Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Everyone has their own Cost of Living calculation. In our case
This is true. And it changes based on whether you have a low income with a fair amount of property, or a high income without property. And whether you want to live in a school zone with bars on your windows, or 30 miles out in the countryside with barbed wire fencing all the way around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
... If each state really takes the same in taxes then why does a private room in an assisted living facility vary from $5k per month at a low to $13k as a high excluding Alaska which is over $20k? There are differences in cost. Most who do not tax income do have higher other taxes than most states but the differences in cost of living are material.
I assume there is a big difference in insurance costs and maybe state regulations.

It is possible to live without income taxes and to still have low property taxes.

Everytime I have compared our property taxes to home-owners in Texas, it always seems that Texas has much higher taxes overall.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I assume there is a big difference in insurance costs and maybe state regulations.

It is possible to live without income taxes and to still have low property taxes.

Everytime I have compared our property taxes to home-owners in Texas, it always seems that Texas has much higher taxes overall.
I agree but to pretend they all cost the same is a fools errand. 20% cost of living differences are meaningful to me. Not to you? Or are you simply arguing for arguments sake

Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
731 Hurley Rd, Sneedville, TN 37869 - Apple Realty (applesold.com)
206/214 Erb Private Drive, Elizabethton, TN 37643 - Apple Realty (applesold.com)

Not the prettiest, but checks all the boxes. Op would have to have really good timing or luck to find similar when it's actually time to move though, and yes it's one of the least humid areas of the southeast, think Asheville NC weather.
Wow. I'm amazed such places checking all the boxes exist. I stand corrected.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
More and more going to NV.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:46 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Sorry, but the real estate market in Cheyenne area is already well past the OP's $75K budget for housing, let alone a "3-acre" parcel where one can keep livestock. A modest sized mobile/modular house on a sales lot is over that budget and you'd still need an out in the country land parcel for the livestock requirements as City of Cheyenne bans livestock. Indeed, they had a huge zoning fight over allowing City residents to keep chickens, recently allowing a few hens ... no roosters ... to be kept within City limits. A 3-acre parcel outside of City limits with utilities in place might typically be a $50,000+ property, and that would likely be in a HOA controlled subdivision where livestock is not allowed. Many folk assume that the "equine allowed" properties means LIVESTOCK is allowed ... t'ain't so. Horses are specified as OK, but goats are livestock and not allowed in those equine subdivisions.

Rural parcels out in the county areas allowing livestock would more likely be 35-40 acres, HOA controlled subdivisions, and current prices running around $2,500 - $3,000 per acre ... and up. That's for the dryland ... does not include utilities such as water/septic.

Within the Cheyenne area, there are subdivisions of 5-acre parcels that are "equine allowed" properties. Usually, 4 horses per parcel. But that's not GOATS, which are LIVESTOCK.

The Cheyenne T-E has broken down the advertising for residential properties into price ranges. The category "under $125,000" ... hasn't had a listing in a couple of years. The Cheyenne area has now grown to closer to 60,000 population.

As far as Sheridan goes, a $75,000 budget for rural livestock acreage and livable housing isn't much more than a down payment these days.

While the tax burdens of Wyoming may be among the lowest in the USA ... living on the cheap here isn't.

PS: while the OP mentions that they don't wan't a high humidity climate ... Wyoming winters at altitude (Cheyenne is at 6,000' elevation) last 5-6 months and can be a big factor for people to deal with. The winters here are not everybody's "cup of tea" and I've seen many folk not want to deal with them ... not unusual to see the "gone in 2 years" folk come through here. If you haven't experienced a Wyoming winter, it's best to come visit for awhile before making any decision about moving to the area. As well, the winds/gusts here for months on end can be quite daunting for folk to live with.
There is a good reason for goats to be "verboten" - nothing worse than someone who decides to get goats and does not understand how hard they are to fence in. Your neighbors won't be amused when your goat climbs up on top of their high-end car, scratching the paint badly. Damn goat will pass by every old pickup in town to go jump up on a Bimmer, Benz, or similar. Not sure what motivates them, but I do know that's how it works. Not saying the OP does not know how to handle goats, maybe they do. But there are always people who try and fail.

I have never lived in Wyoming, but have lived near Denver (Johnstown) and in Idaho Falls, so have experienced similar winters I think. These winters are no joke, although, like anything, if you are properly prepared in terms of vehicles and clothing, and have made proper arrangements for heating your house, and that house needs to be pretty well insulated - well it can still be a PITA. But if you are unprepared, it can be a lot worse, people freeze to death in such country from time to time.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:02 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.............
The hilly area south of Huntsville, AL...... Cullman, Vinemont, Holly Pond. Look on the map for Brindley Mountain.
Huntsville - a miniature version of Atlanta - has a VA clinic.

I am a big fan of Tennessee, also, but I lived in the Vinemont area for a few years, so I'm more familiar with that area.

For information, start with Cullman, Al.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

There is a small town south of San Antonio that does not have a property tax. They fund their very small operations in other ways - sales tax. But who knows if that is a good thing - crazy times over there

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-ri...city-in-texas/

Old 10-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
There is a small town south of San Antonio that does not have a property tax. They fund their very small operations in other ways - sales tax. But who knows if that is a good thing - crazy times over there

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-ri...city-in-texas/
I did not know that existed. Thank you.

I am fine here with 150 acres and $157.50 in taxes.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree but to pretend they all cost the same is a fools errand. 20% cost of living differences are meaningful to me. Not to you? Or are you simply arguing for arguments sake
A 20% difference is minor, I have seen many examples that have been closer to a 20X difference.

I have never said properties cost the same between high COL areas and low COL areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement