Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM

46 posts, read 103,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
NE Girl, if you collect at 62, I think the current limit is you can earn no more than $13k a year, without paying a penalty where they reduce the amount of your SS...it's something like 50 cents on the dollar for over 13K. At 65 you can earn $30K and after that any amount. I did read that you can still collect the higher amount of SS at 66, if you pay back all the money they paid you yeah...right.

Even better, the earnings limit has been increased to $14,160 for 2009, if under retirement age.
How Work Affects Your Benefits

From what I understand, when one stops working, SS recalculates the monthly SS benefit to include any SS benefit lost when working. It isn't returned in a lump sum but monthly SS benefit is increased.

Also read about returning all the SS money received and having SS recalculate a new higher monthly benefit at an older age. Requires some paperwork plus figuring out refundable taxes paid on SS benefit, if any. Read it isn't necessary to file amended tax returns but must file a special form. Some people are actually doing this.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:29 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
hi wisteria ~~
I didn't see Las Cruces on that list, but there weren't that many Southwestern places. I just know that pretty place will sell. Someone weill come along.......

nnew england ~~
I took SS the very day I was eligible. I really live on my pension, but it is nice to know that it's there & when I move, I will need a moving fund to tide me over until I get settled.

coney ~~

What a great photo. Just like Kim Novak in VERTIGO when she was in the Muir Woods with Jimmy Stewart (one of my favorite movies).

mn2co ~~

I can't wait to find out where YOU end up. Colorado is right next to NM so it would be nice if we all got together.

tesaje ~~

I can not tell you how very much you will enjoy retirement. And, once you are into it, it is as if your working life never happened. At least , that's the way it is for me.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-10-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
I have a question for any who care to respond. In reading this thread it seems that many of you are looking for someplace in a city so that you will have access to public transportation and maybe medical facilities. Would any of you choose to live in a rural area if those issues were not a factor?

I grew up in suburbia - Long Island, NY and spend most of adult working years in Oakland, CA and really wanted to live in the country and I do. I've got what I would consider the normal aches and pains an average 59 year old woman and no serious health issues so perhaps that made a difference for me. Also if it's very bad the medivac helicopter could land in my large back yard or the pasture. People do get airlifted to Roanoke fairly often here but it's usually due to a bad vehicular accident.

I'm like Tommy from CarTalk - he says "I plan to live forever. So far, so good." OK, not forever but I figure that I spent 28 years earning my pension and I want to spend twice as many years collecting it. That will take me to about 113 or so. Then I want to die in my own bed, having been shot in the back by the jealous lover of some 20 year old. (Of course the 20 yr old will be my nurse and the jealous lover will just have a bad aim.)

For me the thrill of having a bobcat sprint across the dirt road I am driving on at dusk outweighs a city bus stop just steps from my door.

One other thing - I've started writing a blog here with the story of how I wound up in Floyd and the first of what will most likely be many dog tales? tails? you choose

Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM

I'm like Tommy from CarTalk

OMG . I love Car Talk. I listen to this every single Saturday when I am doing my morning errands.

About eight years ago, such a strange thing happened: My daughter and I had just landed at Charles deGaulle
Airport and we were picked up by a taxi. I thought we might hear some Asnevour or Piaf or something romantic on the car radio just to get us in the mood . It was her first time in Paris.

Noooooo. All of a sudden, I heard that unmistakeable tune & "This is Click & Clack. The Tapper Brothers and you are listening to CAR TALK ".....
Sacre bleu !!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Then to answer your question, I also am from Long Island, but I would have to say that I am looking for a small city for the very reasons that you mentioned; transportation , shopping, health facilities and access to some kind of cultural insititutions. Nothing special and NOT a big city, but I do enjoy that kind of ambiance.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I have a question for any who care to respond. In reading this thread it seems that many of you are looking for someplace in a city so that you will have access to public transportation and maybe medical facilities. Would any of you choose to live in a rural area if those issues were not a factor?

I grew up in suburbia - Long Island, NY and spend most of adult working years in Oakland, CA and really wanted to live in the country and I do. I've got what I would consider the normal aches and pains an average 59 year old woman and no serious health issues so perhaps that made a difference for me. Also if it's very bad the medivac helicopter could land in my large back yard or the pasture. People do get airlifted to Roanoke fairly often here but it's usually due to a bad vehicular accident.

I'm like Tommy from CarTalk - he says "I plan to live forever. So far, so good." OK, not forever but I figure that I spent 28 years earning my pension and I want to spend twice as many years collecting it. That will take me to about 113 or so. Then I want to die in my own bed, having been shot in the back by the jealous lover of some 20 year old. (Of course the 20 yr old will be my nurse and the jealous lover will just have a bad aim.)

For me the thrill of having a bobcat sprint across the dirt road I am driving on at dusk outweighs a city bus stop just steps from my door.

One other thing - I've started writing a blog here with the story of how I wound up in Floyd and the first of what will most likely be many dog tales? tails? you choose
For me, I'm living out in the country now. I could stay here if I want. I might be able to actually keep up with all the chores this place really requires after I retire. I've never really been able to while working and commuting.

My concerns are that I will probably have to sell it and go to a smaller place in 10-20 years, assuming I'm not actually going to live forever and never fade. I'm afraid that it will be a lot harder to do that in my 70s or 80s than now. Also, I think that my next place will need some work on it to suit me. I would rather invest my time, energy, and funds on the house I intend to spend most of the rest of my life in while I still have a good chance of being able to do all that.

Another thing I've thought about is that this place would require just about all my time to do all the things it needs and in retirement, I want to do some other things. So I'm thinking getting a smaller place will still allow me to arrange it as I like, garden as I like and still have time left over to do a bunch of other things. I don't want to be completely tied to my property.

And maybe it is a little of been there, done that with the property in the country thing. I've enjoyed it a lot, but maybe as I reinvent myself, I no longer want all this.

What I will miss and have to get used to again is having other people living much closer to me than they do now. Excessive noise will bother me. I'm hoping that I can find a nice quiet street with nice neighbors that are not really obnoxious.

I think for me, the lack of medical care and dependency on a car are the least of it. Tho having other options beside the car will be a nice thing.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

I would rather invest my time, energy, and funds on the house I intend to spend most of the rest of my life in while I still have a good chance of being able to do all that.

That's how I feel , tesaje. I just believe that I have a small window of opportunity so far as time goes and that if I miss it, I will be just too old to move and to get a new place the way I would like it and I don't want to settle.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Dear Zugor,

Interesting point of view...
Those of us without an adequate pension see the benefits of living right in town....we may have to give up our car for financial reasons. And some of us just want everything to be close by to avoid having to drive a lot.

Where in Floyd County are you? I have considered the town of Salem as a place to move to, have been there three times checking it out and talked with the librarian in town. Nice town, close to the city. What do you think of the area? What's the economic situation in Roanoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

205 posts, read 397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I might have continued to work longer except for three reasons (1) I injured my knees and they hurt (2) I was "eligible" for the employer pension (3) The employer made my working environment HELL cuz (as a long-time high-earning employee) they wanted me to leave and save the $$$. After 18 years of service to the employer, I gave a month notice, said "no party" and was outta there

So, Wisteria.... I totally agree with all your reasons for wanting OUT ! If you're eligible for that pension, small as it might be..... you know what is right for you

Then 2 years later, at age 62, I took my SS $$ and never regretted the decision to retire! MOVED out West , yadda-yadda-yadda.....
I, too, "retired" at age 60. Was an involuntary retirement, was looking for another job (at age 60!!??) when my mother became ill. I moved her in with me and taking care of her became my "job." As you all know by now she passed away last year at age 90. I turned 62 in December and took my SS. After doing the math, it made no sense at all to wait until 66. It does take years to make up the difference. I work part time at a little (non chain) art/gift boutique and love it!! If I decide I want time off to travel, I just say don't put me on the schedule. With the economy down sales are slow. With the two owners and three other part-timers (we are all retired) there is always someone to take up the slack. I was shocked, angry and depressed when my job was eliminated but things have a way of working out. Now realize I was the lucky one and don't have to deal with the political BS and games. Sometimes life comes along and makes decisions for you that you are too scared/complacent to make on your own.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
I, too, "retired" at age 60. Was an involuntary retirement, was looking for another job (at age 60!!??) when my mother became ill. I moved her in with me and taking care of her became my "job." As you all know by now she passed away last year at age 90. I turned 62 in December and took my SS. After doing the math, it made no sense at all to wait until 66. It does take years to make up the difference. I work part time at a little (non chain) art/gift boutique and love it!! If I decide I want time off to travel, I just say don't put me on the schedule. With the economy down sales are slow. With the two owners and three other part-timers (we are all retired) there is always someone to take up the slack. I was shocked, angry and depressed when my job was eliminated but things have a way of working out. Now realize I was the lucky one and don't have to deal with the political BS and games. Sometimes life comes along and makes decisions for you that you are too scared/complacent to make on your own.
Karcon, we have very similar circumstances, exactly the same thing happened w my job, and also taking care of my mom who passed away last June at almost 92. I'm grieving from losing her and for the loss of my profession (both within 6 weeks) but not for the workplace, it was insane.... I'm not old enough for SS (another 18 mo.) so I'm living on freelance work and savings. What's hardest is trying to figure out how I'm going to survive over possibly, if I'm lucky, the next 20 yrs. Once I hit 80, my kids or my homeland will have to figure out what to do with me. As to where will I go and why, I am still looking! I've narrowed down my areas, though. The house goes on the mkt again July 6. I may choose not to have a for-sale sign in front. It is too depressing to me to come home to see it every day, and in truth it's not likely that someone in my own n'hood will buy it...or am I being silly?

Last edited by RiverBird; 06-11-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement