Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,193,388 times

Advertisements

My mom drank a couple of glasses of wine with dinner all the time, throughout her life, didn't get much exercise for the last decade, but was slim, and mentally sharp up until the last couple of months of her life. Bless her heart, she died this year, one month short of 100 years old. Miss her, and dearly miss raising a glass of wine with her over a good meal.

Hope it all in the genes- I have bourbon and cheerios for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 05:38 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,250,724 times
I must be getting old as I can't figure out what exactly was supposed to suck about that post. I guess knowing there are beautiful people like the OP drinking every day who look 46 at age 61 sucks for us regular folks. My day is ruined.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,378,793 times
My mother's problem was that she slowed down. She walked a mile or more a day up until she was 84 then she got shingles and never recovered from the nerve pain. She locked herself in and had a million excuses as to why she couldn't go out. Sad, because she went from active to dying in short time.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,310,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Is it possible, by living a life of stress, from being poor, having a chronic health issue and still drink alcohol on a daily basis

that one, as me, at, 61 almost 62 feel, act, and look 15 years younger.

And yet, at the age of 97, most people thought my grandmother was 77...

She pretty much lived the opposite of the way you describe you live. She didn't exercise much, she only ate in restaurants because she couldn't cook, she devoured chocolate like they were going to stop making it (it was the only thing she stocked in her fridge, along with the Coke that was the only thing she drank (besides coffee).

Genetics goes a long way - if you got the "good" genes from your parents, chances are you will live a long healthy life, regardless of your habits.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Post a pic and we'll be the judge of how old you look
Everybody thinks they look younger. My 76-y.o. friend is active and keeps up with her appearance but there's no hiding that she's in her 70s. She tries, though. She met someone at the nail shop who knows her 50-y.o. daughter, and she told me the woman said, "I can't believe you're Bev's mother." I took it that the woman was saying "What a coincidence--I know your daughter!" But my friend kept repeating the story, so I finally said, "Why can't she believe you're her mother? It's not that big a town--people are bound to run into others who know the same people."

She looked at me oddly, and said, "Well, Bev is 50 years old, you know." Only then did I get that SHE was thinking the woman meant she looked too young to have a daughter that age. LOL.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:37 AM

37,675 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
everybody thinks they look younger. My 76-y.o. Friend is active and keeps up with her appearance but there's no hiding that she's in her 70s. She tries, though. She met someone at the nail shop who knows her 50-y.o. Daughter, and she told me the woman said, "i can't believe you're bev's mother." i took it that the woman was saying "what a coincidence--i know your daughter!" but my friend kept repeating the story, so i finally said, "why can't she believe you're her mother? It's not that big a town--people are bound to run into others who know the same people."

she looked at me oddly, and said, "well, bev is 50 years old, you know." only then did i get that she was thinking the woman meant she looked too young to have a daughter that age. Lol.
lol!

Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
Here's a website where you can post a pic and people guess your age....then you can see the results. I don't know if people guess very seriously or just mess with you but it's worth a shot:

Guess My Age - How old do I look?

There are probably other sites that do the same thing...

Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Living a healthy lifestyle is preferable to living hard but I believe genes play a much bigger part than previously thought.

I am seeing proof of this as I age and see my friends dropping like flies.
Yes...we all like to fee like we're in control of more than we actually are. Sure, we should try to "live healthy" though the definition of anything beyond "eat lots of veggies and exercise" seems to change daily!

If we live long (and look purty) it's due to lifestyle and if we die "early" it is due to genes, dontchaknow?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
My mother's problem was that she slowed down. She walked a mile or more a day up until she was 84 then she got shingles and never recovered from the nerve pain. She locked herself in and had a million excuses as to why she couldn't go out. Sad, because she went from active to dying in short time.
But how do we KNOW that's the reason? 84 is not exactly young and she may have had other health issues that weren't obvious that caught up with her.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM

888 posts, read 891,469 times
To the OP, I'm 61 years and 99 cents like you. I, too, get those comments about how I don't look my age but years younger. I used to eat it with a big spoon. It was a tasty slice of ego cake.

Then I realized that I do look my age. It's just that the people giving me those compliments don't. They look older than they really are.

Humble pie tastes better than ego cake. Try a slice, you might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement