Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:06 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
<>I don't remember it being like that.....if you were busy, you didn't answer the phone, but generally you welcomed a phone call from a friend or family member. Do you agree? Have you experienced this?
With caller ID most times the phone rings and we know it's telemarketers so we ignore it. Anyone we want to talk to calls by cell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,567,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Interesting topic. My family isn't much for chit chatting on the phone. We seem to use email 95% of the time unless it's urgent. I guess it depends on personalities, need to stay connected, etc.
We have a friend who doesn't text. She emails instead. Can take up to 3 days to finalize plans. As for me, text or call. My friends don't mind

Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times
I hate talking on the phone (might be because I briefly worked in phone sales in my mis-spent youth). I prefer emails.

I only use my cell phone for emergencies (honey, I'm at the store, do we need milk?), so don't text much. Have one friend who persists in texting my landline, then can't understand why I didn't get his message. sigh.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,012,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so decided to give it a shot here. It occurred to me last night, as I was contemplating calling someone, that is has become an imposition to actually call people on the phone, rather than text or email. A lot of people today consider it almost rude to want to talk on the phone with them, rather than use the other methods of communication. I have been at my kid's house and watch as the phone rings, only to be totally ignored, even if no one was especially busy. I don't remember it being like that.....if you were busy, you didn't answer the phone, but generally you welcomed a phone call from a friend or family member. Do you agree? Have you experienced this?
Yes...and it's only going to get worse.I like to communicate either via e-mail or actually talking on the phone.I will only be friends with people who understand how important it is to actually hear someone's voice now and then.I'm not going to ever change my ways so the way I feel is that they've lost out on a really good friend...but they're probably too busy and full of themselves to figure that out...so oh-well.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Yes...and it's only going to get worse.I like to communicate either via e-mail or actually talking on the phone.I will only be friends with people who understand how important it is to actually hear someone's voice now and then.I'm not going to ever change my ways so the way I feel is that they've lost out on a really good friend...but they're probably too busy and full of themselves to figure that out...so oh-well.
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

It couldn't possibly be that they can't hear very well on a phone...

Old 07-31-2017, 09:29 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,681 times
Yeah, well...the times, they are a-changin'....

Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 PM

977 posts, read 1,110,978 times
Thanks for all of the responses! Like many of you, I screen calls. If it is a number I don't recognize, I do not answer it. I guess what I was wondering about is my reluctance to place a call to a friend or family member now because I recognize that many people feel like you are actually intruding on their time if you call them. They no longer welcome a call, nor do they care much for talking on the phone---they would much rather text. I guess I am rather fortunate that so many of my friends still seem to enjoy our conversations, as either they call me, once a week or so, or I call them.

When I was younger my friends and I would talk to each other frequently. (young adults) Usually if someone I know (a friend or member of the family) calls me now I will immediately answer. Once in a while I may not be able to do so, but will call them back in a short amount of time. I like to talk to people. Guess it's partly because I live alone and because I am no longer working. (I used the phone a lot when I was working and can remember not particularly wanting to talk on it sometimes when I got home).

Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,681 times
I've enjoyed having long phone conversations since teen years and don't now have a lifestyle that would regularly utilize texting, but enjoy email. I have known those who say they "do not like to talk on the phone". I still have a landline with a decent handset, so it's possible others do not want to hold an uncomfortable-feeling phone nowadays either, as I don't care much for the cordless or cell. However, I guess some just don't like sitting and chatting. It has bugged me if one would call from their car (killing time, probably), then as they reached their destination, would be wanting off the phone, when I was used to uninterrupted conversations by landline with the same person.

Hey OP, maybe it's because these days, since some only use a cell and are likely inundated by notifications all day, it is no longer special to get a call, having it become a "chore" and pick and choose times in which to not be bothered. (I don't live that way, but it seems many do, since Cell phones have taken over).

In the "old days", many would arrive home from work, eat dinner, watch TV or talk on the phone. Since we did not have a device on us ALL day, evenings and weekends were times to catch up with others, besides when dating, we made arrangements and went out, not being bothered by interruptions while out with another. As I said, times have changed.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 AM

50,407 posts, read 64,151,599 times
I hate talking on the phone. My dh does too. We hardly ever answer because the calls are never from anyone we want to talk to. Unless it is a friend or relative we let the machine get it. Certain friends call when they're bored, so we usually don't answer those either.

I would rather text a few sentences often than blab in the phone. I still email my friends every month or so.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,099,212 times
From a technical standpoint, I do not see any reason the phone utilities cannot eliminate the caller ID spoofing, or at least be able to identify the exact phone some of these calls are coming from. I am sure they could if they wanted to. Once they make it known that a solution to it is possible the government, on a national or state level, could make it illegal to spoof CID. It would probably have to be accomplished through the FCC, since most of the annoying calls are made interstate.

It's pretty obvious when your caller ID says it is your own phone line calling you. Some of these spoofers must be pretty stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement