Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times

Advertisements

In 1993, I went to an American Airlines weekend seminar for people who are afraid to fly. I learned some useful techniques but almost didn't make the graduation flight SJC - LAX - SJC.

Thanks to that seminar, I was able to fly back from London in 1995 aboard BA Concorde. Wow, what a let-down when we got to JFK and realized we'd be on a "slow" jet back to California.

I stopped flying for good about 15 years ago. I was 48. The anti-fear techniques no longer worked for me. Just couldn't take the hassles and aggravation any more, not to mention the non-stop worrying for weeks before.

Several airlines offer fear of flying courses. I would recommend it to anyone who is battling flying fear. You may have better long-term results than I did.

Now I either drive my van -- which is heaven on earth, but leisurely -- or I book an Amtrak sleeper. I have about $2,200 in Amtrak credits that I need to use in the next 12 months.

If I take the van, I can get some work done while resting from adventures.

But on Amtrak, I can fall asleep in Sacramento and wake up in Klamath Falls. I still get a kick out of that after all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I just flew from Tucson to Anchorage yesterday. Flying is part of life if you live in Alaska. I don't have any problems with it.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Flying is no big deal. Get TSA-Pre, or Global Entry, or Clear, and sail thru security.

Sure, I try to get aisle seating, because as you say, the bathroom breaks are a little more often. But for the most part, flying is not an issue.
This.

I fly a lot for work and nearly always Southwest. They've been great for the most part and if not, I shoot them a Twitter. My dad (88) still flies to see me sometimes (when my brother doesn't drive him). The airport here lets me go to the gate with him to wait. I HATE driving long distance. I'll fly always. I did get to fly with one of the local sports teams on the private plane and that nearly ruined me for commercial flights.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
I am 65 and I have heart disease, as well as a few other health problems.
When I have flown in the past I have a wheelchair and pusher, they get you through security very quickly and they help you with it.
My problem comes with the flight itself and cabin pressure. I am okay in flights up to an hour or so, but I start having heart problems, shortness of breath, pain etc. after about an hour. So no longer flights for me or I could end up having a heart attack and perhaps having the plane need to make an emergency landing. Not something I would want for myself or for the other passengers.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Not to be pessimistic or overly-dramatic, but my 93 year old neighbor flew to California to visit relatives, and died immediately after the trip. I really think the stressors and flying conditions listed in many of the posts above caused her demise to happen when it did.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:06 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Not yet, but the day may come and it would be a pity, as my children don't live near me. It's hard to get Salt Lake City and the Bay Area from Denmark by public transit

Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I no longer fly. Nothing to do with age, health or fear of flying. Just tired of flying and the aggravation you have to put up with.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
I gave up flying a few years ago, as I don't feel comfortable at 85, to fly solo anymore, or with someone like my wife who does not know how to take over and get us down safe if there is an emergency and I am unable to keep us in the air safely.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:01 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I no longer fly. Nothing to do with age, health or fear of flying. Just tired of flying and the aggravation you have to put up with.
My first career was being a flight attendant. I did that for 14 years. I am now past my 2nd career and full retirement age, and working my 3rd "career". I HATE flying today. Why?

One reason is the TSA. They are a worthless waste of national funds. They don't do what they are supposed to do, (heighten airport security), they waste our time as passengers, and they are generally thuggish in their mentality and approach. I will admit, some do try harder to make what they do more agreeable, and it is a thankless task. It just really annoys me that it is such an intrusive procedure, and expensive to us as passengers, for little or no added security benefit. I think that whole approach is a shame.

Another reason is that the airlines have turned into flying buses. Small seat pitch (the distance between rows) so that airlines can fit more passengers in the planes greatly contributes to uncomfortable flights for passengers. When I was young, I hated narrow rows. Today, they are downright painful and debilitating.

So, today, if I can get where I'm going some other way - I do.

I don't blame the airlines, nor airline management for the current shape of the industry. They need to do what they need to do to make a buck. Airline CEO's are not like some other industry CEO's - making millions in pay while their employees (or customers) are struggling to pay the mortgage. Last I heard they were not paid at those obscenely high levels. Point is, airlines' profits are really tight.

I do fault our government, and our acquiescence as citizens to the intrusive, expensive, and ineffective airport screening. That screening adds to the cost of your ticket - you are paying for it.

Ah, well, I should calm down now. Deep breaths, and again . . .

So I don't like flying today. But it has less to do with the problems of age than it does with the problems of being an airline in today's world.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Reno_Air_Races_crash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement