Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,384,902 times

Advertisements

After spending my first 24 years on suburban Long Island, I followed my older brother west to the SF Bay Area and stayed for 32 years, mostly in Oakland. I've been in my current place in the country for 10 years and at 66 I've had only one significant medical issue - had to get my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago.

I was fortunate to find a large house with the master suite on the main floor as well as the laundry room so no up and down 1 or 2 flights of stairs with laundry baskets in my hands. Although I can manage the stairs just fine most of the senior black labs that I've adopted find them tough to impossible so it's a good thing my bedroom is on the main floor. They have all done OK with the 5 shallow steps from the covered back porch to the yard, except for 2 who came down with Lyme disease and had a hard couple of days going up and down.

The upstairs is about 800 sq. ft and has a nice large bedroom with an 8' x 8' deck off it, a full bath and another large room most would consider a family room, I use if for sewing and crafts. If I reach the point where I should have someone live in but don't need a SNF that upstairs would be perfect. I'm on 28 acres but most of that is pasture and a friend keeps several different horses here and when he needs to feed them in the winter he plows my short, flat, paved driveway to get to them. He hays the fields, which keeps them from going wild, and the horses grazing year round also help.

My first dozen years here I mowed the front, side and back yard areas with a walk behind mower but it was small and took a long time so at age 61 I did break down and buy a ride on with a 42" deck and that task goes much faster now.

Could something catastrophic happen tomorrow or in a few more years - SURE - but I've enjoyed 10 very good years here so far. A medevac helicopter could land in my front, side or back yard but I hope I never need it because I don't think I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,913,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Besides the stairs, how familiar are you with a water well and a septic system? Will you need irrigation? Will it be a lengthy chore going to the grocery store or pharmacy? How much wildlife can you tolerate (those things bigger than rabbits)? How badly do you need neighbors? What about trash pick-up? I'm 67 and just a little ways out and chose a single level house but the other things should be considered...there is a learning curve with being out a ways. If you have a couple acres you will get exercise enough without the stairs.
I find the pros far outweigh the cons living in the country. Sure you have to plan a bit and can't get pizza delivery but the privacy is worth it.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,522,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
kind of off topic, but some things to consider if you want to move out to the country for peace and quiet.

Not all move out there for that reason. Around here we have people that move out here so they can do whatever they want. Such as blow up things at all hours of the day and night. We've had some lively discussions about this on a community facebook page. The "exploders' see nothing wrong with it - "we are on 10 acres" - not very big if you ask me.

If you buy acreage, check the layout. Get something more of a square shape and not a long rectangle. Plant yourself in the middle of your square if you don't want to be bothered by your neighbors' noise.
Ain't that the truth. In the rural zoned areas of the county where I live - people have all kinds of farm animals (with their noises and smells) - personal shooting ranges at their houses - etc. All depends what lifestyle you live - and what lifestyles you're willing to put up with when it comes to your neighbors. Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 04:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
For those who plan on multiple moves, isn't this expensive? I am afraid we will move to some sort of condo or independent living place, if we live that long. But to count on moving to two regular homes in the later years?

Even assuming profits on one home, it could be expensive to move a home at a time when you need to be conserving income.

Where am I wrong here?

Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am 56. We have had friends who have had 'bad' knees.

In the past, 'bad' knees were a big problem on stairs. As such we have been given advice a few times about avoiding homes with stairs.

On the other hand, everyone we currently know who used to have 'bad' knees, has had their knees replaced. Now with new knees, stairs are not a problem.
A total knee replacement has an expected life of 15 to 20 years at best these days. So - at age 50-56 - you'll probably be toast again before you're 70.

Just curious - why do your friends have "bad knees"? Here where I live - in the South - most of the people who have "bad knees" are obese. Our knees were only designed to hold so much weight.

I had one bad "knee" (and related stuff) after a skiing accident in my 30's. Rehabbed it to normal and haven't had any problems since. Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 04:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
I would like the same as you - a decent sized house on some acreage. Room for family gatherings and room for grandchildren to play. I was kind of surprised when my daughter said "Are you sure you can handle that?"

My dad owned 80 acres until he was about 75 years old. It was when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my mom with congestive heart failure that they sold the land and moved to a double lot in town, which was really depressing to both of them. They lived about six more years, but I can't say that they were happy.

My dad could have climbed stairs until the day he died and although he had a lot of pain, he kept up his daily activities until the day he died. My mom had about ten years before she died where she was very debilitated because of her CHF and could not do her regular activities without help. She could not have climbed stairs.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Besides the stairs, how familiar are you with a water well and a septic system? Will you need irrigation? Will it be a lengthy chore going to the grocery store or pharmacy? How much wildlife can you tolerate (those things bigger than rabbits)? How badly do you need neighbors? What about trash pick-up? I'm 67 and just a little ways out and chose a single level house but the other things should be considered...there is a learning curve with being out a ways. If you have a couple acres you will get exercise enough without the stairs.
Very good points IMO.

When we moved to our current location - there were some very attractive waterfront lots on the intracoastal waterway that only had septic tanks. And now - 20 years later - there still aren't any sewers there. And every time we get a bunch of rain (not unusual in Florida during tropical storms) - those septic systems back up. And there's nothing the plumbers can do about it.

In our part of the county - we're pretty much all "city water" (even in areas without sewers). But there are lots of places in the western part of the county without sewers - or city water (just well water) - or cable for that matter. I've guess if you're familiar with living in rural areas - you are perhaps prepared to deal with these things. Kind of doubt most seniors who've never dealt with them are prepared to learn in their old age. Robyn

P.S. Even in our nice upper middle class suburban HOA - we have wildlife bigger than rabbits. I hate the friggin' deer (although I haven't seen any lately). They make a mess of my garden.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
^^ this .. I am 53 but moved into town about 10 years back after I got REALLY sick/ lots of surgery and could not keep up my farm anymore..and my family has ranched/ farmed in some form since the 1600's here and I was the last one but the silver lining is I have more time for the few horses I do still have and lots more client horses.

I keep myself up and will never REALLY be over 21 ( or maybe even 18) and yeah you will see me head banging at Iron Maiden here in a few weeks ( I've always gone to tons of concerts )and dressing like Stevie Nicks til I die !!! WHooo Hoooo !! I do miss my show chickens but thats about it ( had dynamite Speckled Sussex ) . Everyone is different .
Do what YOU want .

And yeah to the poster who had the friend ... my FIL constantly discusses the hospital in Holland .. the proximity of it , if it will close ( NO ) , what they offer where the second and third closest hospitals are etc and he lives in town and doesn't drive .. With my surgical history I would literally have to move to a medical complex and just set up camp . He will PM me for HOURS about this on FB and he doesn't even like me .. I am just the only one who will talk with him about it .
Hate to break it to you. You are only 53. 12 years away from being even a "junior senior" (senior senior is 80+). I am not sure why middle aged people think they're doing great as "seniors" when they aren't close to being seniors yet. Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I find the pros far outweigh the cons living in the country. Sure you have to plan a bit and can't get pizza delivery but the privacy is worth it.
I have about 3/4 acre of land in a HOA in a suburb. That is quite private enough for me. Especially since my neighbors are very quiet people. What kinds of privacy are you looking for? Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 04:52 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
A total knee replacement has an expected life of 15 to 20 years at best these days. So - at age 50-56 - you'll probably be toast again before you're 70.

Just curious - why do your friends have "bad knees"? Here where I live - in the South - most of the people who have "bad knees" are obese. Our knees were only designed to hold so much weight.

I had one bad "knee" (and related stuff) after a skiing accident in my 30's. Rehabbed it to normal and haven't had any problems since. Robyn
JJ- is 63, she was athletic and competed bicycle racing in her 20s and 30s, wore out the cartilage on her knees. She lives off-grid, her primary income is from gardening. For the past couple years, I have been helping her to carry veggies whenever I see her, because I knew that she was in a lot of pain. She spends a lot of time weeding. She is thin. 3 months after surgery she is again very active and ready for spring. Jj was over for potluck a couple weeks ago, and she carries stuff around fine without any help.

Kat- is mid 60s, trains horses. I have no idea of what she did in her early to mid life. She was complaining about her knees when we met her. Then a tractor injury messed up her hip. September'14 Kat and I had our surgeries on the same week. She got a new hip and new knees. I have not talked to her much since her surgery. I see her on horses again, and this winter she was clearing her own driveway. So it looks like she recovered well. She might have an extra 10pounds on her, maybe.

Lady at church- an acquaintance I really do not know her backstory or her age. I guess she is between 50 and 70. She offered to dance with me once, she showed me the scars on her knees and was very proud of her new knees. She was very happy to be pain free and wanted to dance with me. I would guess her BMI between 20 and 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement