Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM

230 posts, read 408,919 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were just discussing this. A new family with two bicycle age screaming kids just moved in next door. We don't want senior housing, but we're past the point where we don't mind them riding furious down the sidewalk (downhill) past our house screaming at the top of their lungs.....I don't want a 55 plus neighborhood, or a coop either LOL, but I sure would like less screaming. I never thought I'd sound as old as I do right now!

It's always something, right?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
My husband and I were just discussing this. A new family with two bicycle age screaming kids just moved in next door. We don't want senior housing, but we're past the point where we don't mind them riding furious down the sidewalk (downhill) past our house screaming at the top of their lungs.....I don't want a 55 plus neighborhood, or a coop either LOL, but I sure would like less screaming. I never thought I'd sound as old as I do right now!

It's always something, right?
Don't rule out 55+ communities. Some of them, like the one I live in, are surrounded by communities where there are no age restrictions, so you get to see kids and younger adults all the time. But then it's only a few minutes drive to peace.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM

230 posts, read 408,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Don't rule out 55+ communities. Some of them, like the one I live in, are surrounded by communities where there are no age restrictions, so you get to see kids and younger adults all the time. But then it's only a few minutes drive to peace.
okay... but I'm only 50! I will keep that in mind...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Hi ! Has anyone lived in one of those Intentional Communities??? www.ic.org I looked at the directory and they seem to be coming up all over.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Hi ! Has anyone lived in one of those Intentional Communities??? www.ic.org I looked at the directory and they seem to be coming up all over.
I have looked into more than a few. It can be costly, as many homes/units are pricey and you pay full property taxes plus other like water and sewer, plus a monthly fee just like you would in a regular condo. Also, the ones at least around here do a detailed check on you to make sure you are the type of person they want. They may not want you if, say, you have ever been arrested, or have a relative in jail, or do not meet their financial profile, or are likely in any way to be too different from what they consider their ideal resident. That said, I think it's worth looking into. Some folks intentionally move very close, but not into, the community, so they can participate as a guest in the community before living in it.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
Is anyone aware of any cooperative living initiatives going on in Maine?

This may sound a bit weird, but as I think about planning for retirement I find myself wishing for an opportunity to share the experience with others in more concrete ways. Let me explain - I've always been single and have lived alone most of my adult life. Although I like having the freedom to live and do as I like I often find myself yearning toward more sharing daily life with some one or a group of someones. I'm not talking necessarily about a "significant other" relationship as much as a more communal living arrangement in which the cost, decisions and activities of daily living are shared more directly with others. Having been alone most of my life I am not eager to grow old alone also. I am thinking of this not from the "someone to take care of me" perspective. I am more interested in the "sharing experiences of daily life" perspective.

Anyone else have similar thoughts? Any ideas about how to pursue such an arrangement?
Not weird thinking at all - I have pondered this again and again, sometimes being reduced to thinking I am way too utopian in my thinking.

For me, I love the idea of little cottages in proximity with an "interdependence" factor - privacy and independence along with that "being there" for each other in whatever capacity that entails. Not the continuem of care communities one sees that are stair steps to essentially nursing homes but community/being a good neighbor, cohort, friend. I've sketched ideas for connected homes that could reduce costs with shared land, walls, etc but it seems just a dream. As I've moved a great deal, I've learned that in regard to space, I want very little - it's more the feel of something that I desire. The essence of place....a cozy little spot with lots of light and access to the outside.....trees....greenery.....water....nice people.....ok, utopia is seeping in...............................

What I've observed on most of the communities I have read on is:

the cost is high - many of us cannot handle 200 thousand plus and a community fee monthly (like a condo) on top of that. I haven't seen anything off hand that involved less than 100K. Not sure I've seen anything less than 200K.

there is often a need for "group think" (a commitment to a particular ideology or mind set or way of eating or whatever) which is not to say that is totally bad - values are great - like-mindedness is wonderful - but I don't fit into any particular mindset 100% and likely am too laid back in a lot of areas to not **** someone off by it.

location - to keep costs down, some places are set in areas where I wouldn't want to live, whether in a group or solo. I want walkability, a sense of place in the area itself, view sheds, proximity to the world.

This is a top of the head, uncoffee-d, likely too little sleep and " too much on my mind for the demands of the day" answer. I probably wouldn't want to share housing with myself this morning. LOL....but i might like to be my next-door neighbor. Mr Rodgers....where are you?????

Last edited by mzfroggez; 07-29-2011 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: innovative spelling.....wow i also got censured...and the word censured is actually in the KJV of the bible...go figure...

Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have looked into more than a few. It can be costly, as many homes/units are pricey and you pay full property taxes plus other like water and sewer, plus a monthly fee just like you would in a regular condo. Also, the ones at least around here do a detailed check on you to make sure you are the type of person they want. They may not want you if, say, you have ever been arrested, or have a relative in jail, or do not meet their financial profile, or are likely in any way to be too different from what they consider their ideal resident. That said, I think it's worth looking into. Some folks intentionally move very close, but not into, the community, so they can participate as a guest in the community before living in it.
LOL! New England Girl and I were both simultaneously typing the same response..................has to be a cosmic thing......any other realistic utopians out there

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I have looked in the "communal groups" also and thought it was expensive too. Actually, I was a bit surprised. Totally agree with mzfroggez and NEcoming home.. I have very similar thoughts, ideas, dreams but not sure if any of it is possible.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post

What I've observed on most of the communities I have read on is:

the cost is high - many of us cannot handle 200 thousand plus and a community fee monthly (like a condo) on top of that. I haven't seen anything off hand that involved less than 100K. Not sure I've seen anything less than 200K.
I found a place in Ithaca, White Hawk, that was well under 200k. My friends who had spent time in Ithaca were all horrified at the idea of a retiree moving to that climate, so I gave up on it.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I found a place in Ithaca, White Hawk, that was well under 200k. My friends who had spent time in Ithaca were all horrified at the idea of a retiree moving to that climate, so I gave up on it.
Ithaca is actually a preferred place to live in the Northeast. Cold winters are cold anywhere up here, Ithaca being about the same as other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.