Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 AM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times

Advertisements

i get all these little lumpy things in my feet in the bottoms . it feels like i have something in my socks but it is just my feet .

like , i say i have been running 5 miles every other day for years and so far no real feet issues . my a1c runs 6.1-6.30 with no meds .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,895,846 times
My feet hurt too. Custom ski boots help quite a bit (I try to ski a million vertical feet downhill each season). My bootfitter actually is a graduate of Northwestern Medical School. My ski boots are more comfortable than off-season walking in street shoes.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,808,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am kind of in that same situation. My diabetes is controlled with metformin, A1c is somthing like 6.1, but, my feet seem numb, burning, feeling like walking on uneven rocks all the time. This thing has slowly developed but, this past week I just can't seems to be affecting me very much.
Ever look into Berberine vs the sweetheart Metformin. Could be the drugs too with the added neuropathy.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
My feet are killing me!!!!!!!!! 70 years old and I just dread walking. I think it is a combination of diabetic neuropathy and osteoarthritis. I am getting with my doctor asap to see what she can do. Anyone else with similar condition?
I have fat pad atrophy. Yeah, not fun. But I found Vionics shoes..and I wear them all the time. I never walk barefoot.

Weird feet too. I have a wide toe area, and a B heel, with a high instep and arches. I can't wear styles I like...I'm drawn to a shoe that is lower on top...and it's always painful.

After you visit the doctor, ask him for shoe brands he recommends. My doctor told me exactly what to look for. Also ask for exercises or PT. Might help, can't hurt.

Then head to Nordstrom and try those brands on. Prepare to pay $$$, but they will help eventually...not overnight.

Foot pain is THE WORST...

Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 AM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times
i just ordered a self driving saburu . the biggest problem i have is the brake pedal in traffic. it digs in to the sensitive spot . the self driving vehicles are amazing in braking or keeping distance from the car in front with no input from me .

Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,795,823 times
Thank y'all for this thread. My foot/feet started hurting about two months ago, but I didn't know what was the cause. Got some Epsom salts, but haven't tried yet. Like most aches and pains, I though it would just 'go away' with time, as these things usually do with me.

Because of this thread, I now understand that it might be something completely new to me. I am 66 this week and Type-2, and attempt to control it with medication and exercise. But I have to admit that I cheat too often.

I usually only notice any foot pain after I lay down for the night. Several times, to the point where I'll uncover my feet from under the blanket because it is so uncomfortable. Once I'm asleep, no problems.

My first Medicare physician appointment is at the end of September. Had a devil of a time finding a doctor who accepts new Medicare patients, but this one does, and only diabetic patients. I will be sure to discuss the foot pain with him. So far, it isn't too bad. Just a minor annoyance, just like the tinnitus.

Thanks again. What a great forum this is.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM

14,993 posts, read 12,204,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
My podiatrist said my foot pain is caused by arthritis, plantar facitis, bursitis, and tendonitis. Woohoo, a quadfecta of itises.

He suggested wearing rubber clogs with good (not drugstore) arch supports. Surprisingly effective, I rarely hobble around in pain any more.

Shoes with a 1" or higher heel and very soft, cushy soles are also helpful.
I find Crocs (both the clogs and the sandals) pretty helpful in this regard. They aren't cheap but my feet thank me every day.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:43 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,795,823 times
Those of you who wear Crocs, (and I have several pair), how do you deal with the sweaty, clammy feet caused by the plastic construction? Some of the Crocs I have are just yucky to wear, (even though they are comfortable).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,940,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those of you who wear Crocs, (and I have several pair), how do you deal with the sweaty, clammy feet caused by the plastic construction? Some of the Crocs I have are just yucky to wear, (even though they are comfortable).
Easy! Just wear Crocs with socks. It may look uncool but comfort beats style any time for me. I wear smart wool or merino wool socks year around (light weight thin ones for summer, medium weight for spring/fall and heavy weight for winter). I only wear Crocs around the house or in my yard so I think I can get away with wearing socks.

It was just a coincidence that I read this thread after noticing that many women walked very slow during an errand trip this morning (taking garbage/recycle stuffs to the town recycling center + grocery shopping).

P.S. I have been on 20mg of simvastatin for the last 10 years and have not experienced any bad side effects.

I was trying to guess the reasons for the slow walk (weight issue or arthritis) but did not think of diabetic neuropathy or other foot problems like bunions, corns, hammer toes etc.

I love to walk/hike (~3 miles a day & and can easily hike 10 miles) and have never had foot problems. I am 65 years old and have always worn shoe size 6.5 W since my teenage days. The only difference was that I wore high heels in my late teens and early twenties. After college, I have been wearing sensible walkers, sneakers or hiking shoes with no more than 1/2" heel. I do own one or two pair of pumps/dressy sandals with 1" heels which I wear only on special occasions like weddings. Last year, I was the assistant photographer/videographer at a wedding and decided to wear my running shoes with a dress ;-)

I am very picky in buying shoes and always put fit/comfort over styles. Some of my favorite brands over the years are Easy Spirit, Reebok, New Balance, Crocs and Merrell. Shoes with good arch support are important for me. I also use inserts and insoles (mostly Dr. Scholl's).

P.S. I have been on 20mg simvastatin for the last 10 years and have not experienced any side effects.

Last edited by BellaDL; 08-12-2017 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 12:48 PM

498 posts, read 573,318 times
At 75 I can't remember NOT having foot pain...even as a teenager. Wide feet, high instep, atypical neuropathy, corns, bunions. In my 30s I ordered mens boots for hiking shoes. Today there are much better choices. Never wore heels.

I have less pain today because I now only wear SAS shoes. Additionally I wear very expensive compression stockings which have definitely helped my neuropathy....took about 4 years for nerves to heal. SAS shoes are expensive and the stockings run about $75 a pair, but boy, oh, boy, do I feel better. I also have Crocs - wear with very thin boot liners (REI) and also have one pair of Birkies (wear with crazy-colored wool socks for the winter). I fit right in this somewhat liberal city where I live. But SAS shoes are really great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement