Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,794,931 times

Advertisements

Pros have not beaten us. I consider hedge fund people as pros. They have not been beating us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM

106,912 posts, read 109,176,429 times
many popular hedge fund managers have been closing down funds and giving back investor money

Old 08-10-2017, 12:27 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Shiller and his followers have been too bearish for a long, long time. He puts way too much faith in the CAPE, in my opinion. It's just a number, and appears to be a flawed number at that. Bad bear markets are typically the result of recession and/or credit problems. CAPE does not tell us if either of those problems are brewing.

One of the worst markets in the past century was '73-'74, and CAPE was not terribly high then. In contrast, the market has been fine in many periods when the CAPE was higher than in 1973.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,629,457 times
Just invest in good companies.

I mean...if you look at good companies, the ones that survive the recession tend to come out way ahead. The way to avoid ANY pain is to only invest money you won't need. At the end of the day the only days that matter are the day you buy and the day you sell, and hopefully you're buying things that pay you while you wait (aka dividends). If dividends are a part of your earnings you need to live on, then maybe go more cautious....but what to replace it with?

The trick is to not have to sell during a recession. The better trick is being able to buy more. Remember, the horrid stock crash of 1929...at the high right before it touched 381.17. And I'll be the first to say it's not an apples to apples comparison, but we've come a long way since then.

We might lose some on a correction here, and it might be big, but it will be back. The only way it's going down is if N. Korea dots the horizon with mushroom clouds....and then it wouldn't matter anyway.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM

564 posts, read 450,115 times
I like lots of individual companies but usually buy indexes.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:27 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,518,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Just invest in good companies.

I mean...if you look at good companies, the ones that survive the recession tend to come out way ahead.
But if you know this, so do millions of other investors, and they've acted on it already, driving the price of those good companies up to reflect the survival advantage. So their action reduces your upside and increases your downside. You can't win with any targeted strategy like this unless you have either superior market knowlege (very superior, since you're competing with pro investors) or you have insider information. Either can be very useful!

Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,185,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
But if you know this, so do millions of other investors, and they've acted on it already, driving the price of those good companies up to reflect the survival advantage. So their action reduces your upside and increases your downside. You can't win with any targeted strategy like this unless you have either superior market knowlege (very superior, since you're competing with pro investors) or you have insider information. Either can be very useful!
50-60 percent in low expense mutual funds that follow the S&P 500 or mid cap if you feel frisky. 30 percent in 10 year treasury bonds or inflation protected. ... about 10 percent in cash. You won't make a killing but in the long run you will do fine. Picking the "right" companies is akin to going to the track.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,745,457 times
Yes, stocks are over-priced. That doesn't necessarily lead to a panic.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,915,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
You don't have to personalize it. I was just posting an article. I wasn't even espousing it. I thought it was interesting though. Perhaps you should have a little more tact when you respond to people. And I'm getting "quick reputation" responses, so there are others who agree with me.
I repped you too

Old 08-10-2017, 03:00 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

You can use superior intestinal fortitude. Lots of people will just sell in fear when things are dropping. Others will have no choice but to sell if they are leveraged. Prices are not always set by rational thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement