Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I can. It's called Tornado Alley. I lived through two twisters in Missouri. I also went through the FLood of '93. It was serious business, towns went under, including a place I was going to buy along the Missouri River in Hartsburg. My kids and I helped sandbag. Nothing like the force of nature...anywhere.

A look back
Well for all those who can tell horror stories like what you went through and like the Joplin tornado last year, there are those who can assure people, they have lived in an area for 30 years and never been near a tormando. We lived in Dallas for 13 years (btw Tornado Alley is normally considered from OK down through the Northern part of Texas, but doesn't make any difference) we only had one storm come anywhere close to us. Yes, not more than 10 miles away there were a few twisters, but it is very rare. New England can have blizzards, the south hurricanes and the west coast Earthquakes. Mother nature does not take sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've never been up to the NW part of Arkansas, but from what I hear it's got a lot more amenities than the area around HSV. So, for those people who worry that a place like HSV would be too isolated or have too few stores, NW Arkansas might be more appealing.

I know a few people from southern Cal who are moving up near Bentonville. Boy, Californians are moving everywhere, aren't they? It'll be interesting to see what effect this has, since they often bring businesses and customs with them. Before you know it Trader Joes and Yoga Spots will start popping up everywhere.
well let me tell ya something, and I say this with a smile on my face, the day Trader Joe's decides to come to Rogers/Bentonville is the day NWA will finally really be Heaven.. Forget Yoga Spots...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I somewhat share what you are saying about racism but, if anything we are seeing less of this. I think part of this has to do with Wal-Mart and the university. In the general area, even Bella Vista we see more diversity today than even 4 years ago. When we drive into Bentonville or Rogers (usually about once a wekk or so) we see new ethnic restaurants and groceries stores opeing up everywhere. Just yesterday, we stopped at a Mexican grocery store to buy jalapenos, then went to the Asian store for baby bok choy, a pecial soy sause, fish sause and Asian noodles. From there we visited the Indian market so I could pick up Cous Cous.
I'm so glad to read this. Hopefully my bad experiences in the last trip were just a matter of bad luck--and that can happen anywhere. I know when I used to visit in the 80s and 90s there were a fair number of ethnic restaurants. Some weren't very authentic, but I do recall this Thai place that was great. And after Katrina lots of refugees settled in the area and there were all kinds of cajun spots. A lot of those places closed, but hopefully when the recessions passes they'll start popping up again.

I like Bella Vista better than HSV because it's not a gated community. I never thought the gates were much of a benefit, and what's worse stores can't open in a gated community. That becomes a real problem with a campus as huge as HSV. Plus gated communities have to pay for road maintenance and that can become a real PITA when budgets are tight. I know HSV has started to make cuts here and there--mostly it's things like bus service to local events or stores, but they've also started to let staff go which can become a problem. Better to not have to pay for those roads, and have money for other things.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM

374 posts, read 812,898 times
Someone should probably mention that all of Arkansas isn't exactly Mayberry. Little Rock was ranked the 6th most dangerous city in America. And Arkansas is ranked like the 8th hottest state in the nation. If you're a Yankee, you would probably best fit-in in the NW corner, in the big Fayettville/Rogers/Springdale concrete retirement suburban slab. Hardly anyone there is originally from Arkansas, and its pretty much lost its regional identity. There is some nice scenery nearby, and plenty to do.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,688 times
Despite " singing the praises" of Cherokee Village, I am willing to admit Cherokee Village is certainly not for exeryone.

drawbacks---------isolated. Walmart is about all. It is enough for us, but certainly wouldn't be for everyone

------------------health care. The hospital closed a few years ago and I constantly hear about residents going to either Mountain Home ( 65 miles ) Batesville (50 miles ) or Jonesboro (60 miles )

For many, health care is a major concern in a retirement commu ity

----------------Vacant businesses in the area, I don't know if the economy hit that hard in Highland or the tornado of a few years ago caused owners to go too far in debt when rebuilding.

......................transportation... not being near a freeway is a drawback ( IMHO ) Amtrak station is only 45 miles away.however

Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Aren't you a recent California transplant?

Seems you forget.
Didn't forget. Ozarksboy closed the gate behind us three years ago. We moved here on purpose and don't miss anything about California except for a very few food items but that's what the Internet's for.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well let me tell ya something, and I say this with a smile on my face, the day Trader Joe's decides to come to Rogers/Bentonville is the day NWA will finally really be Heaven...
...and so will begin its Californication! You're welcome to it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
There isn't much of a downside to either Missouri or Arkansas, unless you like the ocean or beach or mountains, IMHO, that's why both states are on my list of potentials. It might be too hot or humid in the summer for some. Other than that, I can't think of much.
You are, of course, referring to the "traditional" retirement-type places. Like those pictured in the photos previously posted.

The downside, should you choose to (or be forced to) interact with the indigenous population is that you have to deal with low-minded Oz-tards who would make the cast of Deliverance look like a meeting of Rhodes scholars.

Sadly, from time to time you MUST deal with local folks (getting a roof replaced, installing fencing, appliance repair, etc.,) at which times it makes you wish that you had chosen someplace where the minimum tooth requirement was just a tad higher.

God help you if you live in a rural area where there are few or no "transplants" from elsewhere to average out the IQ into triple digits.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You are, of course, referring to the "traditional" retirement-type places. Like those pictured in the photos previously posted.

The downside, should you choose to (or be forced to) interact with the indigenous population is that you have to deal with low-minded Oz-tards who would make the cast of Deliverance look like a meeting of Rhodes scholars.

Sadly, from time to time you MUST deal with local folks (getting a roof replaced, installing fencing, appliance repair, etc.,) at which times it makes you wish that you had chosen someplace where the minimum tooth requirement was just a tad higher.

God help you if you live in a rural area where there are few or no "transplants" from elsewhere to average out the IQ into triple digits.

20yrsinBranson
Must be yur Left Coast roots talkin'. Either that or it's jist stinkin' thinkin'. We've found the locals to be very friendly, polite, helpful, welcoming and very shrewd in business but also very honest and reasonable.

I have to ask why you're here if you don't care to deal with the local folks? I also have to wonder how you come across to them to have received what appears to be less than satisfactory responses. Could it be the fact that you consider them stupid just might be apparent to them?

In my lifetime I've found that how you approach others determines how they respond to you in most cases.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Regarding contractors, as far as I know my friend's experience has been generally positive for quality of work and intelligence of the workers. He did have a complaint once with a window replacement that he said was done poorly, but it was after he had moved in the Good Sam complex, so it wasn't his responsibility to see to it that the workers did a better job.

However.... he always laughs about scheduling work around hunting season. Once hunting season begins he says all contractors disappear no matter how close they are to finishing your job. They'll come back once hunting season is over, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement