Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 AM

407 posts, read 1,559,028 times

Advertisements

I don't FEEL old... but a new guy came into the office and in the course of introductions, I was amazed he was from my home town (this being in a country far, FAR away...). Then I found out his mother was in my graduating class... it does give you pause...

But, I'm not really old... they are just hiring younger and younger people nowadays!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I don't FEEL old... but a new guy came into the office and in the course of introductions, I was amazed he was from my home town (this being in a country far, FAR away...). Then I found out his mother was in my graduating class... it does give you pause...

But, I'm not really old... they are just hiring younger and younger people nowadays!!!
At work I card people all day long for alcohol and cig sales. Rarely does anyone get offended but I just tell them the older I get the younger they look...deal with it. lol I run into grandkids of my childhood friends and that's a kicker too.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
The mirror is my enemy, I think......thanks to all of you for your input. Live long and happy.
Don't you just hate those things? lol I HAVE to look in it or I'd go to work looking like a bedraggled rat BUT I can ignore it the rest of the time. I'm just kidding, really, but maybe it'll still come to that. I'm already wondering just who that woman is and why she's not helping out around here if she lives here.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Don't you just hate those things? lol I HAVE to look in it or I'd go to work looking like a bedraggled rat BUT I can ignore it the rest of the time. I'm just kidding, really, but maybe it'll still come to that. I'm already wondering just who that woman is and why she's not helping out around here if she lives here.
LOL! And don't you wonder why you keep her picture around if you don't even know who she is?!?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
THere was no defining moment really. At ages 50 thru 60 I started seeing gradual difference in doing physical things and the after math. Between say 60 and present age 67 its stayed pretty much the same really. I see others who have suffered sudden disease or injuries either new or old injuries suddenly change there abilities.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL! And don't you wonder why you keep her picture around if you don't even know who she is?!?
True! Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...". lol I keep wondering if my Grandma has moved in. If she has she better start cooking! lol

Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
THere was no defining moment really. At ages 50 thru 60 I started seeing gradual difference in doing physical things and the after math. Between say 60 and present age 67 its stayed pretty much the same really. I see others who have suffered sudden disease or injuries either new or old injuries suddenly change there abilities.
Maybe it's the nature of my job, and because I HAVE to do some things, that I've managed to stay in somewhat good shape. So many times I have to drag stuff off the bottom of a shopping basket so I can scan it...big heavy things...then put it back and get back up! I'm sometimes surprised that I can even still do that without moaning and groaning. lol I don't jump up quite as fast as I used to but not slow either. I have always had an abundance of energy and if I slow down it won't hurt because maybe then I'd be normal!

Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Dave Barry (humor writer in his mid-60's) wrote:

Almost half of the people over 40 believe they look younger than they are. This says something important about older Americans: we have terrible eyesight.

Robyn

Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I had medial meniscus repair about 10 years ago - and had a flareup of my osteoarthritis and needed to see the sports medicine doc who did my surgery as I thought I had injured it again last week..... I had seen him 3 years ago for another flareup.

I tried to schedule an appointment - but "he doesn't take patients over 55 anymore".

WUT?

Doesn't do knee replacement - hasn't in years. I was referred to another colleague.

The PC answer would have been - he hasn't done the surgery in 10 years therefore he cannot see you if you are a candidate.

Don't make me feel old - on YOUR account.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default It's all relative.

Right now I have a fifth grader and a seventh grader both named Ben in the same enrichment summer school class. I call one of them young Ben and the other old Ben. I am 70.

Three or four years ago I had hernia surgery. My surgeon looked like a teenager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement