Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 01:14 PM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's certainly the drunk's fault that he gets drunk, has anger issues, has not worked a day in years, unpredictably goes on drunken rages, engages in domestic violence and creates an environment where everyone tries to avoid him as much as possible.

It's not my fault I was raised by drunks and druggies, and have issues dealing with angry drunks.
nothing is your fault , you see everything as someone else destroying your life.

the answer is it is all your fault for letting yourself get in the situation you are.

you didn't find away , you were the one who found the excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Jobs were regionally scarce when I graduated, Upon graduation, I lost my on-campus janitor job and literally could not afford to relocate.to an area with jobs.
Is your second screen name Loveswater_outdoors?

Old 04-19-2015, 01:31 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nothing is your fault , you see everything as someone else destroying your life.

the answer is it is all your fault for letting yourself get in the situation you are.

you didn't find away , you were the one who found the excuse.
freemkt. I think people are trying to tell you something and you just refuse to listen. Yes, life sometimes knocks us on our butt, but we have to get up and figure a way out. If you spent more time thinking about how to get out of your messes and doing something about it instead of blaming the government or whoever for all your misfortune, you might be able to get out of the hole. You know, learn to make lemonade out of lemons. Act, not react. That is meant to be good advice to help, not to hurt.

Also regarding your comment on their being only a cut off for medicaid. This is simply not true. There is a cut off for senior housing assistance as well, and this can be a very big banana when utilities , cable and internet are included. Also their is a cut off for Snap, though your allowance lessens as you approach the cut off number.

Last edited by modhatter; 04-19-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times
Jail is not as bad as you think. Refer to first post.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Jobs were regionally scarce when I graduated, Upon graduation, I lost my on-campus janitor job and literally could not afford to relocate.to an area with jobs.
Why didn't you? Others did/have. And if your story is true this was in the late 70s, not the best of times but not nearly as bad as it has been for some the last few years.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-19-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 03:49 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I think what everyone is missing is that those of us under 40, and really under 30 are not going to have much if any assistance when we turn 65. The SS will be depleted due to it being bankrupted in 2033. The baby boomers are going to consume it all, and there will be nothing left.
You should read how SS has & ALWAYS was funded. It was insurance for the retired generation paid for by the current working generation. The current boomers have paid in more to SS than any generation to date because of higher limits, higher earnings, and higher number of contributors. In the long run, once all the boomers retired, there will theoretically be such a huge labor shortage, everyones wages should climb dramatically just because of the demands of all that retirement money being spent. Generations before the boomers typically got out of SS as much as 6 times what they paid in. Boomers will barely break even. The problem is either underfunding based on current payments or too much waste because of payments to the undeserving because of loopholes.

For instance, I was married as a young man for 10 years to a lazy, winey, spendthrift that almost bankrupt me. No kids, she literally contributed negatively to my life financially, emotionally, career wise, and spiritually. I started trying to divorce her after 8 years of hollow promises manipulation but her lawyer and her were able to constantly delay until we were legally married for 10 years and 1 week. My current wonderful DW,Nis a hard working, wonderful woman that helped me rebuild my life and helped me become the success I am. Guess what? Ex- bi+<!face is entitled to the exact same survivor benefits on MY FRA that she had NOTHING to do with, as my DW!! In fact, because EX is a lazy leach she lived with her mother the rest of her life, never remarried, and at 62 can collect a benefit when I start to retire, based on my earnings, because she had none to speak of, that is about equal to what DW will get because she worked all her life!!! So for doing nothing except marrying the right guy early in life she collects the same as DW who's been with me for 20 years. Thats not right, but its the law. If it was right, EX would only collect on a percentage of the earnings attributed to my FRA when we were married.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I think what everyone is missing is that those of us under 40, and really under 30 are not going to have much if any assistance when we turn 65. The SS will be depleted due to it being bankrupted in 2033 as has been shown by several economists Why is Social Security running out of money?, and I for one haven't been able to save due to student loan costs and scarcity of jobs combined with low wages and inflation and cost of living being out of control. The baby boomers are going to consume it all, and there will be nothing left.
It's more than Social Security. Most Boomers do not have the financial resources to pay for assistance when they no longer can care for themselves. More specifically, not only are low income Boomers counting on Medical Assistance (a welfare program) to meet their long term care needs, but the middle and higher income Boomers are counting on that assistance as well.

I advised my children, who would agree with your opinion, to become self employed in order to reduce their FICA contributions to the bare minimum. This may work for you, as well.

Your generation already gave up several years of Social Security benefits when the full retirement age was raised from 65 to 67. IMO, raising the full retirement age to 69 and/or increasing FICA contributions across the board to fully cover the retirement costs of the largest generation in history is sheer madness.

I anticipate (wishful thinking?) that your generation will receive some sort of student debt relief. But it's going to require a bit of political arm twisting to achieve this. Time to organize.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
It may not be fair to you, Perry, but for many it is. It would be hard to pick out the ones that don't deserve it.

And as for freemkt, I was once in a predicament where I ran out of savings and couldn't move. Thankfully my family came to the rescue and sent bus fare. Without them I don't know what I would have done.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I would not trade places with Dave. Doesn't sound like living, it sounds like waiting to die. What if Dave lives 25 more years?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:37 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I would not trade places with Dave. Doesn't sound like living, it sounds like waiting to die. What if Dave lives 25 more years?
25 to life! No early parole for good behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement