Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,638,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
But what about answering questions? Is it bragging if someone asks me how I was able to retire at 51 and I say "pensions, saving, and careful spending". And then I get the sneering "Oh right, PENSIONS!" As if that's some kind of scam or something. I'm very proud to have worked 25 years for a great district, and I earned my pension, and so did my husband. We worked hard for the public and were paid less than we were worth in order to get those benefits. Because of political spending and state budget problems, DH (and other state workers) didn't get scheduled COLAS for almost 10 years. They also ignore the second half of my statement about saving and careful spending. I don't ever offer up financial information unless someone asks. When they do I'm honest and I do get the "Must be nice" comments, but I just reply that yes, it's great.
Your attitude sounds more like celebrating an accomplishment vs the "IN YOUR FACE!!" style comments the more braggy types tend to make.

Honestly though, what's pride to one person is braggy to another. It's like the definition of "one minute" depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on. That's why I said it's a fine line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It was a joke. Read the "Bad" like it is 2 separate sentences... No it is not discouraged. I think that people can say they feel good about how they are doing in a way that is less likely to make others feel like they are bragging. I don't think they have to, but some people don't like offending others. I certainly don't make the rules and if I did they wouldn't be enforced. The main issue is people need to lighten up IMO.
Baa Bing! With a thought directly related to the meat of the OP, my research on later year living options is initially showing a distinct financial segregation with seniors in their late 70's and on. As you have noted in previous related posts income extremes can be problematic. I am noticing that one industry is developing targeting upper middle class and up older folks with varying levels up to the wealthy. Marketing appears to have a definite exclusivity angle and even the neighborhoods facilities are located in are not often economically diverse and that is noted in marketing. There is a new approach in CCRCs with no buy in but a pay as you go approach with the option to rent or own while living independently. You are guaranteed admission to their higher service programs which are on a fee basis. They come with lots of amenities at a cost and you can be taken care of for life if you have a certain monthly income preferably fixed. That is taken care of in style and within the reach of many pensioners especially from the coastal enclaves. Could be tricky in the out years for a couple if the decline differently but for a widow or widower ideal.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM

720 posts, read 766,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
You are lazy. That is a fact. But hey if being a non-productive member of society makes you happy go ahead.
Is this a frenemy of yours.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM

19,838 posts, read 9,407,961 times
Just want to bring another point of view to this discussion.

I am 62 and have been retired for five years. I worked for about 20 years in a career-type jobs and then adopted two "behaviorally and emotionally challenged" kids and worked part-time in low-paying jobs as soon as both were in school full-time. When the last business I worked for went out of business in 2010, and the economy was still so bad, I decided, with the full support and approval of my husband, that since he was making more than enough money to support us, that I would quit the workforce rather than go back to work and take a job from a younger person who actually needed it.

I tried volunteering, but hated it (for various reasons), and so now I am a "lady of leisure" but definitely not bragging about it. I would love to have a worthwhile and challenging job again, but I feel it would be selfish of me if I did that, so here I am, stuck at home, and feeling guilty that I have it so easy when others have it so rough.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,920,044 times
I'm not reading 17 pages of threads but some of the issues come from those that have public employee pensions. This does not relate to the OP's situation I don't think but....
Some of them...SOME...are just crazy. Teachers, firemen, police, garbage collectors that retire at 40 and get six figure retirements and other benifits. When you mention that, you might be talking to a taxpayer that knows his crazy increase in property tax is being used to pay for your retirement, while at the same time municipalities are filing for bankruptcy. You also know that these retirement packages came from an almost criminal conflict of interest of political and public union agreements made years ago.

Before people complain: 1.) This is mostly a thing of the past and only in certain regions of the country. The majority of public employees do not see this. Most public pensions are self-funded now. And if they are not and you are not retired yet, doesn't matter what agreement you think you have, it will be. 2.) This does not impact me or my tax liability in the state I live in. I just shake my head, laugh, and think that I am glad I am not a taxpayer living in New York or Taxachusetts.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
I don't begrudge anyone being able to retire young - I'd love to and would enjoy every minute! There's a reason I buy lottery tickets when the jackpot goes over $100M - so that I can retire from "having" to work and do something I WANT to do instead (buy significant acreage and start an animal rescue group for everything from rabbits to horses).

Having said that, I'm saving for retirement as much as possible since I started late (I didn't actively begin saving for retirement until my late 20s). And since turning 40 I've tried to save more than ever.

Will we be rich in retirement? No. But we'll be mortgage-free and (hopefully) debt-free when we retire, which is huge. Eventually I will get a very modest inheritance from my parents - but I'll probably be in my late 70s when they pass away (longevity runs in my family on both sides), so if anything it'll help offset any deficiencies in what my husband and I are able to come up with ourselves before we retire.

Last edited by Girl; 09-29-2015 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I don't begrudge anyone being about to retire young - I'd love to and would enjoy every minute! There's a reason I buy lottery tickets when the jackpot goes over $100M - so that I can retire from "having" to work and do something I WANT to do instead (buy significant acreage and start an animal rescue group for everything from rabbits to horses).

Having said that, I'm saving for retirement as much as possible since I started late (I didn't actively begin saving for retirement until my late 20s). And since turning 40 I've tried to save more than ever.

Will we be rich in retirement? No. But we'll be mortgage-free and (hopefully) debt-free when we retire, which is huge. Eventually I will get a very modest inheritance from my parents - but I'll probably be in my late 70s when they pass away (longevity runs in my family on both sides), so if anything it'll help offset any deficiencies in what my husband and I are able to come up with ourselves before we retire.
How about instead of gambling your money on the lottery you invest that extra amount in something else. A silver coin? Penny stocks? Save it up to buy something you can flip?

Playing the lottery is fun but I don't see it as a retirement plan. LOL Then again maybe you are the one in 50million that will pull it off. LOL

Old 09-29-2015, 10:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,935,084 times
[quote=ReachTheBeach;41374710]Simple guide to posting about success...

Good - "I feel very fortunate to have been able to follow a good plan without being derailed by unforeseen circumstances"

Bad - "I upped my retirement income - up yours!"[/QUOTE]

To paraphrase Nipsey Russell, when roasting Don Rickles..LOL

There is a way to demonstrate good planning, or fortune, but some on this thread seem to lack a sense of humility or good taste. And by the way, working for 25 years is not anything extraordinary, since most ordinarily work many more..

Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How about instead of gambling your money on the lottery you invest that extra amount in something else. A silver coin? Penny stocks? Save it up to buy something you can flip?

Playing the lottery is fun but I don't see it as a retirement plan. LOL Then again maybe you are the one in 50million that will pull it off. LOL
Well, obviously hoping to win the lottery isn't a retirement plan. But there's no harm in playing $1-2 a month, is there?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,463 times
God has blessed you! If you will, ask him what portion he would have you bless others less fortunate with. He will let you know! And, your life will be more fulfilled by "investing" in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement