lies in politics. Even though I lean liberal for public programs like for children, I would choose a conservative place in terms of spending. But that complicates matters on other levels. I understand there are tax relief programs in some states for seniors at a certain age. I was thinking this morning how unbalanced it is for seniors – here, typically 60–65% of a town's entire budget is for the schools, and the schools are always lobbying for more (despite poor performance in general). That leaves 35% – 40% for the rest of all the town's needs. Administration and pensions take up a huge piece, and then snow removal and emergencies, fire dept, police, and libraries. I would wager that services for seniors make up 3% or less. And they're always threatening to discontinue meals on wheels and senior transport, and reduce the senior center hours. Something to think about, since seniors are getting to be a rather large segment of local populations.
I am ignorant of how much cities typically spend on their seniors. So I can not say if 3% is high or low.

I suspect that cities would tend to spend less than that.

I attend functions at a Senior Center two towns away [Orono]. What I see is a building with: a licensed kitchen, several meeting rooms, the upstairs is a clothing recycling group, and the grounds are largely devoted to community gardening.

They appear to have a lot of volunteers, so I think that they keep their costs low by using the volunteer staff [mostly seniors] to do the labor [maintenance, janitorial, administrative].

I understand that mass transit can be very expensive to operate. Orono shares a bus system with the nearby city. Though I have no idea if the buses are self-supporting. They replaced a rail-trolley that was self-supporting.

I think that a lot of senior services can be offered for less expense when the seniors volunteer to help.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I think that a lot of senior services can be offered for less expense when the seniors volunteer to help.
If I ever have to use it, I for one would not want the driver to be someone too elderly. Of course there are exceptions to driving abilities, but still...

As for senior volunteers, you are right, many are doing terrific service. Getting consistent volunteers over the winters here ("sick" season, poor driving conditions, etc) is difficult, as I found out when I was in a position to recruit.

By far, the most expensive part of a full range of senior services is building upkeep, repair, and utilities. Many New Eng;and senior centers are located in ancient buildings often former schools where fuel efficiency isn't the greatest. And at that, the hours open are very limited esp in winter.

I don't see seniors lobbying for their own needs in terms of municipal budgets. I guess we rather meekly accept whatever is offered and continue to shoulder the burden for more and more taxes on behalf of the schools. I'm not against schools (I don't think ), but I'd like to see more equity in what seniors pay in for their taxes in relation to their direct return in services.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
The answer lies in politics. Even though I lean liberal for public programs like for children, I would choose a conservative place in terms of spending.
OK, so it sounds like you're picking option C or maybe option D from the list I gave you:

C. You could choose a town based on how loudly people argue tax positions for this election--but will that attitude last? Within ten years those people may change their minds or move away or die off and their kids will be voting and have a very different attitude.

D. You could choose a town that has had a long history of never raising taxes... and after you move there the town has to raise taxes anyway due to an unforeseen emergency such as a huge lawsuit that has to be paid for.

Of course, it might work out just fine--I don't want to discourage you. And I've heard of worse reasons to choose a town to move to, that's for sure. At the same time, what about the other things you used to wish for? How much of your list will you have to sacrifice for the sake of this one goal? Don't forget to ask yourself if you really want to live in a town for the next 30 or so years.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
OK, so it sounds like you're picking option C or maybe option D from the list I gave you:

C. You could choose a town based on how loudly people argue tax positions for this election--but will that attitude last? Within ten years those people may change their minds or move away or die off and their kids will be voting and have a very different attitude.

D. You could choose a town that has had a long history of never raising taxes... and after you move there the town has to raise taxes anyway due to an unforeseen emergency such as a huge lawsuit that has to be paid for.

Of course, it might work out just fine--I don't want to discourage you. And I've heard of worse reasons to choose a town to move to, that's for sure. At the same time, what about the other things you used to wish for? How much of your list will you have to sacrifice for the sake of this one goal? Don't forget to ask yourself if you really want to live in a town for the next 30 or so years.
'Just came in from a bit of weeding, for a break...so let's see...

First, towns and municipalities set their own budgets and determine their own property taxes, so any federal or state election doesn't matter.

Second, it is not hard to find areas of the U.S. where the taxes are climbing at slower rates. (Note that I did not say - or wish for - not at all). I still have friends in the Midwest where I lived who shake their heads when I tell them my tax climbing rate (i.e., how fast they increase over time).

Third, fiscally conservative administrators always responsibly put aside money for emergencies, such as a bad snow year, just like fiscally conservative individuals do, or should. In the paper today, how my town selectmen have before them 6 million dollars in new requests for funding. I'd love to see the list. One is for a dog park, I think. I do not need a dog park, and most that I know in town do not either. (BTW, I love dogs)

And last, I've said in a number of previous posts that I am not seeking this one goal at this time. I have compenstated budget-wise (as the town should learn to do) to keep a balanced budget. So I will stay here until income does not equal outgo, without touching investments. Then it would be time to leave, and I've finally made backup plans for that.

My point is not avoiding property tax. Everyone should and must pay it. I'm talking about, for those for whom COL is a major factor in a move, looking at the town budget and all its overhead and what seniors get back for the tax load they carry. There's no way to find the perfect place, but being aware is important, if this is important to you.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
And last, I've said in a number of previous posts that I am not seeking this one goal at this time. I have compenstated budget-wise (as the town should learn to do) to keep a balanced budget. So I will stay here until income does not equal outgo, without touching investments. Then it would be time to leave, and I've finally made backup plans for that.
Yay! Glad to hear you finally decided this issue. Sorry that I missed the posts where you announced this, I was under the impression that you were still going back and forth over whether you would move to a new town because of the tax thing. At any rate, now I know and I'm so happy for you!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I don't see seniors lobbying for their own needs in terms of municipal budgets. I guess we rather meekly accept whatever is offered and continue to shoulder the burden for more and more taxes on behalf of the schools.
You might appreciate a place like The Villages in FL. Having taxes used for senior issues and not schools is one of the big advantages to living there that people talked about in the book "Leisureville."

Something to consider: programs for seniors are great (I'm a big fan of our senior center). However, programs for seniors are part of living in a town that spends money on amenities. Those fiscally conservative towns that pride themselves on not having lots of amenities won't have many programs for seniors.

Also, the seniors in your community may be more involved in local politics than you know. I know they are in my community. Just because you don't see people lobbying for senior centers doesn't mean your local seniors aren't involved in local politics. It may mean they don't think senior programs are as vital as other needs.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
I can. It's called Tornado Alley. I lived through two twisters in Missouri. I also went through the FLood of '93. It was serious business, towns went under, including a place I was going to buy along the Missouri River in Hartsburg. My kids and I helped sandbag. Nothing like the force of nature...anywhere.

A look back
Agree with your post. And of course, the 2011 Joplin tornado, a catastrophic EF5 multiple-vortex tornado that struck Joplin, Missouri, USA in the late afternoon of Sunday, May 22, 2011.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Quote:
When cities and towns run low on money, taxes go up.
And when cities and towns run low on $$, they also start doing things that some would question: turning off street lights to save $, cutting back on snow plowing in a state with plenty of snowfall, letting roads deteriorate, laying off teachers, cutting back/laying off police and firefighters, and cutting back on basic maintenance in city parks like cutting the grass. Oh, and they also raise taxes and millages on all sorts of things at the same time. A lot of cities and states around the country are trouble financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement