Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh-huh. And then you have one more app you have to manage and update. No thanks. I don't do apps. And I'm no technophobe, I just realize that companies want their app on your phone to promote customer engagement.
Your apps should update automatically. If they don't, you need to change the setting in your smart phone or tablet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I use old addresses or phone numbers from childhood. Some of the addresses physically no longer exist and none of the phone numbers do. Easy for me to remember, hard for anyone else to know other than my sisters who wouldn’t be hacking my accounts. Works well for me.
That's why people should never answer those stupid posts on Facebook that ask if you remember your childhood phone number or address, etc. Those posts weren't done for fun, they were done by someone fishing for information.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Are you FRUSTRATED with today's Technology??
Not in the least.
I do find it challenging at times but IMO that's a plus. The payoff is worth the effort.

I avoid Windows and Microsoft like the plague. I have an iPhone, a MacBook, 2 chromebooks, several Kindles, and an iPad. I'm a happy camper.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your apps should update automatically. If they don't, you need to change the setting in your smart phone or tablet.
That only really works as long your phone/tablet/laptop are brand new and your OS is the latest. Once you try to hang on to your device more than a couple years you are far better off to turn OFF automatic updates, as it becomes possible to update yourself to inutility.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 PM

375 posts, read 609,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The Windows operating systems continue to amaze me. Microsoft makes obscene amounts of money and has huge numbers of employees. How can they do so poorly with operating systems? Windows 8 was a disaster. I am still using 7 which barely works, has constant updates, is prone to viruses and hacking. Every morning I make a pot of coffee while waiting for my Windows 7 software to load. Usually the coffee is finished brewing well before the software. And that is on my powerful desktop. I could walk around the block and brew coffee waiting for it to load on my laptop.

Most of my apps work relatively well. They are tried and true photo processing apps that have been in use for years.
Linux UbuntuMATE 16.04LTS. It's the best for Windows refugees. You can make the DE (desktop environment) look just like a windows7 (Redmond DE) machine or a MAC (Cupertino)
Free download.
Load it on a USB drive in your windows system. and do a live boot into RAM. Try it before you do an install on your HD. You can keep your windows and load it as a dual boot.
Works flawlessly. Boots in less than 30 sec.
Linux has come of age.
Microsoft is no longer a software OS company. They have morphed into a SAS (software as a service) They have a store; ala Android and Apple. The OS is dead. Everything will be on the cloud.
Since you are a software Engr, nothing I've said should be a mystery to you.
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/ 64 bit for dual or four core processors (Intel or amd) Use 32 bit if you have a really really old single core processor. (Unlikely)
I'm 75.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

How's technology working for YOU lately, now that (if) you're retired?
I'm with you, we are in the barbaric stone ages of technology, especially in software. Frustrated and disgusted. The very idea of thinking that it is acceptable that you need to google fixes to some crap app that should work to begin with is beyond absurd.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
one can hardly remember all of these ever-changing passwords, thus, must keep an accessible list of passwords nearby .... somewhat contradicting the point of digital security.
No.
Use a password manager.
I use (have used for 6+years) 1Password.
As I manage 567 logins, it is very much worth the money.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That only really works as long your phone/tablet/laptop are brand new and your OS is the latest. Once you try to hang on to your device more than a couple years you are far better off to turn OFF automatic updates, as it becomes possible to update yourself to inutility.
There is no reason why a tablet shouldn't have the latest OS. My iPad is three years old and apps update automatically without any issues.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's why people should never answer those stupid posts on Facebook that ask if you remember your childhood phone number or address, etc. Those posts weren't done for fun, they were done by someone fishing for information.
If I regularly use an old phone number or old address as a password, I wouldn't be telling a random Facebook post what my old phone number or old address was.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 12-15-2017 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 12-15-2017, 04:38 AM

666 posts, read 513,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The Windows operating systems continue to amaze me. Microsoft makes obscene amounts of money and has huge numbers of employees. How can they do so poorly with operating systems? Windows 8 was a disaster. I am still using 7 which barely works, has constant updates, is prone to viruses and hacking. Every morning I make a pot of coffee while waiting for my Windows 7 software to load. Usually the coffee is finished brewing well before the software. And that is on my powerful desktop. I could walk around the block and brew coffee waiting for it to load on my laptop.
The slow loading has nothing to do with Microsoft. This is an age old issue resulting from the junk (trialware) that came loaded on your machine, as well as certain programs you downloaded after you bought it. Some of these programs are designed to load at startup, and that is what causes the slow down in Windows. The solution is to uninstall the trialware and disable the programs you don't want loading at startup via msconfig: https://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-...ms-in-windows/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement