Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times

Advertisements

Are people posting details of tonight's episode already? I was out with friends tonight, and didn't have a chance to watch the show yet. (It's 10:00 PM...and the show only just aired at 8:00 PM.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was wishing maybe the female couple would take the unwanted child and solve all the problems. But I guess that woman wants her own biological baby.
I am trying to like Kate but to me she seems mousy (Celia's words) and self centered about wanting a baby right off the bat (she's 42, no spring chicken) before even living with Caroline or committing to a marriage with her. Caroline, for all her academic smarts, doesn't seem all that bright herself, kind of spacey.

Celia is shockingly insensitive, not too bright herself.

The only one in the cast of characters with a real conscience appears to be Alan. He seems thoughtful, reasonable, and fair. He must be a Libra.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I started to dislike Celia for a little while tonight after she blabbed her mouth off and caused that trouble. Then the way she was pushing for them to buy a house together and not seeming to care what he wanted.
She came across like an over privileged spoiled bossy know it all. Then, after she apologized again and again, I started to forgive her.

It seems to be his daughter who is really the messed up one but she is also a strong, caring, and brave one. But she got pregnant at 15 and had an abortion? Then they said her mother used to say she hung out with all the wrong characters? Then she either killed her husband or just allowed him to die? What is wrong with her? She's the one who is so offended about the parents going off to live in Harrogate, although it's true, she took care of her dad and will worry about him now. But she's got to learn to let go and to be a more sensible person, for once. Now she's getting involved with that jerk, John. He seems to be an opportunist but maybe he does care for her. She's stuck with the baby too--I wish Kate would accept the baby and solve that problem.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am trying to like Kate but to me she seems mousy (Celia's words) and self centered about wanting a baby right off the bat (she's 42, no spring chicken) before even living with Caroline or committing to a marriage with her. Caroline, for all her academic smarts, doesn't seem all that bright herself, kind of spacey.

Celia is shockingly insensitive, not too bright herself.

The only one in the cast of characters with a real conscience appears to be Alan. He seems thoughtful, reasonable, and fair. He must be a Libra.

i don't like many of the characters, although i like the series. it is a typically well acted british drama with a lot of character development and interaction.

celia has an imperious manner as does her daughter, although caroline sees the need to be somewhat more discreet about voicing her opinions. i don't think she knows what she wants at this point, except that she doesn't want john. i think her relationship with kate is experimental, on her part, although she may not acknowledge this yet, and she has no interest in having a child with kate or anyone. however, i think she is reluctant to voice her true opinions to kate, as she does not want to lose her. the kate/caroline relationship is very new and very unstable at present; certainly they are not at a place to consider making any major changes in their lives as yet.

as far as celia and alan, i feel he views her as he did many years ago- not very realistically- and neither really knows the other very well. rather, they are "in love" with the image they had of each other in their youth and the opportunity for a second chance. i don't feel either one thought about the impact of their family "baggage" on their relationship, and i feel their perceived obligations to children, grandchildren will put a continued strain on their marriage.

certainly there are many dramatic possibilities for all the characters. however, if alan continues to immerse himself in the jillian/raff/unnamed great grandchild etc. chaos, another heart attack is inevitable.

catsy girl

Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i don't like many of the characters, although i like the series. it is a typically well acted british drama with a lot of character development and interaction.

celia has an imperious manner as does her daughter, although caroline sees the need to be somewhat more discreet about voicing her opinions. i don't think she knows what she wants at this point, except that she doesn't want john. i think her relationship with kate is experimental, on her part, although she may not acknowledge this yet, and she has no interest in having a child with kate or anyone. however, i think she is reluctant to voice her true opinions to kate, as she does not want to lose her. the kate/caroline relationship is very new and very unstable at present; certainly they are not at a place to consider making any major changes in their lives as yet.

as far as celia and alan, i feel he views her as he did many years ago- not very realistically- and neither really knows the other very well. rather, they are "in love" with the image they had of each other in their youth and the opportunity for a second chance. i don't feel either one thought about the impact of their family "baggage" on their relationship, and i feel their perceived obligations to children, grandchildren will put a continued strain on their marriage.

certainly there are many dramatic possibilities for all the characters. however, if alan continues to immerse himself in the jillian/raff/unnamed great grandchild etc. chaos, another heart attack is inevitable.

catsy girl
So well perceived! I think you're spot on, on all. And the interesting part is that these characters are all indeed significantly flawed in some way, like we are in our real lives. I have to say the script writers are doing a fine job of developing the complex plot and consistency of characters. And few can fault the acting.

Do you think Caroline and Kate are going to stick it out?

Cannot believe Gillian is so needy she's allowing John back in.

I rather like Alan.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So well perceived! I think you're spot on, on all. And the interesting part is that these characters are all indeed significantly flawed in some way, like we are in our real lives. I have to say the script writers are doing a fine job of developing the complex plot and consistency of characters. And few can fault the acting.

Do you think Caroline and Kate are going to stick it out?

Cannot believe Gillian is so needy she's allowing John back in.

I rather like Alan.

i like alan also. he has warmth which celia really does not.

i think that kate has been dealing with sexual identity issues for a time now, whereas caroline is embracing it as a new and different, perhaps exciting alternative. i think she has the power to hurt kate a great deal, and i think she will, when and if she is honest with her about having a child and raising a family together. i think there is a part of kate that feels caroline may not be real in her feelings although she is desperately hoping that this is not so. kate seems to be a person who has been hurt in the past, and there is a fragility about her which i don't see in caroline. i think they will have to become very honest with each other if their relationship has a chance of survival. at this point, i don't think either is ready to put everything on the table; so i feel they will continue to dance around each other, denying some basic truths.

i don't know what to think about gillian. from the time she was a young girl it seems there has been one man or another to whom she has attached herself . i don't think she knows how to function without that male presence, and will attach herself to anybody even if they are totally inappropriate and as needy as she is. her father has filled in the gaps and is the bottom line insulation for her when the men in her life inevitably fail her. seeing her father's allegiance now turning to celia has to be frightening for her, and i think it accelerates her poor choices.

really interesting drama-

catsy girl

Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Wow. A 3 month jump in TV time.
Celia was a real pill with her sister. She acted like a disgruntled teenager.
I thought it was great how 'wedding planners' Gillian and Caroline got the giggles at the hotel/bed & breakfast place. It gave me the giggles.
And then it got sooooo serious.

And where did Lawrence the son run away to?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Wow. A 3 month jump in TV time.
Celia was a real pill with her sister. She acted like a disgruntled teenager.
I thought it was great how 'wedding planners' Gillian and Caroline got the giggles at the hotel/bed & breakfast place. It gave me the giggles.
And then it got sooooo serious.

And where did Lawrence the son run away to?
I got a little bit confused watching it last night. I think I was doing something else when the son was leaving and I just looked up and he was ready to go. So I have no idea either.

Celia and her sister. Celia was dating this Frank? I got mixed up on that. Then the sister married him?
He's dead now.

So what's so bad about the sister? At first I thought maybe she was critical or trying to keep up with the Joneses--there did seem to be a little bit of that when she was asking Alan about his daughter. She did seem stuck up that his daughter only has a farm. A simple sheep farm. Swaledale sheep. oh dear. But maybe she was just surprised. Then Celia says the problem with her is that it always has to be "about her." I didn't really see that in the meetup they had. Maybe it's just meant to poke fun at sibling rivalry where we tend to make a big deal out of what seems like nothing to outsiders.

It looks like their friend is going to live on a canal barge. That makes sense in a way seeing that when someone close to you dies, you want to get on with your bucket list and do the things you always wanted to do. They seemed to understand after he explained.

And Robbie (?)--did he run off with someone else and now Gillian has no one? Then she confessed that she murdered her ex? Did she really murder him? Before, I thought he was trying to kill himself and she just let him instead of calling emergency. She seemed to say last night that he was physically abusive to her too. So she feels guilty because he was Robbie's only family and Robbie has no one left. If he wanted to die and he was also physically abusive, I think I'd be over it. I wish someone would tell her that it was okay and she is not a bad person for it.

It feels like this show is sending feelers out in all directions. It feels scattered. I need to have some loose ends tied up and some explaining done.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
I think I was doing something else when the son was leaving and I just looked up and he was ready to go.
Spoiler
That was the son William, going to Oxford. Lawrence was the one sitting in Judith and John's apartment (and they left him there - then they came home and John was calling Lawrence? Lawrence?)

Quote:
Celia was dating this Frank? I got mixed up on that. Then the sister married him?
Spoiler
According to when Caroline told Gillian anyway, LOL. We haven't heard Celia's rant about it yet. Or Muriel's side of it.
Quote:
And Robbie (?)--did he run off with someone else
Spoiler
Remember, 3 months has passed since the last episode. Now he's dating another copper? Ghods, I don't want a copper like her trying to protect!

Quote:
Then she confessed that she murdered her ex? Did she really murder him?
Spoiler
We've heard several versions of how he died, and it gets worse and worse. First time it was mentioned that she was abused though.

The friend (Harry) on the barge - cracked me up how Celia wouldn't let Alan set foot on the thing. Like she was afraid it would sink

(Used the show/hide so nobody gets mad at me )

Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i like alan also. he has warmth which celia really does not.

i think that kate has been dealing with sexual identity issues for a time now, whereas caroline is embracing it as a new and different, perhaps exciting alternative. i think she has the power to hurt kate a great deal, and i think she will, when and if she is honest with her about having a child and raising a family together. i think there is a part of kate that feels caroline may not be real in her feelings although she is desperately hoping that this is not so. kate seems to be a person who has been hurt in the past, and there is a fragility about her which i don't see in caroline. i think they will have to become very honest with each other if their relationship has a chance of survival. at this point, i don't think either is ready to put everything on the table; so i feel they will continue to dance around each other, denying some basic truths.

i don't know what to think about gillian. from the time she was a young girl it seems there has been one man or another to whom she has attached herself . i don't think she knows how to function without that male presence, and will attach herself to anybody even if they are totally inappropriate and as needy as she is. her father has filled in the gaps and is the bottom line insulation for her when the men in her life inevitably fail her. seeing her father's allegiance now turning to celia has to be frightening for her, and i think it accelerates her poor choices.

really interesting drama-

catsy girl

Must be because you're a writer that you get into the characters so well. The only thing I might add about fragile Kate is that she seems really self-centered, foisting a new baby (and getting pregnant through an old boyfriend!!!) onto an iffy relationship with Caroline that hasn't even got off the ground. Sometimes I feel like swatting her. I think I like her least of the entire cast.

To me Gillian is more complex. I forget when her mother died, but maybe when she was young and didn't have a mother figure to guide her. This thing about killing her husband seems over the top. She seems to be avoiding the pain of her past by working really hard on the farm. I have doubts about how someone making so little money at her job can keep a farm going; that seems a weak link in the story logistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement