Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The Windows operating systems continue to amaze me. Microsoft makes obscene amounts of money and has huge numbers of employees. How can they do so poorly with operating systems? Windows 8 was a disaster. I am still using 7 which barely works, has constant updates, is prone to viruses and hacking. Every morning I make a pot of coffee while waiting for my Windows 7 software to load. Usually the coffee is finished brewing well before the software. And that is on my powerful desktop. I could walk around the block and brew coffee waiting for it to load on my laptop.

Most of my apps work relatively well. They are tried and true photo processing apps that have been in use for years.
Someone needs a new computer. I find that windows 10 is a seamless jump from 7. As does my wife. She had to replace her W7 machine at her business with a W10 computer. No issues and she is not a tech person.

We both like our iPhones and fully utilize their capabilities. Well me somewhat more so than Mrs5150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not quite yet retired but what relevance is that? Are we using different versions of the apps?

I haven't called a "Help Desk" in 20 years. First of all, it's pointless. They are just phone monkeys reading from a troubleshooting script. Second, any problem that is with the app would be affecting lots of other people so a google search would reveal the problem and any workable solutions.
I google and always find answers for any problem I have with my phone and pad or pretty much anything in my life. I will admit any issues with internet connectivity causes me to lose my equanimity immediately.

I love high tech and am a high tech gadget junkie, but I spend my leisure time creating things by hand. It seems like a Jekyll and Hyde split personality, but it keeps me in balance.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Outlook is a fantastic program for email - I love it! Have used it for eons - at work and at home.
At least in the not too distant past, Outlook was the primary target for hackers to penetrate and get your contacts, so they could send them the viruses they just dumped on your computer.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
So far so good. But, my daughter in law is about to drop her third girl early next year. If she names her Alexa, we're screwed.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Apple has had serious issues with printer drivers. They actually just plain dropped support and did not provide drivers for some relatively new printers.
Worthless comment without specific printer references.
I look forward to your refutation.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Works just fine for me. I love the convenience/safety technology in my car, like adaptive cruise control with stop/start functionality, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and forward collision warning. I also have and use Apple CarPlay in my car and my truck. And all of my vehicles have Bluetooth for hands free talking. I have wireless cameras in each house and use them to keep an eye on things via an app on my smart phone. The garage door openers have gateways that allow me to remotely open and close them through an app on my smart phone. I can also check to see whether they are open or closed and when the last cycle occurred. I have smart TVs that I can stream any content to that I want to watch. Computers, printers, tablets and smart phones are all wifi connected. I'm 63 and have no problem adapting to new technology.
I really wish I had the money for one of those cars which does things like sensing cars are too close and slowing or stopping. I was a good driver until eye surgery scratched the cornia of the right eye, the 'main' dominant one. It and the other eye don't quite work together, and my perception of distance is faulty. The second time there was almost an fenderbumper I quit while I was ahead. But I'd feel so much different about this place if I could drive. Otherwise, all the cloudy parts replaced (lol I have bionic eyes) I have wonderful vision.

There is no public transporation here and my ride has left. Thank all the gods for online ordering.

But If I could afford a car which would know when we were too close and stop or slow the car, and such, I'd be able to really enjoy life a whole lot more. I don't mind living in this small town, so long as if I want to go elsewhere, I could. As I was sick most of my thirties on, but kept trying, I didn't add anything to social security, just the minimum. So it covers the bills and food, not much else, alas.

If I could move somewhere things like busses even exist it would be better but couldn't afford to eat, sigh.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is no public transporation here and my ride has left.
Time to move.
Look at cities with good transport options.
Public. Uber. Lyft. Taxis.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
https://internet.hughesnet.com/d/gen5.html

"it’s available everywhere so you can live where you love and stay connected"

"All plans come with 25 Mbps of download"
I have had satellite. It's OK for streaming, but with data caps you can't stream much. The speed of light kills your ping, adding half a second plus latency to every handshake. You can die of old age waiting for web sites to load. Slow DSL is comparable at less than half the cost.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Someone needs a new computer. I find that windows 10 is a seamless jump from 7. As does my wife. She had to replace her W7 machine at her business with a W10 computer. No issues and she is not a tech person.

We both like our iPhones and fully utilize their capabilities. Well me somewhat more so than Mrs5150.
The big irritation for W10 is when they decide to push a large update and it eats all my bandwidth for 3 days, making my internet unusable. Would it kill them to grab a keyboard and mouse interrupt and pause the download unless the computer was idle?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
My wife had an Apple. No thanks. It was way more expensive. A lot of my software is not available for Apple. I am interested in photography and photo printing. Apple has had serious issues with printer drivers. They actually just plain dropped support and did not provide drivers for some relatively new printers.
It's up to the printer manufacturer to provide drivers. If they choose not to support a small market, there is not much that Apple can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement