Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That sounds great, but then I have to ask why isn't it the oldest city? Or located in the oldest state?

What is the Average Age of the Residents in Each State? -Gallery

PA has a median age of 40.30

It sounds like retirees should be flocking there.

Instead retirees flock to the older states.
There is a difference between the Philly metro and the rest of the state. The state has lost its good manufacturing jobs and there is little to attract or retain young people in the small towns and rural areas that take up most of the the state. The millennial population of Philly, on the other hand, has exploded in the 6+ years we’ve lived here: Fastest-Growing Millennial Populations in 10 Largest U.S. Cities This is great for us because it brings more and more entertainment, culture, restaurants and shopping to the city which only serves to make it an even better place to live for us.

I am not surprised that retirees aren’t flocking to Philadelphia. Do you want to retire here? Most retirees are not interested in spending their golden years in the BosWash megalopolis. Instead, they prefer warmer climates and a slower pace. We know we are exceptions to the rule, but as you can see from this thread, there is a selection of retirees who do prefer an active urban lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Wow. Are you saying anyone who buys a condo in the city gets near zero property taxes for the first 10 years? Give me a good phrase to google so I can learn more. Can’t blame you for liking Philly over Boston if that’s the case....
No, I am not saying anyone who buys a condo in Philly gets a 10 year tax abatement. I am saying that qualifying construction in the city is granted a 10 year tax abatement from the time it is built, not from the time someone purchases it. For example, if you buy into a such a home 6 years after it was granted tax abatement, you will only have abated taxes for the remaining 4 years.

If you wish to get all the technical details, I would simple google Philadelphia tax abatement program and I’m sure you will find a good deal of information. I see lots of links.

Finally, there are many reasons I prefer Philly over Boston. The tax abatement policies are not on the list.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I lived and worked in Manhattan all of my adult life. By retirement time I knew that it would probably be too difficult to live there financially, and I was sick of the noise and crowding wherever you went.

And I wanted nature...birds, flowers, trees, the wind. So, since retirement I have only lived in small cities 20,000 or less or in the countryside. For me it was an excellent decision.
I've never lived in Manhattan, but used to go there at least a few times a year. When I reached a certain age, it felt energy sapping. Much different than when I was young.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Hospitals and airports are nice to have not too far away. The small towns usually don't offer the services. My sister lives in a small town and she wants to relocate upon retirement to a larger city with some amenities. She was considering photography as a hobby. Wants to take up something new at a local college.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
No, I am not saying anyone who buys a condo in Philly gets a 10 year tax abatement. I am saying that qualifying construction in the city is granted a 10 year tax abatement from the time it is built, not from the time someone purchases it. For example, if you buy into a such a home 6 years after it was granted tax abatement, you will only have abated taxes for the remaining 4 years.

If you wish to get all the technical details, I would simple google Philadelphia tax abatement program and I’m sure you will find a good deal of information. I see lots of links.

Finally, there are many reasons I prefer Philly over Boston. The tax abatement policies are not on the list.
Yes, lots of things to love about Philly. As an avid Boston sports fan though, I might have a tough time enjoying my Pats and Red Sox :-)

Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Yes, lots of things to love about Philly. As an avid Boston sports fan though, I might have a tough time enjoying my Pats and Red Sox :-)
You can enjoy them all you want. Just do it on the down low.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I'm thinking of moving (with the aim of eventually retiring) to a town of about 10,000. Phoenix is 2 hours away, Flagstaff is about an hour away.

The only way you can ever really know about a place is by living there, though. I'm about to take the next step and rent a house in that small town. If I can't get adequate medical care there, I'll cross it off our list at the end of the lease.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:05 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
There is a difference between the Philly metro and the rest of the state. The state has lost its good manufacturing jobs and there is little to attract or retain young people in the small towns and rural areas that take up most of the the state. The millennial population of Philly, on the other hand, has exploded in the 6+ years we’ve lived here: Fastest-Growing Millennial Populations in 10 Largest U.S. Cities This is great for us because it brings more and more entertainment, culture, restaurants and shopping to the city which only serves to make it an even better place to live for us.

I am not surprised that retirees aren’t flocking to Philadelphia. Do you want to retire here? Most retirees are not interested in spending their golden years in the BosWash megalopolis. Instead, they prefer warmer climates and a slower pace. We know we are exceptions to the rule, but as you can see from this thread, there is a selection of retirees who do prefer an active urban lifestyle.
I have no desire to live in any city.

As a retiree I migrated to the state with the highest percentage of retirees, Maine.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
I like big city where great restaurants are just short walk away.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
You can enjoy them all you want. Just do it on the down low.
Well, that kind removes part of the fun.....when your hometown team is the greatest team in NFL history, you sure as hell want everyone to know. That’s part of being a fan.

Philly fans would do the same if they were so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement