Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 AM

50 posts, read 105,406 times

Advertisements

I'm 60 1/2 and will be retiring next year. My #1 requirement in building/buying a house to spend my retirement years was that is had to be a single story. While I do not have issues navigating stairs now, 10-20 years from now it probably will become an issue and I don't want to have to move again because of it. Having lived in a single story home for the last 24 years I gotten used to not having to deal with stairs.

But beyond that, I know as people age, stairs become more and more of a factor in their mobility. In fact there is a whole industry that has developed over the years to add stairway elevators to homes where the elderly residents can no longer deal with the stairs. One of the reasons my parents sold their home and moved to a ground level appt. was because as they got to their late 70's the stairs became an issue. I believe if wasn't for that, they could have stayed in their home a few more years. I know they commented to me several times that if they had it do over again they would have purchased a different house when they retired in their early 60's.

But, if you are in your 50's and don't mind the stairs I would say go for it. Just keep in mind that at some point in the future it may become an issue. But since you are still pretty young that day is hopefully a long way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 10:09 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
kind of off topic, but some things to consider if you want to move out to the country for peace and quiet.

Not all move out there for that reason. Around here we have people that move out here so they can do whatever they want. Such as blow up things at all hours of the day and night. We've had some lively discussions about this on a community facebook page. The "exploders' see nothing wrong with it - "we are on 10 acres" - not very big if you ask me.

If you buy acreage, check the layout. Get something more of a square shape and not a long rectangle. Plant yourself in the middle of your square if you don't want to be bothered by your neighbors' noise.
That made me laugh. I'm in Idaho redneck country and I know some of these people personally. I know someone that owns a cannon.

You reminds me of something we recently ran across. Our MLS recently had a really pretty out in the country place with a rap around porch and 5 acres. We drive out there and road is one of those no maintenance all pot hole things. That is a no way for me. The house is itself about 6 feet from this road with another house right across the street. I know people do this because they don't want to have to dig their way out very far in the winter, but where they placed this house ruined the whole thing. Why move out there if your house is crammed against the road and someone else?

I think I've decided to just consider the countryish places that are just closer in to town and there is quite a bit of that here. Or one of the littler towns near here. The fun part is I don't have to go anywhere and actually love the house I have, but not the neighborhood. I can go when I find one I like better, but no real hurry.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For those who plan on multiple moves, isn't this expensive? I am afraid we will move to some sort of condo or independent living place, if we live that long. But to count on moving to two regular homes in the later years?

Even assuming profits on one home, it could be expensive to move a home at a time when you need to be conserving income.

Where am I wrong here?
It depends on what you buy.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Very good points IMO.

When we moved to our current location - there were some very attractive waterfront lots on the intracoastal waterway that only had septic tanks. And now - 20 years later - there still aren't any sewers there. And every time we get a bunch of rain (not unusual in Florida during tropical storms) - those septic systems back up. And there's nothing the plumbers can do about it.

In our part of the county - we're pretty much all "city water" (even in areas without sewers). But there are lots of places in the western part of the county without sewers - or city water (just well water) - or cable for that matter. I've guess if you're familiar with living in rural areas - you are perhaps prepared to deal with these things. Kind of doubt most seniors who've never dealt with them are prepared to learn in their old age. Robyn

P.S. Even in our nice upper middle class suburban HOA - we have wildlife bigger than rabbits. I hate the friggin' deer (although I haven't seen any lately). They make a mess of my garden.
I get deer where I am even though I'm in town. If you mix together water, hot sauce and eggs and spray it on your flowers they will leave them alone. They hate that stuff. The only thing is you have to go out there and respray it every time it rains and washes it off. It does work. Try it.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think it depends on the house/acreage and also whether or not you plan to have animals like horses, cows, etc.

Rural properties can be quite a lot of work and also very expensive to maintain. If there are pastures, fencing, etc. It can be like a full time job.

Even getting the garbage to a point to be picked up can be a major undertaking.

If one of you drops.....even worse. Depends on how much grass has to be mowed. And all sorts of other things that have to be done to keep nature from reclaiming the property.

If you really want to do all that then I suppose the best answer you will have is to look to how long your own parents were physically able to do that kind of work.

Also, there are lots of small or medium size towns that are surrounded by rural property and you may only be 10 or 15 minutes from civilization.
My parents. Close to 80 years old. Recently bought a little place here and Dad is going to be building an addition onto it this summer. Not having one built, he is building it, with help, but still doing the work. The summer before he helped with one of out investment fixers. Mom gets out and walks every day. They are the youngest 80 year olds you ever met. I have a history longevity on my side, but I do have to consider that I am a cancer survivor. I know things can happen.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:38 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
When I was 58, I built a one story house in a rural neighborhood, with everyone having a minimum of one acre. I built it totally handicapped accessible, no stairs, one story, walk in shower, wide doorways, etc. At the time, I thought I could stay here until I needed assisted living. What I didn't take into account was the long drive for services and shopping, over an hour each way. Every trip has to be planned for maximum efficiency. If something unexpected comes up, it's a hassle. No public transportation of course. If taxis come out this far, it would cost a fortune for 50 miles. This is the desert, so no grass, but brush and weed cutting is a chore I can no longer do myself at 70. Any kind of service place charges travel time ranging from a low of $40 per trip to a high of $180. I like my house, and the setting is beautiful with mountains all around, but I see that I can't stay here much longer.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:19 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
If you are going to make a major purchase like that err on the side of caution. I think you should consider that in as little as 10 years you will more than likely not be able to manage all of it and it will become a burden.

I know when I was 54 years old I still had a lot of energy. But now I know that in comparison to 60+ it was like being a teenager. You don't know it yet but old age really catches up with you rapidly. It will seem to come upon you like a thief in the night and it's one hell of an adjustment.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If you are going to make a major purchase like that err on the side of caution. I think you should consider that in as little as 10 years you will more than likely not be able to manage all of it and it will become a burden.

I know when I was 54 years old I still had a lot of energy. But now I know that in comparison to 60+ it was like being a teenager. You don't know it yet but old age really catches up with you rapidly. It will seem to come upon you like a thief in the night and it's one hell of an adjustment.
You make an excellent point. I could not believe the change in my energy level once I got into 60s and now into 70s, it is even more noticeable. I thought for a long time it was just "me", that I had somehow gotten plain lazy and was mad at myself for a long time. Being by myself, I have always prided myself in being able to get a lot done and not asking for help. Sadly not that way anymore.

Thank you for saying what you did. It sure made a difference to me.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:48 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Having lived only in urban/suburban places - I was surprised to find that many people - including some in suburban places - don't have the kind of curbside garbage/recycling/yard trash pickups we have. Some people actually have to haul their garbage to area dumps/landfills. It's not something I'd care to do even if I were young - much less when I'm old. Robyn
Right. And even if there is some sort of pickup on a main street, a lot of properties around here are 1/2 or more down a dirt road to get it there.

It's all these little things, that I think people need to make sure they know about or are onboard with.

Its not for me at any age. But, I know people who live on country properties and they enjoy it.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I'm with the go ahead and do it crowd. Do what you love, make memories but don't stick your head in the sand when it's time to move on.

My parents retired young, late 50's. The had bought 30 acres bordering the Smoky Mtns twelve years before retiring. Dad made balsa models of the house they wanted and that helped get him through those last years of work. They retired, sold their house and rented a neighbor's cabin while their house was built and they did much of the finishing work. They had the road paved 1/2 mile up the mountain to the house. I have great memories of this place: so beautiful and peaceful... and watching a neighbor's cow jump over their pasture fence. They were heating with wood and Dad would fell the trees in advance to season them for firewood. He had a tractor for dragging/hauling and they loved it there. Lots of friends, they fit in well with the locals and other retirees in their area. They had fun and lots to keep them busy.

Dad had surgery on his back and they realized what it would be like there for Mom on her own; pretty isolated and work she couldn't do to keep the place up. They eventually sold and moved to a condo in Asheville for several years. It was beautiful too and again they made friends but Dad went from doing too much to too little and was bored. They ended up buying a new SFH in their hometown in the Midwest to be near family. It had a yard to keep Dad happy and piddle around in.

They are in their 90's, Dad still does yardwork and loves getting outside. Their faces light up when they talk about their house in the mountains of NC. They got to see their retirement dream come true and they moved on before it became a problem for them. That's the way to do it: good memories, letting go when it's time and no regrets.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-20-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement