Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 12:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I wanted urban and ethnic. And I got it! I live in a cul-de-sac with 8 houses. We have old, young, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and a couple from Germany. Most everything I need is walkable and it's a fun area. Last spring I taught the kids next door how to play hopscotch and they have been playing all summer.

I have lived in homogeneous areas. Like Utah! And areas so rural that all my neighbors were armadillos. A trip to the grocery store was a half day excursion. Then there was the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I lived all over for work and not in places I would have picked. But I was able to find things to enjoy everywhere I went.

Las Vegas is the first place I actually chose. It's like a miniature world here. People from everywhere. I can go to the Russian deli to get amazing chocolates and fresh roasted Armenian coffee. There is a local Ethiopian store that makes fresh injeera every day. There is a Caribbean grocery I can walk to. And I now have 2 Starbucks in walking distance. I am going to ride my bike down to the library in a little while because I lost my card. Life is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I wanted urban and ethnic. And I got it! I live in a cul-de-sac with 8 houses. We have old, young, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, and a couple from Germany. Most everything I need is walkable and it's a fun area. Last spring I taught the kids next door how to play hopscotch and they have been playing all summer.

I have lived in homogeneous areas. Like Utah! And areas so rural that all my neighbors were armadillos. A trip to the grocery store was a half day excursion. Then there was the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I lived all over for work and not in places I would have picked. But I was able to find things to enjoy everywhere I went.

Las Vegas is the first place I actually chose. It's like a miniature world here. People from everywhere. I can go to the Russian deli to get amazing chocolates and fresh roasted Armenian coffee. There is a local Ethiopian store that makes fresh injeera every day. There is a Caribbean grocery I can walk to. And I now have 2 Starbucks in walking distance. I am going to ride my bike down to the library in a little while because I lost my card. Life is good!
I want to live in your neighborhood

Old 08-29-2016, 01:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I'd get bored with biscuits and gravy after about one week.

I want my Hot Pot, Afghan Bread, Pad Boong, and Lamb Vindaloo ... among other specialties.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I think that right now, it's an economic thing and a generational thing.

Historically in this country, minorities and newer ethnic groups never had the economic clout to move into retirement communities, since many of them are expensive. This is changing, but slowly.

Generationaly, this will not be an issue for our kids and their kids. Young people today who are lucky enough to have diversity in their neighborhoods and schools grow up among kids who are not all alike. They have African American friends, white friends, Aisan friends, gay friends, multi-racial friends and don't see what the big deal is.

As the old timers and their ways die out and minorities who have historically been held down progress economically, things will change and retirement communities will start to look like the rest of the country.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I find it interesting that no one questions whether its OK for Asian people, black people or hispanic people to live in communities where their nationality is the dominant one, but let white people all live together and right away, liberals have a problem?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
It's only a problem if people are being excluded because of race or ethnicity. I could go either way; it wouldn't be an item on my list, though even liberals are uncomfortable living in an area where they are treated like outsiders. IMO, that's why traditionally ethnic areas tend to stay that way.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's not really a matter of progress. Caucasians are simply much more likely pack up and move to a retirement community. Others are much more likely to remain in their own communities, even if they have the means to move. Their comfort zone is with their community, and not with a bunch of Caucasians thousands of miles from their home.
Trust me - "Caucasians" from where I live now and where I grew up - could not be more different.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Diversity is the least of my concerns in where I retire.

That being said I don't yet want to live in an over 55 community that is all retired people. So, I live in a normal community.

Its mostly white although my next door neighbors are Jamacian.

I don't care, its just not a factor to me. If you can afford to live in this neighborhood and aren't bringing the property values down, I don't care what race or nationality you are.

I find people who "seek" out diversity to be phony for the most part. Like they have something to prove. Invariably they are white. Rarely do you see black people or Asian people "seeking diviversity"

Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Diverse. The last time I was in the Upper Valley of NH I had a moment when I felt like I was in a scene from "Children of the Corn". I found it quite unsettling.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:57 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
I'm not concerned about diversity. I'm concerned with local crime. If it's a low crime area I don't care how much or how little diversity there is.
I agree that people who go out of their way to "seek" diversity are usually white people who think they have something to prove.
Give me a low crime area any day of the week even if it has zero diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement